PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

No offers

Options

Comments

• cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If they are not buying, selling or working in the property industry, it seems to me like a very odd hobby for 'permanent' posters to spend their time on MSE talking about property.

Just the same as people that come on here predicting gloom and doom, and worldwide financial disaster, one has been predicting property crashes for years but it still has not happened.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The longer an expansion continues, the nearer it is to its end.

I hope you will provide plenty of money and sympathy to people who come here when they start losing their jobs and homes in the recession (after encouragement to buy at the top of the market).
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    The longer an expansion continues, the nearer it is to its end.

I hope you will provide plenty of money and sympathy to people who come here when they start losing their jobs and homes in the recession (after encouragement to buy at the top of the market).

How will they afford to rent in those circumstances? At least they would have an asset to sell (even if it took a while).

Most people won't lose their jobs in a recession. Some, yes. If you lived your life worrying about the next recession (yes, of course there will be another at some point) and not buying anything, that would be far sadder.

As I said earlier, people are usually advised to buy carefully and within budget. It's actually hard to borrow more than you can afford - unless you lie or take out massive loans after. Also, nothing to say ALL of those people who lose their jobs have massive mortgages and have just moved or bought. I'm sure most would have paid something off. Many lenders allow you take a payment break if you've overpaid - which again is what I've advised.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    A further reduction in price may be required, but other options are

* demand that ex pays the rent you are paying as compensation for him living in the property while you are not
    * rent out a room - that would not make it an HMO (make sure you ex does not keep the rent though)
    * ensure he is not there when viewings are conducted. Speak to the agents and see if he has been during past viewings. It does not take much to put a buyer off ("we're going through a messy divorce I'm afraid so till that is sorted we won't be able to Exchange"). Most buyers would then move on. That may well be what's happening
    * Move back in yourself and make life a misery. Short term pain, but.....
    * go to court. this should be sorted as part of the divorce settlement
  • System
    Options
    hazyjo wrote: »
    At least they would have an asset to sell (even if it took a while)

No. If they lose their jobs in the recession and default on their mortgages, the banks own the deeds, and would normally repossess the properties and sell them.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Most posters on here who pump the market, or try to, are more likely to be carrying a lot of mortgage debt than working as EA`s, and a few might be BTL landlords, IMO.
    Who knows and who cares?

I'm quite interested in some conspiracy theories, but yours regarding posters on MSE is definitely the most boring I've come across!
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hey folks! There's no more cake so stop feeding........!!
  • System
    Options
    Those people who are encouraging others to buy at the top of the market, just as the economy is faltering, need to take some responsibility when buyers default on their mortgages and lose their homes. I think it is only right to start crowdfunding chartable assistance for people who come here seeking help on this in the recession.
  • System
    Options
    “Those people here who are encouraging others to buy at the top of the market, just as the economy is faltering, need to take some responsibility when buyers default on their mortgages and lose their homes. I think it is only right that they start crowdfunding chartable assistance for people who come here seeking help when they lose their jobs and default on their mortgages in the recession.”

That’s made my evening, I’m howling.....:rotfl: genius........take responsibility - omg I’m crying aaaaahaaaaa
  • sst1234
    sst1234 Posts: 118 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Those people who are encouraging others to buy at the top of the market, just as the economy is faltering, need to take some responsibility when buyers default on their mortgages and lose their homes. I think it is only right to start crowdfunding chartable assistance for people who come here seeking help on this in the recession.

Still here pressing refresh every 10 seconds to see if there’s anyone to converse with, I see!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure