Frump to Fab - A Whole New World.

Options

Comments

• misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,883 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Wednesday - I've also been going to bed earlier and have aimed to be in bed by 10.30pm each night. Can't say I've noticed a huge difference in how I feel yet but will keep at it.

Found yet more open hand creams :o I now have 7 sitting on the table beside the sofa. So will aim to use a few times a day and get them used up. Foot cream is almost used up as I've been applying it after every shower.

Been continuing daily body brushing and moisturiser and definitely think my skin looks and feels better. Found a few face masks so put one in the other evening :)

Flying down to Bristol this evening to see some friends for the weekend so shall pick out some fab outfits to wear and will make a proper effort to put on some make up.
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10802.94/£15000 (72% saved). Emergency fund - £1550.15/£2000 (77.5% saved).
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,663 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    misstara wrote: »
    Wednesday - I've also been going to bed earlier and have aimed to be in bed by 10.30pm each night. Can't say I've noticed a huge difference in how I feel yet but will keep at it.

I'm a night owl myself and unfortunately my bedtime has slipped from about midnight to 1.00.am or even later.:o

I'm blaming it on the dumbing down of the BBC!:D I used to make a point of getting to bed by midnight because there was a good radio programme on which had interesting guests on 5 Live. Simon Calder (on travel) was a favourite but there were lots of others talking about various lifestyle issues. Then the presenter was changed to IMO a lightweight DJ type person so I've no wish to get to bed until the programme is over.

I'm going to have to come up with a different bedtime routine.:)
    However, I do need to think about undies soon.

Since M&S stopped making my favourites I've switched to Victoria's Secrets for knickers. They're a bit more expensive but I really like them. For bras, after being measured in a local independent, I scour TKMaxx now I know the size although I haven't bought a new one for ages except the strapless ones which are JL own brand.
    I have been discovering things in my house as I'm decluttering.:D

On the fabbing front I am also charging my facial massage brush again. Another thing I forgot I had!

It's easy to forget about things so I'm sure a regular audit while decluttering is a good idea. I've not used my Clinique brush for a few weeks so thanks for the heads up. :)
    Might have a little mooch round the shops first. Although it's probably a bit early for the summer collections.

I try to have a general browse every few weeks. When the summer stuff does come in I know I need some holiday clothes for evenings. Not dressy things just cool and floaty.:)

I've had a really good pamper today. I deliberately didn't shampoo my hair yesterday as I knew it would get damp on my walk but having messy hair didn't do much for my mood. So today I feel so much better.

That being said, I did manage a good brisk walk and then we went to the pre Raphaelite exhibition. It was really enjoyable and pleasingly busy. Staff were telling us that having the Da Vinci drawings previously seems to have put our local gallery on the map. Then I picked up my new distance glasses and sunglasses. All I need now is some sun!:cool:
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 31 January 2020 at 1:38PM
    Options
    Good morning lovely ladies....

Last day of January. Wahoo. Always glad to see the back of it. It's horrible here, rain and wind so staying in, warm and cosy, just catching up with myself.

Joiner here yesterday, he's done a great job, sorted out the kitchen new layout, fixed a couple of bits and bobs in other rooms. He was brilliant, reusing and upcycling where possible to save money on materials. He charged me £90, including materials. Saved me hundreds on not having to buy new units. I'll paint them later when the decorator has done his bit.

I'm going to ask the joiner to make me some window boxes and planters when I have painted the outside. I can see it all now, it's all going to look very smart. No more nasty plastic planters.

I know I said no clothes buying but I picked up a gorgeous beaded cocktail dress from the everything for £1 cancer Research shop.:rotfl:

Right better get cracking......I'm getting hungry. :D
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I'm glad to see the back of January too!

I went to mooch around some charity shops today outside of my usual areas. I went to a hospice shop and thought it was quite expensive (£6 for a men's shirt?) and then found a Sue Ryder shop where everything was £3 or less.

