Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

2020 - banish the clutter - Page 4

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

2020 - banish the clutter

edited 2 January at 4:07PM in Old Style MoneySaving
3.3K replies 212.8K views

Replies

• short_birdshort_bird Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'll be back in 2020!
    Still posting for 2019 though, 14 days left :rotfl:
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
  • wmfwmf Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mrs SD I think it will be more of a gentle declutter maybe with the odd bit of oomph thrown in. Looking forward to it!
  • eandjsmumeandjsmum Forumite
    465 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I'm up for the challenge 20 things a month and will only include thins I'm
    not replacing so wont be including any paperbacks destined for CS as i'll probably buy more.:rotfl:
  • elsienelsien Forumite
    24K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Am I allowed to lurk without setting specific targets?
    I have a ROD masquerading as a study which I can't get into at present, and just stuff covering surfaces generally. I've got rid of some stuff but somehow made things look worse.
    Not helped that although I go out to work my contract is homeworkers, so my dining room is covered with an increasing amount of work paperwork that won't fit in the study.
    I thought reading what you folks did might motivate me to get rid instead of my usual trick of shuffling piles round different rooms in the house.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • greenbeegreenbee Forumite
    14.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Second freezer is gone :D

Fingers crossed the person who says they're coming to get the dresser actually turns up tomorrow when they're supposed to.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • Hi all,
    I was part of the 2019 thread and especially until May I did well at reposting in every week with my de-clutterings, then less so but trying again now.
    I don't set a target and definitely wouldn't work for me to count bags or items, instead, I try to be conscious about what is needed and aware of when I need to take action. Some examples:
    - I might sort through DS clothes and give to friend what he has outgrown for her son
    - My make up might annoy me, be messy, broke,old so I would challenge myself to sort that another week
    - another week I might go through all my books and donate on to charity shop
    -week after I might focus on paper and go on a big shredding session
    - sorting out undies that have seen a better day, odd socks etc
    - I might focus on a specific room of the house, or even section of a room such as shelves, high traffic area etc
    - towels, bedding, linen cupboard
    - if i am really lucky, the car might even get decluttered

I try to consider the environment and repurpose things, donate to others (animal shelter, playgroups, friends with smaller children) and charity shop (where most of it came from anyway)

Next year, my focus will be:
    - LOFT (we have lived here over 20 years and we can not barely even get up there)
    - continuing as above with specific areas/themes
    - redecorating the hallway and landing area
  • Mrs_Salad_DodgerMrs_Salad_Dodger Forumite
    2.6K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    And even more people :j:j

Looking forward to seeing you in 2020 short_bird :D

Looking forward to decluttering wmf - how bizarre :rotfl: only joking - definitely makes decluttering easier if you are looking forward to it :T

Welcome aboard eandjsmum :D

Absolutely elsien - lurk away ;) We are here to help each other in the ’campaign against clutter’. If you are so moved, it would be nice if you de-lurked occasionally to let us know of your successes ;) I have to say that I fully understand the shuffling of paperwork although I am even worse - I box it up :o

Fingers crossed 🤞 greenbee

I adore your plan for 2020, notmy1sttime :D I wish you every success with what sounds like the Attic of Doom :rotfl:

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives.

Savings Pot Challenge 1.10.20 to 31.12.20: £18.70 to 29.11.20
  • elsienelsien Forumite
    24K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you.
    The other reason for no targets is I only seem to have headspace for getting organised with general life admin at weekends. Can't seem to make time for anything other than planning the next day's lunch during the working week. Apart from lists. I'm very good at making lists.....
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • greenbeegreenbee Forumite
    14.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dresser is GONE :D
  • Mrs_Salad_DodgerMrs_Salad_Dodger Forumite
    2.6K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    elsien wrote: »
    Thank you.
    The other reason for no targets is I only seem to have headspace for getting organised with general life admin at weekends. Can't seem to make time for anything other than planning the next day's lunch during the working week. Apart from lists. I'm very good at making lists.....

There are many of us who love a list :rotfl: I am like you - love making the lists but have a problem actually following the lists ;) perhaps I should change my name to ‘Retired & Lazy’ :rotfl:

Yippee greenbee 🥳

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives.

Savings Pot Challenge 1.10.20 to 31.12.20: £18.70 to 29.11.20