PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2020 - banish the clutter

Options
Mrs_Salad_Dodger
Mrs_Salad_Dodger Posts: 4,893 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
edited 2 January 2020 at 5:07PM in Old style MoneySaving
To use Guineapigsqueaks/Sa1sysoo words “A new thread for declutterbugs in [STRIKE]2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 [/STRIKE] 2019!"

I was definitely not as productive in 2019 as I had intended :o NO full declutter and the only decorating was done by my DSis ;) - the hallway & the downstairs cloakroom :T

SO 2020 HERE I COME :D

The good intentions for 2020 (in between numerous holidays) are:

1. Finish DH’s office carpeting, put up a long shelf & declutter fully.
2. Decorate & re-carpet our bedroom. Not much decluttering required.
3. Sort & decorate the Room of Doom i.e. the spare room - a Decluttering nightmare ;):eek:
4. Embarrassed �� to say that the bathroom refurbishment + the living room & dining room redecorating/refurbishments will now be 2021 :o UNLESS we complete all of the above.

So who will make the 2020 decluttering journey with me? ALL are welcome :D Whether you are doing a major declutter or a maintaining declutter. This will be a supportive & encouraging thread - our aim being to declutter our lives of physical & electronic items & maybe even the stress of having too much ‘stuff’. Also it makes cleaning easier :rotfl:
I will also be awarding Gold Stars ⭐️ again :rotfl:

Plenty of options available on numbering the clutter out :D

2020 in 2020 or 52 in 52 weeks even 365 in 365 days or maybe by room. If you are feeling really adventurous a la basketcase (2018) - you can weigh the clutter out :D:D

Whichever numbering option you choose or you may choose not to number, we would love to hear both your success stories & your ways/methods of decluttering - they may not have worked for you but they may work for someone else :D

I am hoping that everyone who posted on the 2018 & 2019 threads will also post on the 2020 thread :D + lots of new people ;)

I know I am a bit early in setting up this thread but it can help to plan your decluttering - ‘To Do Lists’ are your friends :rotfl:

So join me in my quest to have a neat & tidy home with no hidden horrors :rotfl:

MrsSD
[purplesignup][/purplesignup]
If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??

Comments

• balabooberlies
    Options
    Okay

I'm in !

52/52 as I am not good at daily stuff. So 52 bags out of house to charity or dump. Have the whole house to do plus 2 garages.

(Is this how we do this ? )

Bala
    AKA : Bala La Boo & Bala Baloo

According to a lovely poster I am Bala the Brave who wrestled a Tiger.  You know who you are..... 

I HAVE A GOLD STAR and A MEDAL and a Title !
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi Mrs Salad Dodger,
    Please count me in. This is my fourth year of decluttering, third year of posting. I am going to link this with another challenge that I am going to do. Of which one component I have decided is to declutter 20 items each month. Sometimes I may group things and count it as one eg a bin of paper recycling. So my aim is to remove 240 items from the house. (If I receive any items from my darling mother then I MUST counterbalance the extra item in with another out). Gem-gem
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • oceanspirit
    oceanspirit Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I would like to join in again, please.

This year I would like to complete the emptying of my desk so I can get rid of it and complete all the final niggly bits which are mainly emotional stuff now plus the final few bags of paperwork.

The rest will be using up things I already have and making sure I don't bring new things in, especially clothes (although I do know I will need to buy some new socks in the not too distant future).

The end goal is to redecorate my home, a new kitchen and new carpet/flooring in the living room. I will need to save some more money towards this so that will be the incentive not to buy anything.
    Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    Yippee :j there are 4 of us already aboard the ‘2020 Decluttering Bandwagon’ :j.

Absolutely how we do it balabooberlies :T Setting ourselves a target is very helpful. Two garages ;) my DH would be so jealous :rotfl: Looking forward to seeing you in the new year :D

Nice to see you Gem-gem :T and looking forward to reading about your successes :D

Excellent plan oceanspirit :T. Don’t forget that your new socks in will be mitigated by your old socks out :rotfl: Maybe you & I can gee each other on re the decorating :rotfl:

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Definitely agree with the carp on the desk inspro, my nemesis. Along with my predeliction for sticking stuff in the garage.

Otherwise my home is okay and I am working on using up what I have. Austerity starts now.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • villagelife
    villagelife Posts: 3,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm in. I need to declutter and make use of stuff I have. I do need to be more ruthless with this as we are going to lose the understair cupboard next year. It is full of rubbish and does need to be emptied.

I will aim for 2020 items.
  • Foofoopuppy
    Options
    I will be joining you all, we are hoping to move next year so I will be decluttering as we clean/ pack, which we will be doing over the course of the several months it will take us to get there.
  • nannywindow
    nannywindow Posts: 3,405 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi MrsSD :wave: Please may I join in too ?
    I lost my mojo completely as I was quite ill in Oct and Nov but I am much better now........ just have to keep taking the tablets :rotfl:. However I feel I am ready to start again in the new year, if you'll have me.
    Thanks
    nan xx
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I will be joining you all, we are hoping to move next year so I will be decluttering as we clean/ pack, which we will be doing over the course of the several months it will take us to get there.
    That is an excellent incentive to de-clutter. I bought exactly 2 years ago....and still have a small box of office goods to unpack :o

It's mostly obsolete mobile phones and its paraphernalia, but I am very reluctant to recycle because I don't want any images to end up in the wrong hands. Nothing dodgy, you understand, I just value my privacy and that of those in the pics. Any ideas?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Matron_Midge
    Options
    I’d like to join you with a declutter please.
    We are lucky to live in a large house with a double garage but I’m afraid it rather encourages keeping things simply because we have the space.
    I will make a plan of where I’m going to start and my objectives and I will post them on here to keep myself accountable.
    Thanks in advance for allowing me to join you.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback