Energy: Find the cheapest supplier & earn cashback

Options

Comments

• oxters
    oxters Posts: 456 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    dougsdir wrote: »
    3 weeks ago I used www.energyhelpline.com to switch to Atlantic Electric and Gas but having just read Martins article he said not to switch to Atlantic as they are putting their prices up at the end of March.

Cheers
    Doug

Doug, I've been with Atlantic for a few years now. In my opinion they are competitive and I get one monthly payment of a rebate from each supplier - gas and elec once a year. What I'm not sure of is if the comparison sites take that into account or if they just compare rates,tarriffs and charges?
    It would be a significant factor. I've posed the question elsewhere on this site, so we'll wait and see. You should check the fine print on your contract so that you can, if necessary or permitted, switch again. Good luck.
  • moredough
    Options
    GTG wrote: »
    All contracts will have a minimum term, it was always 28 days since deregulation but I read on MSE that companies were changing to yearly contracts. You really need to look at your contract or on the web site, failling that give them a ring.

Forgive me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that once they've put the price up, you are free to leave at any time.
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Is there a problem with doing this at this time of year if you have low cashflow?
    E.g. If you've got a debit balance with existing provider (likely with gas, just coming out of the winter) you'll be paying that off over the next few months in your direct debit payments. But if you switch, presumably you'll have to settle the account in full.
    Doesn't affect us (currently in process of switching, but able to settle up with BG when necessary) but thought I'd raise the point...
  • twometrepeter
    Options
    Hi

Bit of a newbie question here, been in my house for about a year and a half now and decided to check my gas meter for the first time to take a meter reading so that I can switch. I have found my meter reading to be about 900 units lower then the estimate on my last bill.

If I switch to a new supplier what will happen to this excess? DO i need to claim the money back before I switch?

Thanks
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Bit of a newbie question here, been in my house for about a year and a half now and decided to check my gas meter for the first time to take a meter reading so that I can switch. I have found my meter reading to be about 900 units lower then the estimate on my last bill.

If I switch to a new supplier what will happen to this excess? DO i need to claim the money back before I switch?

Kind of contradicts my last post, but good for you. You've already done good money saving (not to mention environment saving) by not using as much gas as they thought you would.

As far as I am concerned when you switch they will give you back the money that you've overpaid. How long that takes may be another matter - might be best to ask them for a cheque sooner rather than later.
  • EagerLearner
    EagerLearner Posts: 4,976 Forumite
    Options
    Uh, Quidco has tracked £55 now for E)n - I knew that wouldn't last!

In terms of contract times, I need to get mine in the post and read up - if it's 1 year I will be canceling as we rent!
    MFW #185
    Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
    Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting :T
    YNAB lover :D
  • mud7dan
    mud7dan Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    my eon switch!!!!!!!! well readers, my move is going along smoothly.they wanted my elec and gas meter serial numbers,edf wanted also wanted to check my balance,i owed them some cash ,so i instantly paid up.prob,s that gas will do same. keep you all informed. trying to be money saver. ttfn
  • Little_Ettchy
    Options
    You may be interested in this tip for saving as much as £260 per year on electricity. http://money.aol.co.uk/save-on-your-bills/economy-7-electricity-how-to-pay/article/20070705070609990012
  • EagerLearner
    EagerLearner Posts: 4,976 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Mud7Dan glad it is going well - I am still in the 14 day cooling off period. I am interested to know whether they really are cheaper than EDF or it will all be for nothing but here's to hoping. I guess with the £55 from Quidco that's a saving right there, regardless of the next 12 months billing...
    MFW #185
    Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
    Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting :T
    YNAB lover :D
  • mud7dan
    mud7dan Posts: 33 Forumite
    Options
    :j :j :j
    Hi Mud7Dan glad it is going well - I am still in the 14 day cooling off period. I am interested to know whether they really are cheaper than EDF or it will all be for nothing but here's to hoping. I guess with the £55 from Quidco that's a saving right there, regardless of the next 12 months billing...
    I missed that extra cash!
    eon move. Both progress charts now have been out lined,just waiting for their next approach in asking for my meter readings.
    The big question will it save me? lets hope!
    one of my old suppliers now also has shut down my on line checking/info account.
    BEER:beer:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure