🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

British Airways refusing to refund me

Options
In June I purchased flights to take my daughter to New York for her birthday.
In August of this year a family court judge made an order refusing contact with me during October half term and that she must be with her dad.
I have contacted BA and explained that I can no longer take her due to the court order and that I can not change the dates of travel as there isn't another half term break that I am allowed to have her long enough.
BA are refusing to refund me stating they can only refund for genuine illness.
I've explained that this is a court order from a judge and that if I take the flights I could lose custody of my child.
BA are not interested and are refusing to refund me.
Can anyone assist me please?

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Presumably these are non refundable tickets? If so, then a change is the most you could hope for - what about full term holidays rather than half term?

a.ferra wrote: »
    I've explained that this is a court order from a judge and that if I take the flights I could lose custody of my child.

I think the less said about that particular comment the better.
  • George_Michael
    Options
    If as it sounds, it's a non refundable ticket that you purchased then BA are totally within their rights to refuse to refund you in full.
    If you cancel you will be entitled to some money back from the taxes paid but if BA charge an administration fee for processing the refund, this may eat up some or all of the tax refund.
  • a.ferra
    a.ferra Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    I've already explained that I can't change the tickets as this was for her birthday which is in October.

There must be something I can do as this is out of my control?
  • George_Michael
    Options

Apart from explaining to BA again and relying on their goodwill, I'm afraid not.
    Non refundable/non exchangeable tickets are far lower in price than changeable tickets for the simple reason that they have far more restrictions placed on them than higher fare tickets.
    The reason for not going being outside of your control in itself isn't a valid reason for BA having to allow a cancellation.
  • CakeCrusader
    CakeCrusader Posts: 1,118 Forumite
    Options
    Your solicitor should have advised against booking anything until you knew the outcome of the hearing. This isn't BA's fault, I'm sorry. Are you able to re-sell them? A change of name may be cheaper then losing the cost of the flights.
  • stripeyfox
    stripeyfox Posts: 474 Forumite
    Options
    If the flights were booked as "non refundable" with BA (which they always have been when I've booked them) then that is exactly what they are - regardless of the reasons for you not being able to travel.

I think you should get some of the taxes back though if you cancel.
  • Paul_DNAP
    Paul_DNAP Posts: 751 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I've already explained that I can't change the tickets as this was for her birthday which is in October.

I can understand that it is out of your control, but it is even more out of BA's control, apart from appealing for some goodwill gesture then they are perfectly allowed to stick to their non-refundable clause.
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

It's hardly in BA's control, is it? If you want cover against unexpectedly having to cancel travel then you get insurance - though I doubt you could have easily got insurance against the outcome of your court case.
  • KatrinaWaves
    KatrinaWaves Posts: 2,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You can still go. Either go on your own, take a friend (ask them to pay for the name change? Or the whole thing!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport