New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Bookworms 2020

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
476 replies 38.2K views

Replies

• gettingtheresometimegettingtheresometime Forumite
    6.4K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    elsien wrote: »
    Just read Cara Hunter - In the Dark, a twisty turny crime thriller. I didn't realise there was a book before it with the same DI but it didn't matter, fine as a stand alone story.
    Definitely a page turner which kept me guessing till the end. It's only when you finish it and reflect on the storyline you think "really?!" . Will have to go back and read the first one now.

She's done two more books in the series, ' no way out' & 'all the rage' - both good reads imo.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card / JD Williams cleared :) thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge
  • PollyflindersPollyflinders Forumite
    235 posts
    ✭✭
    Taking Flight by Adrian Magnuson

A very moving and funny road novel about a disaffected teenager and an old man with Alzheimer's escaping their lives.

I admit to crying at the end.
  • edited 2 February 2020 at 2:39PM
    elsienelsien Forumite
    24.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 2 February 2020 at 2:39PM
    Another alzheimers one, but a positive and inspirational factual one (not a word I often use, either.)
    Somebody I used to Know - Wendy Mitchell.
    Her story of how she was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's at only 58 and how she has kept promoting a more positive outlook for keeping going and the importance of research. It also gives some very useful insights into how people experience Alzheimer's for those of us who may be seeing it from an outside perspective.
    If you know anyone with dementia, you need to read this

And for anyone wanting to find out more, she is still writing her blog.

https://whichmeamitoday.wordpress.com/blog/
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • gettingtheresometimegettingtheresometime Forumite
    6.4K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well banishing the ipad/phone from the bedroom is certainly having noticeable effects (& it's only been 4 days!)…..sleeping better & reading more.

Finished last night 'The Family Upstairs' by Lisa Jewell which I found a really good read - it's written from three perspectives & you never really know where it's going to go.

Also finished an audiobook (well boss has been away this week) 'The Familiars' by Stacey Halls. Its set in the 1600s and concerns witchcraft trials & accusations of witchcraft and is, apparently based on true events & people. It was narrated well which made it for me - I'm not sure whether I would have enjoyed it as much had I'd read it.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card / JD Williams cleared :) thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge
  • belfastgirl23belfastgirl23 Forumite
    8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just read two John Puller novels by David Baldacci back-to-back - The Escape and No Man’s Land. It’s been a stressful week and thrillers are my comfort read :) I really enjoyed them!

• PollyflindersPollyflinders Forumite
    235 posts
    ✭✭
    The Aftermath, by Rhidian Brooke.

It was a recent film, Keira Knightly we didn't see it and I'm glad, as I'm thoroughly enjoying the book. Complex relationships in Germany immediately after the war.
  • edited 5 February 2020 at 10:58PM
    Ms_Potato_HeadMs_Potato_Head Forumite
    11 posts
    10 Posts
    edited 5 February 2020 at 10:58PM
    That's an interesting recommendation, thanks Pollyflinders - will bank that for later in the year!

One of my absolute favourite books of all time is The Book Thief. It really pulled me up short and make me think of the war from a completely different perspective x
  • ziggy2407ziggy2407 Forumite
    3.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    ziggy2407 wrote: »
    Popped to the library (one of my fave places), returned 2 and collected 3

Book 7 - one of the books I seem to have been waiting ages for

19th Christmas -James Patterson

Looking forward to more of your suggestions as I too have "Three Thing About Elsie" in the pile to be read.

Finished James Patterson's 19th Christmas and extremely disappointed, nowhere near as good as all the others, very little interaction between womens murder club members and a bit of a meh story.

However I have also read the wonderful "Three Things About Elsie" and I loved it - couldn't put it down but also didn't want it to end, fab story, great characters and I could totally relate to the "sheltered accommodation" setting (as my mum is in sheltered accommodation and I found myself comparing the characters to the real life residents and staff at my mums place).

Looking forward to more of your great suggestions as current read is another James Patterson (Revenge) as I happened to be early for pilates and bookless, so just had a quick browse at their recommended reads - our library is in a great centre - we have the gym, a pay as you go caf!, various meeting rooms with groups, swimming pool all in the one building and it would really be a shame to lose it services.
    2020 - Banish the clutter ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • cbsexeccbsexec Forumite
    402 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭
    Im always looking for new books to read so love reading others suggestions.

Ive just read One Day by David Nicholls. I really enjoyed it. Also read
    Three things about Elsie and loved that too.

Looking forward to more ideas
  • pollypennypollypenny Forumite
    29.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've finally started Hagseed.  It's Margaret Atwood's modern idea of The Tempest. 
    If you like Shakespeare, you probably know about the whole series by authors of good standing and read some or all of them.  I've just managed Vinegar Girl, by Anne Tyler, which was very good, and Macbeth, by Jo Nesbo. 
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)