PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2020 - banish the clutter

Options

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,798 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 January 2020 at 1:29PM
    Options
    I do have to collect some bags from parent today, which may well fill up the gaps emptied yesterday.
    Organza_Lace, sounds odd but if you can hang onto them for a few weeks then regift it might be easier - sort of the timescale that you would have used them in if you'd been able to. Although don't they have a shelf life on them, so you do need to check for that as well. I was brave this year and managed to ask parent not to keep buying jewellery from TV shopping channels for me - she means well because she thinks it's lovely, but it's just not my style and I now rarely wear jewellery anyway.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Wanna_Bee_Free
    Options
    OrganzaLace, please would consider being honest with him so it doesn't happen again?!
    I still treasure my gold star Mrs SD and have been reading along with you all in 2019.
    I did the hanger challenge where you turn your hangers the wrong way in your wardrobe and then a year later look at what you don't wear. In the wardrobe I did it in I only have 4 things, 3 glitzy which are staying and one skirt I love but is too small. Everything is getting another 12 months and I'm going to be brave with the other wardrobe today too!
    Happy decluttering!
  • Willowtree222
    Options
    I didn't go back through the bags, but instead added to it. I got rid of 62 books to the charity drop.

I have 40 in a box waiting to go to the website. Perhaps 365 items was a little low. I might change and make it 500. I also took three dresses of little ones to the clothing bank too. Will update my total later, but it's a fair few items today.
    Gave my sister another baking set too.

I'm struggling to keep track now. X
    Added it up 159 items
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • IrishRose12
    IrishRose12 Posts: 1,733 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nicnak wrote: »
    Does selling on ebay count? I have just decided to list a load of things that I know I can get a few pounds for rather than just send them straight down to the charity shop. x
    Yep, selling on Ebay counts:j well it bloomin better do as I've been counting those in for around 2 years now:rotfl:
    I'm drowning in stuff. My ottoman bed is full of stuff I don't know what to do with. My Son spent a fortune on smellies from Lush for me for Christmas and I'm heartbroken because I can't use any of it as my skin is super sensitive. I'm going to have to donate most of it but I feel so bad. My daughter bought me some bath bombs too but again, I can't use them as baths dry my skin out too much.

How do I get over the feeling of guilt though? No, I think it's all going to have to stay under the bed.
    Organza, have you tried lush items before? I have really sensitive skin, and my niece has really bad eczema but Lush products are the only items that dontbaffectveither of us at all. In fact I feel so much better after using just one of their bath bombs.
    If I were near you I'd take your lush stuff off your hands straight away as I always stick up. We went down to the store on boxing day morning to hit their sale as we were able to get double the amount of stuff for our money.
    Nicnak wrote: »
    I didn't go back through the bags, but instead added to it. I got rid of 62 books to the charity drop.

I have 40 in a box waiting to go to the website. Perhaps 365 items was a little low. I might change and make it 500. I also took three dresses of little ones to the clothing bank too. Will update my total later, but it's a fair few items today.
    Gave my sister another baking set too.

I'm struggling to keep track now. X
    Added it up 159 items

I don't count my items as I'd never be able to keep track I of stuff. When I'm in one of my decluttering moods I just keep adding stuff to a bag and wouldn't even think to count.
    Last year I done the bag a day challenge but for the whole year so I done 365 bags plus the rest.
    Pay all debt off by Christmas 2024 £537/£3,500£1 a day challenge 2024 - £91/£730 Declutter a bag a week in 2024 6/52Lose 24lb - 3/24lbs Read 1 book per week - 5/52Pay off credit card debt 7/100%
  • jacwins
    jacwins Posts: 545 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    13-14 My DH had a quick sort through a cupboard in the kitchen, 2 boxes of very out of date (and tasting disgusting) chocolates put in the food waste.
    15 Sorted out all my receipts / old out of date vouchers from my purse as my new Mr W vouchers went in. As did whole purse am counting as 3/52, must have had about 25 old vouchers in there some dated Aug!

Ideas - put hoodies on selling site, put a n other toy on selling site, find someone that wants children's hangers (have loads), do a bag full of shredding, spend 10 mins going through my letters etc in the kitchen (school newsletters etc), sell / CS baby cooking books, making jam tarts with jams in fridge that don't get used (batch 1 made, no jam finished yet)

Current totals 15/2020 3/52
    Thanks for all your posts, sprinkle of luck required now.
  • nannywindow
    nannywindow Posts: 3,412 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've had a very productive day decluttering :j. Items out in no particular order.....
    From the DGC craftbox-
    Playdoh-4 small cartons whose contents had gone hard.
    2 mini rolling pins to DH
    Plastic tablecloth
    Plastic tub, containing plastic knives and forks used for dough.
    Some used paper.
    Disposable foil tray.
    Lots of broken pencils/pens binned.
    Others-
    10 books to the cs and 18 for the DGC's shelving unit ( all mine from the 50's and 60's. Buntys, Beanos etc but still in good order )
    4 board games and Battleship to the DGC's shelving unit ( if they are in sight they may get used more )
    1 unused metal Easter bucket to the cs.
    2 pencil sharpeners ( from the xmas crackers ) to the cs
    A myriad of empty boxes from chocolates, crackers and cheese crackers etc to recycling.
    1 broken bird feeder binned.

Phew! I think I've forgotten some others, but as I'm not actually counting it doesn't matter, as they are all going in the right direction......... OUT !
    Hope everyone has a good day.
    nan
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    “The spirit of MSE” - I like it stellata & you are doing really well on your decluttering :T

You have got off to a great start Makethedayscount : It IS such a lovely feeling when you start to banish the clutter & you should feel very proud of yourself :D

Nicnak, absolutely selling items on Fleabay counts :D Once an item is out of your home it is no longer clutter :p We are all for ‘cluttering’ your bank account with the proceeds of sales :rotfl: Whatever monies you manage to obtain you should put aside for a treat/reward to mark your successful decluttering ;) Rather than change your target, Nicnak, keep it at 365 & celebrate when you reach it :j Then & only then set a new target ;) You are doing extremely well & hopefully your enthusiasm will rub off on me ;)

An excellent start Happy Kitties :T You brought a huge grin to my face at the mention of polishing your 2019 Gold Stars :rotfl:

What a superb total jammydodgersandrhl :T. Exceedingly sensible to set a time limit for sales ;) & I can see you have definitely caught the Decluttering Bug :p as once you have sorted you just want rid :rotfl: I am also very impressed with the advice to Organza_Lace :T

It is so lovely to see you Organza_Lace :D I really do think that jammydodgersandrhl’s advice should be heeded ;) and you have absolutely, positively no reason to feel guilty :naughty: It would be a shame to hide the gifts under the ottoman when other people would take so much joy from receiving them :) The other option is to donate to a women’s refuge - I am sure it would make them think that the world has not forgotten them :happyhear

You are so right elsien :T Also very well Done on gently explaining/persuading your dear parent to refrain from buying jewellery ; - saves money for your parent & saves you getting stressed ;)

Nice to see you Wanna Bee Free :hello: The wardrobe challenge is great & I wish you every success in thinning out your clothing :) I heartily approve of keeping the glitzy items - just because you haven’t been fortunate enough to have been able to use them in 2019; doesn’t mean they won’t get worn in 2020 ;) There is nothing worse than being invited somewhere fancy & having to brave the shops to find an outfit :( as you can probably tell I rather dislike shopping :rotfl:

A bag a day & more IrishRose12 :T That is a major achievement :T We all need to find the most suitable method for each of us to be able to successfully declutter our homes & lives of the inordinate amount of stuff we have allowed to invade :rotfl: Whatever method works :p

jacwins, with two of you decluttering there is twice the chance of success :T I bet your purse is a lot lighter now :rotfl:

Great work nannywindow :T ESPECIALLY the decluttering of craft supplies :T:T When the books have seen their last use & are still in good condition they may be saleable ;) for a treat for you & your family :rotfl:

My Decluttering is off to a very slow start

1 Ball of wool knitted into a scarf for the homeless (20 scarves in total :))

MrsSD
    1/2020
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • retiredinfrance
    Options
    Thanks, Mrs SD

More power to the poster who decluttered one cardboard box to recycling. These boxes are the hardest to get rid off in our house. DH treats them like old friends. Now that I need a few to use to move the books I have got ready to sell next week I can't say a word against them. Mending pile now finished and fetching wicker basket in which the laundry bag sits looks fetching rather than overflowing, Working on my next load - pile of rags for fabric recycling.
    Went to a big pound shop type of place with loads of home and craft stuff and - wait for it - bought no craft stuff. And cancelled a pm trip to charity shop as too tired after my morning shopping jaunt. Stopping the clutter coming in is the way to go. Funny, but when I read everyone's decluttering tales I get a good feeling, everyone is doing so well.
  • IrishRose12
    IrishRose12 Posts: 1,733 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    No this is the first year he's actually gone out and bought me something. He is 24 on Tuesday and normally just gives me money but wanted to buy me something this time. There aint no way i am going to risk offending him.

Yes many years ago, the main thing that puts me off is that several of the bombs and soaps have glitter in. I'm afraid if the strong fragrance doesnt affect me, the last thing i want is silver glitter up me menopausal chuff! Oh dear did i really say that? :rotfl:

Regifting them isnt really practical. My daughter knows what my Son bought me and also bought me some and my sister in laws birthday isnt till further on in the year.

Ive decided to donate them to this charity. I'll feel better about not using them then. Not perfect, but better.

Thanks for letting me talk about it through.
    That's a lovely idea.

Just so you know the glitter doesn't go any unseen places lol. Infact most of it actually dissolves which surprised me :rotfl:

I returned the coat today, and an unwanted Christmas gift that I'd bought then had a wander around the town.. I'm actually quite proud of myself as I walked around the shops but bought nothing. :T think thats the first time ever in my life ever I've went into town and came out with nothing :T I'm really chuffed with myself.

Off to put some of the Christmas decorations away before the rest come down on Monday:( I dont want to take them down, esp the tree.
    Pay all debt off by Christmas 2024 £537/£3,500£1 a day challenge 2024 - £91/£730 Declutter a bag a week in 2024 6/52Lose 24lb - 3/24lbs Read 1 book per week - 5/52Pay off credit card debt 7/100%
  • Willowtree222
    Willowtree222 Posts: 7,703 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What a lovely charity to donate to Organza, I am sure the ladies/gents/children there will be very grateful for it.

Thanks everyone, I will count my ebay items when/if they sell. I currently have 8 items listed.

My bookshelves are heaving with books (English teacher) so I needed to count otherwise it would just seem like I hadn't done a thing. I can't even estimate how many books I have. Most of which have been bought to read, and then left. I have lost track of a few other things, but I am trying to keep on top of it so that I can see how much progress I have made.

Today has been:
    62 books actually removed from the house
    40 sat in a box waiting to be posted
    3 pieces of clothing
    1 baking set to my sister
    2 items that belong to ex and are still here. He is picking them up later

I have just found a broken dvd player that my little one had which will be going to the tip tomorrow. My house still feels cluttered, but my mind is motivated enough to keep going. I wish I had found this thread last year. I had years and years of teaching resources in the garage that I hadn't used or seen since 2017. I just opened the cupboard one day and poured it all into the bin.

Thanks everyone for being so welcoming. It's lovely to see how many different methods you all have. x
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family