In the two shops I bought a black and grey plaid shirt for my husband and a t-shirt, a shirt, two tops and a black coat for me. The coat is very nice and flattering and was only £3. I have probably mentioned I find it hard to find jackets and coats that fit me well so I was very pleased with that.:T

I am dyeing two of the tops blue now along with a set of my older white bed covers and a dress.:cool:

Oh yes, two dark red handbags too! I just bought the dark red boots so now I have three bags that will match them.

My husband is working all weekend during the day so I will use the time to catch up with housework as I haven't been doing much when I was ill.

I am going to listen to music while I clean the house as I am going to see a band at Ally Pally next week and I don't really know many of their songs!:D:p It's a great venue to go to.
    misstara wrote: »
    Flying down to Bristol this evening to see some friends for the weekend so shall pick out some fab outfits to wear and will make a proper effort to put on some make up.

I hope you have a lovely weekend.:)
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,319 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I’m pleased too, that we are at the end of January, as it means pay day. It’s been a llloooonnnnggg month.

I have been thinking about my 2020 plans, in terms of fabbing and I think I want to try more beauty treatments. I’m feeling less excited about clothes, shows and bags at the moment and I think that’s because I have build a good wardrobe with lots of choice and items that ‘spark joy’. I will of course, still indulge, but I will certainly be focusing more on treatments and enjoyable experiences. OH bought me a voucher for a beauty treatment for Xmas, so I’m going to book a facial. I’m thinking of trying microdermabrasion, to see if I can improve my skin. I’ll also check out groupon for beauty treatment offers.
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    Good morning lovely ladies

Sounds like a few of us are looking to shift focus slightly, buying fewer clothes and focussing more on experiences.

I have decided that this year I am going to dedicate both time and some money to improving my health and fitness. Currently looking at gyms and various classes and activities.

Sounds daft but I'm not ready yet to join anything, I'm just not fit enough to manage a full session so currently trying to start doing more at home.

It's slow going though......

I have put on another 2lbs this week. That's a total regain of 8lbs. I am so cross with myself. I can offer no excuses......Sheer laziness and stupidity. So back on the wagon.

I have been so lethargic just recently. No idea why, but its something I really need to tackle. And, like you, Chanie, I am upping the skin care. Good idea with the microdermabrasion.

Looks like a nice morning. Going to head out in a bit, get some fresh air and enjoy the sunshine. Just get off my derrière.....:rotfl:

Have a great week end y'all.
  • sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

On Thursday evening I went to a free workshop in Brixton Library hosted by the poet, songwriter and writer Roger Robinson entitled Unlock Your Creativity. It was very inspiring and thought provoking. It certainly made me wonder how I could turn my passion for writing poems and short stories into me becoming a published writer. Plenty of avenues for me to explore further if I want to go down that road. :T:D

Yesterday I went to watch the films Richard Jewell and Queen and Slim at Streatham Odeon using my Odeon Limitless card to buy the tickets. In the evening I went to my monthly Open Mic event. :D

ODEON says...
    "There is a bomb in Centennial Park. You have thirty minutes." The world is first introduced to Richard Jewell as the security guard who reports finding the device at the 1996 Atlanta bombing - his report making him a hero whose swift actions save countless lives. But within days, the law enforcement wannabe becomes the FBI's number one suspect, vilified by press and public alike, his life ripped apart.

Reaching out to independent, anti-establishment attorney Watson Bryant, Jewell staunchly professes his innocence. But Bryant finds he is out of his depth as he fights the combined powers of the FBI, GBI and APD to clear his client's name while keeping Richard from trusting the very people who are trying to destroy him

I really enjoyed this thought provoking film. Richard Jewell was a hero of the 1996 Atlanta Centennial park bombing. Within 3 days Richard finds himself bein vilified by newspapers and other media. It is shocking to see how much harassment that Richard and his Mother are subjected to before Richard with the help of his lawyer Watson Bryant is finally able to clear his name. I would give this film 10/10 :D:j

ODEON says...

While on a forgettable first date together in Ohio, a black man and a black woman, are pulled over for a minor traffic infraction. The situation escalates, with sudden and tragic results, when the man kills the police officer in self-defense.

Terrified and in fear for their lives, the man, a retail employee, and the woman, a criminal defense lawyer, are forced to go on the run. But the incident is captured on video and goes viral, and the couple unwittingly become a symbol of trauma, terror, grief and pain for people across the country.

As they drive, these two unlikely fugitives will discover themselves and each other in the most dire and desperate of circumstances, and will forge a deep and powerful love that will reveal their shared humanity and shape the rest of their lives.

Joining a legacy of films such as Bonnie and Clyde and Thelma & Louise, Queen & Slim is a powerful, consciousness-raising love story that confronts the staggering human toll of racism and the life-shattering price of violence.

I really enjoyed this film even though it explores racism in the police department and how it can lead to tragedy. I would give this film 9/10 :D

I went to my Open Mic evening where I performed my new poem entitled The Fat Lady's Swansong which was really well received. I wrote my poem yesterday even though I was really busy as I wanted to start the new year with a new piece of creative writing. We had a new singer join our established group last night which was a very welcome addition, as she was really talented. We are all hoping that she will return to our group in the coming months. :D
  • sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 February 2020 at 5:56PM
    Options
    Hello Ladies, My latest poem entitled The Fat Lady's Swansong

The fat lady looked at her reflection in her mirror and seeing all the rolls of fat around her middle, she sat on her bed and struggled not to cry

For this fat lady used to be slim a decade ago and she remembers how easy it was for her to stay slim without even having to try

But then came the years when the fat lady found herself getting bigger and she would wonder to herself why did I eat all those delicious mince pies?

But then the fat lady consoled herself with the thought that even if at times she hated her body, the men in her life found her shape very easy on their eyes

There was the man who loved to compliment her on the swinging sashay of her hips as he longingly watched her as she walked on by

There was the man who when he saw her wearing her low cut black top, would stare at her exposed chest and murmur to himself my oh my

Then there was the man who would talk eloquently about how she looked more than ten years younger and wax lyrical about her sexy lips and her beautiful eyes

The fat lady sat on her bed and out of the corner of her 'side eye' she caught another glimpse of her reflection which made her let out a loud breathy sigh

So the fat lady stood up, got dressed in her white, green and navy dress with the matching navy accessories and coat and said to herself at least now I have created for myself an air of glamour and an outward show of my skin deep beauty

Then the fat lady took a last look in the mirror and grabbed her bag and set off for her Open Mic night, to share another dose of her artistic creativity

Later that evening when it is her turn on the mic the fat lady does a performance of her new poem which is a small slice of her personal history

The fat lady stands there and feeling the support from the others as they applaud her efforts and the fat lady's misery ebbs away and all she feels now is glee

Finally the fat lady realises that slim or fat, makes no odds, for a writer she will always be, so the fat lady smiles at her audience, reinforcing to herself, I am in fact happy just being me
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,663 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing your poem with us sugarbaby.

I really enjoyed reading it and it's so clever the way you've used the repetition of the 'ee' sound to give it a pattern/structure without making it rhyme so much that it sounds like something on a cheesy birthday card. :T

Groupon is marvellous for deals on beauty treatments chanie and it gives a chance to try out various salons. Full price treatments can be very expensive though.

Sorry to hear you've had a gain in weight this week LL. It's hard not to be derailed. At home I eat very healthily but eating out is far more difficult. It seems to have got worse in recent years. There's so much deep frying for speed or adding pastry or bread to things as it's a cheap filler that stretches the meat. :(

I'm not doing very much this weekend although it's good to see the sun is out. I'll listen to the football shortly on the radio and do some batch cooking while I'm at it. Having home made ready meals in the freezer is a great help. :)
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    Good morning lovely ladies.....

Just a quickie, got a sore shoulder/arm again so not going to do much typing.

Love the poem SUgarbaby, you are one very talented lady.

I watched the Baftas last night, I love looking at the frocks. That and the Oscars. Thought Rene Zellweggers little pink number was lovely.

Nice day here again, we are having quite a mild winter after all. Hope I haven't spoken too soon. :rotfl: anyway great day for a little walk so I shall be off out later.

I'm back on the WW wagon. Feeling better already,

Hope you all have a great week. Keeeeep Fabbing. :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport