🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

British Airways refusing to refund me

Options

Comments

• Paul_DNAP
    Paul_DNAP Posts: 751 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Your solicitor should have advised against booking anything until you knew the outcome of the hearing. This isn't BA's fault, I'm sorry. Are you able to re-sell them? A change of name may be cheaper then losing the cost of the flights.

I may be reading too much between the lines here, but I get the feeling that booking the trip may have triggered the family court hearing.
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
  • SHAFT
    SHAFT Posts: 565 Forumite
    Options
    Still_Dave wrote: »
    As above, you being unable to use the tickets does not entitle you to a refund.

If she’s with her father it’d Be a nice gesture perhaps to let him take her, could you see if you could change the name on your own ticket?

If not, next best is to change the date until the courts aren’t banning you from contact.

I think the relationship with dad has stopped being nice.
  • CakeCrusader
    CakeCrusader Posts: 1,118 Forumite
    Options
    Paul_DNAP wrote: »
    I may be reading too much between the lines here, but I get the feeling that booking the trip may have triggered the family court hearing.

It looks like a child arrangement order to me. The judge has awarded the other parent access over half term which is why the OP can't take their child on holiday.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    As above, I'm afraid. BA have done nothing wrong so you're relying on goodwill.

I am puzzled though, because on your other thread, you said:
    Groupon are refusing to refund me, I am a single mum, this was a big treat for my little girl, I rely on only my income for her so losing nearly £80 is a big deal.

That seems incompatible with you buying a trip to New York. I understand that your financial situation may have changed in the last few months or that you were given money for the US trip, but are you getting support for financial planning?
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,562 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    BA do sell refundable economy tickets to New York that can be cancelled for a full refund. These cost £2.2k+ each
    with a non-refundable ticket you should be able to claim some taxes back. APD on an adult ticket would be £70+...(BA may charge a fee to process)
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Whatever the reason, definitely not BAs fault.
  • a.ferra
    a.ferra Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    Your solicitor should have advised against booking anything until you knew the outcome of the hearing. This isn't BA's fault, I'm sorry. Are you able to re-sell them? A change of name may be cheaper then losing the cost of the flights.

A solicitor doesn't need to advise me not to book anything as the judge is legally required to work around this as it was booked pre court case.
  • a.ferra
    Options
    You can still go. Either go on your own, take a friend (ask them to pay for the name change? Or the whole thing!)

No I can't go, I have to be in the UK to do the handovers
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    a.ferra wrote: »
    A solicitor doesn't need to advise me not to book anything as the judge is legally required to work around this as it was booked pre court case.
    I don't think it works like that. I would have thought that the judge will have made the decision based on more important things than a pre-booked holiday.

If, however, you think the judge is legally obliged to fit their order around your holiday, I suggest you speak to your solicitor to put the appropriate wheels in motion to have the order rescinded.
  • a.ferra
    Options
    Still_Dave wrote: »
    As above, you being unable to use the tickets does not entitle you to a refund.

If she’s with her father it’d Be a nice gesture perhaps to let him take her, could you see if you could change the name on your own ticket?

If not, next best is to change the date until the courts aren’t banning you from contact.

please keep this comment to yourself, the man that is a narcissist, has made it his mission to destroy our lives, has cost me over 100K in court fees by writing an application every week when he doesn't get everything his way, has destroyed my business and works part time sitting on his fat backside, evades paying any child maintenance has had enough handouts from me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport