PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2020 - banish the clutter

Options

Comments

• nannywindow
    nannywindow Posts: 3,426 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I hope everyone is well, hugs for those in need and Happy 2020.
    My promised start to decluttering has stuttered a bit today. The DGC stayed over NYE/NYD and I'm still a bit weary. They did try to help us out by eating as much Xmas/NY food as was humanly possible, and then some more :rotfl: Anyway the rubbish bin and all the recycling boxes/bags have been emptied, although there is still a little bag of recycling in the shed which will now go out in 2 weeks time. ( It's not enough to warrant a tip trip.)
    I have found two toy guns, a Dr Who and a laser gun, no longer needed by the DGS who is now 10 and not a baby apparently ( when did he grow up to be so sensible :eek: ) The guns are ready for the cs, so a bag has been started :j
    Take care all and happy decluttering.
    nan
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Another day of decluttering.

Spare room & store cupboard done & I now have a car full of charity shop donations.

It doesn't look like I've done much but what I have is now organised which is starting to make me feel better.
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • 6mmglitterthing
    Options
    Hello all. I know I am late to the party , but I would like to join the declutter challenge.
    My aim for this year is 1000 items for the year.
    Over the past few years I have managed to make my flat a hoarders dream, but I have had enough and I need to get it back to a presentable state.

Since Christmas I have been a woman on a mission to tidy up and I have managed to throw away about 5 bags of rubbish for the bin men last week. Today I went through the bathroom and threw away iffy looking toiletries as well as about 10 pieces of rubbish (mostly old receipts)
    Therefore I am going to say that my total so far is 15/1000.

I hope I keep my motivation for the whole year!
    Joined April 2015 :j
  • StinkingBishop
    Options
    A bag to the charity shop today, with some paperbacks and children's clothes. 10/52 bags. It really is getting harder though, at first I could find loads of rubbish easily but now it's harder and needs much more sorting.

I also decluttered a hot spot in the kitchen, where all sorts of stuff just piles up. At the bottom of the pile, in a carrier bag, I found...some more shampoo! That is 10 bottles now!!! I don't think I'll have to buy any for a few years....
  • StinkingBishop
    Options
    Just thought I would pop by for another evening update.

I didn’t get around to checking the pantry, but I have just discovered ‘we buy books’ and put a few random Xmas books in that the kids don’t read anymore. Added a couple of DVDs and I made just over £20! ���� I have never sold anything on those kind of sites before and will be little skeptical until the money is paid into my account, but if everything is OK then I will definitely be rummaging through the book shelves a bit more!

by the way, I'd never heard of this site before, but found that I can actually get rid of a couple of academic textbooks from a past profession... I had no idea what to do with them, thought they were unlikely to find a buyer in a charity shop but didn't want to sell them on ebay. they are 4 or 5 quid each on this site! So happy with this, at least they won't be just binned!
  • griffinpark
    Options
    I need to declutter. I am trying to implement a one in, one out rule. Unfortunately the husband and children are less keen.

If I can get the craft stuff under control this year, that would be awesome. So I am frantically knitting, interspersed with a little bit of tidying/ orgainising/ rationalising. I am hoping that joining the challenge will force me to do it rather tha just talk about it.
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    1. Cardboard box recycled.
  • gilly1964
    gilly1964 Posts: 1,107 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Happy New Year

Welcome to the newbies and hello again to the returning declutterers.

I am in today with a vengeance, a big catch up on admin was number one priority

1 - 5 - Glass bottles to recycling
    6 - 7 - Cans to recycling
    8 - Big bag full of old paperwork taken into work and put into confidential waste for shredding
    9 - 13 - Old credit/debit cards destroyed and binned
    14 - 17 - Cardboard boxes to recycling
    18 - 19 - Polystyrene to bin
    20 - Phone call to RAC - renewal lowered by £50
    21 - Phone call to HMRC - tax code amended
    22 - 24 - Letters to banks to close unused accounts
    25 - Used up perfume bottle to bin
    26 - 27 - Used up shampoo and conditioner bottles to recycling
    28 - Phone call to breast screening to book previously cancelled appointment
    29 - Broken wine glass to bin
    30 - 62 - Xmas cards made into tags, remaining parts recycled
    63 - Magazine to recycling
    64 - 66 - Broken chairs to tip
    67 - Broken laptop to tip
    68 - 71 - Items donated to charity raffle
    72 - 87 - Various unused deodorants from male gift sets taken to homeless shelter
    88 - No longer needed sanitary products delivered to women's refuge

Happy Decluttering All
  • StinkingBishop
    Options

If I can get the craft stuff under control this year, that would be awesome. So I am frantically knitting, interspersed with a little bit of tidying/ orgainising/ rationalising. I am hoping that joining the challenge will force me to do it rather tha just talk about it.

loads of people have mentioned craft stuff, and I'm just the same! I think it's very difficult with craft items because you never quite know what's going to come in handy, so I'm reluctant to bin stuff. I also find knitting yarn tricky, because sometimes you've got a bit of it in a particular shade but not quite enough to do the pattern you want. A couple of years ago I did a load of Innocent hats, which were great at using up small bits, but last year just didn't have the time!:(
  • Marpau
    Marpau Posts: 133 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Good day today Christmas tree and decorations packed away into loft
    All hangers turned in wardrobes

11 plastic crate to loft
    12 Ball of wool from stash blanket 2 started
    13 uu candle
    14 uu sachet of moisturizer
    15-24 sachets of hair products binned
    25-26 bath sponges binned