NST September - A Simple September

Options

Comments

• lcc86
    lcc86 Posts: 2,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Evening all,

Another NSD here, just went horse riding and went to the gym afterwards as well. Got some jobs done at home, cleaned the entire fridge and freezer and found some very neglected food that I can use up over the next few days. OH has had a terrible day, his work van has broken down for the second time in as many months. Last time it cost £1,500, most of which is still on my credit card waiting to be paid off. He thinks it's the same problem again he desperately wants a new van but took out a loan earlier this year to set up his business. We looked at borrowing money on our mortgage last month but they rejected the application so we really are stuck. He's never been in debt before (apart from the mortgage) until he got this loan and since then it's been one thing after another. I'm trying to be positive and hope it's something simple that can be easily fixed on the van but we won't know for a couple of days.
    Save £3,000 emergency fund #79 - £1,796 as of 04/24
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just popping in to cleaim NSD 7 / 15 :j
    Nothing spent today, I was babysitting for a big chunk of it.
    Did a few small jobs before and after: 'planted' some prepared hyacinth bulbs in my lovely old coloured glass bulb vases, cleaned my old leather boots which I have had reheeled, blanched and froze some beans, made a batch of roasted tomato sauce from some tomatoes that were getting a bit past it, watered the winter salad seedlings in the greenhouse, that kind of thing :)
    All food was from home :)

I have a dental appointment tomorrow, and then straight after we are going away in our old camper van for a couple of days, to make the most of the nice weather :) Dentist won't be cheap (only private round here unless you are on benefits / a child) but we will be taking most of our food away with us so don't anticipate much in the way of spends while we are away, apart from camp site fees, fuel and fish and chips on the beach one evening :)
    'See you' when I get back!
  • mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Absolutely exhausted, not expecting to be able to walk tomorrow but pleased with myself (although hurt so much I've been trying not to cry for the last 5 hours. Lots of money spent but none of it was mine.

Tried to pack all my stuff in the rucksack and then set out to buy bedding plants armed with a handful of bags for life. Decided to cal in at the hospice furniture shop on the way to ask if they got 2nd hand s0da machines (only a few of our charity shops will take electrical goods and I know they PAT test them all before selling.

I saw a bed through the window and went over for a closer look. All metal (wooden head and foot boards) with a controller to let you raise the head end, the foot end, have it slightly slanted. It even moves up and down so you can have it near the ground or raise it (would help if you were treating the person in the bed).

It was £150. I asked if I could put a deposit on it and return when I had spoken to my mother. They couldn't do that (too much paperwork ) but would put a sold sticker on it as long as I came back to let them know if it was wanted or not. I phoned mum and then went to get the cash out of her account. It's being delivered on Thursday and they will put it together for me. It's medical grade and the original price is just under £2000.

Will still need to buy a mattress. Mum said it would have to be one that would bend. I said all mattresses bend (especially when DS3 the mattress wrangler gets his hands on them).

Then set off to buy the bedding plants. Display shelves were covered when I saw them. Today I bought the last 3 flats of cyclamen. Bought 6 flats of pansies reduced to 50p and £1. Also bought 6 more of the white tin buckets I like (plan to put pairs either side of the patio doors, side door and shed door at mum's - well she left it up to me).

Bought the water filter and a 3 pack of spare cartridges. It looks like they are going to discontinue that model in favour of the more expensive 'advanced' model which still looks like a bargain next to the brand one. Will buy more cartridges if i see them. As it's living in mum's kitchen she has paid for that as well.

Then I set to stripping the room that the bed is going in. Brought the cushion inners donated by one of the attic clearing twins through and tried one in the cushions that have gone flat. Mum wanted me to wash all four cushions and the curtains so some clambering (opened the top windows so I could hold on whilst going up the steps and tied a big knot in my long dress so i didn't trip on the hem).

Used water from the water butt to soak all the bedding plants. Moved about 10 large bags for life or equivalent out of the room and later into the shed (plus a walker and two bin bags full of teddies). All mum's partner's stuff has been listed and moved into 2 of her bedroom drawers (except for the 2,000,000 candle power rechargeable torch which had to go on top). Also put the items and locations of other of his possessions for when his family are ready to deal with it (already given the tape of one of his sons and his wife on bullseye to one of the twins who was collecting family memorabilia).

Moved the large, heavy, ugly table into the yard (dragged it to the door, got one end over the doorstep, dragged it until the other end reached the door and then rolled it on it's side) and five chairs but mum has decided she wants to keep some of the chairs. Covered the table and two chairs with the cover for the garden swing.

I've also reconstituted two blocks of coir compost (should be 40l when done), made a korma with a bit of chicken and lots of cauli and broccoli, measured for a replacement curtain rail (current one is duct taped together), put the water filter together, brought the cushion covers and curtains back in and stuffed the cushions and redone the green cross emergency bottle with an up to date list of mum's medication (last done in 2016). Mange to squeeze all the medications and dosages on one sheet of A4 and filled in the little yellow booklet with names, addresses, doctor details, location of medicines etc.

Didn't get to try the filtered water, chop any veg (had taken cabbage, leeks and celery with me and was going to use some of the carrots in mum's fridge or do any sewing.

Today i am grateful for getting a lot done, for finding a bargain bed and for reduced price bedding.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • sashanut
    sashanut Posts: 3,252 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi all:j

Not an NSD today as always a shopping day, but didn't spend much - either in the SM or CS for a change, so still on 7/15.

No visit from friend today as she is on holiday, so easier day. Posted the 2 sales & took a purse to the CS for them to sell. Nearly have as many purses as bath mats (27!!) and nothing to put in them. Plus I use the same one all the time..

All meals from stores & made a pudding from the fruits of the garden.

Hope to get much done this week if the good weather continues, will be washing the carpet that had the flood, see if that makes a difference.

DD has her new housemate moved in today, they seem to get on very well so far. Both in the same line of work which helps a lot.

Need to make a plan to continue the simplification tomorrow, have also to make a cake for Friday to sell for the charity I work for.

Popping in to say hi: Hello turtles!!
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 :eek:. Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE :happyhear
  • apple_muncher
    Options
    Mothernetd - that bed is a stupendous find! Well done! Hope you are able to move at least a little today...
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    lcc86 - hope the van turns out to be a cheap fix.

mothernerd - that bed sounds like a good buy.

Shouldn't be spending any money today, kids are both back at school, DS is much better, DD is better but still full of cold. Have cycled this morning and called the dentist, am booked in for next Wednesday, tooth is hurting but Ibuprofen when needed keeps it bearable.

Lots of washing line dried yesterday, will do some tonight to peg out tomorrow. Sorted out a couple of winter coats to donate but think I might give ebay a go first.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • mothernerd
    Options
    Feeling better than expected but not planning to run any marathons or do heavy lifting.

I have just been downstairs to see if i was in time to put the bin out (no) and had to hold on to the end house wall for the last bit and rest a couple of times. Brought joghurt and porridge oats and the fixings for sandwiches (last of the dip for spreading, ys wholemeal buns, cheapo ham and the last 5 tiny tomatoes) back upstairs with me plus the clothes I brought in yesterday and bag of rags to clean the bathroom.

I will go and wash soon and then plan on doing phone calls (when I find the charger) and catching up on the 'to be gifted' sewing (lavender bags if I can't concentrate on the embroidery). Also need to rationalise last week's to do lists. i had one for mum then started one for me, both written on mum's appointment letters from the week before. Lots done but maybe some jobs or info to swap across.

Today I am grateful for my bed, binmen and having enough.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • Calling14
    Calling14 Posts: 3,498 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Wonderful news Toni's friend. :T:THow fast do you get the money? I was like that beginning of year when I found out I got a small pension that I never knew I had, must have read the letter loads, roll on end October, when cash appears in my bank account.

I might as well give up with NSD's as today I have plumber returning to sort out drainage problem, lots of drilling through outside wall. So will see how much that will cost quoted me £60 whereas others quoted me double that. Plus another little job - charge unknown!!!!!! Will be great not to have drain smell everytime I use my washing machine. Otherwise I wont be spending - having no cash left. :(

Washing out today, really cold this morning, heating still not going on. Was tempted last night but had a hot shower to warm me up.:)

Finding it difficult to decide what clothes to wear for work as so cold first thing and then gets warm mid afternoon.

Charity bag out for collection today. I must do some blackberry picking this week done none this year. Still got 1 tub of them left from last year in the freezer, with brexit might need to stock up:D
    LBM 13039 1.1.13 Now £0 Finally Debt FreeMortgage free Oct 2019:)EFund/savings £25000 10/11/22
  • misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,880 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Spent a lot over the weekend as was away with OH but all budgeted for and paid for from holiday fund. Yesterday was a NSD and today will be as well which will take me to 9/15 NSDs. Just away to head out for a walk, will pick some brambles when I'm out and make a crumble for tea.
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10552.61/£15000 (70.4% saved). Emergency fund - £1437.01/£1500 (95.8% saved).
  • Toni'sfriend
    Options
    Hi Calling

They say the payment will be made by cheque by 4 October but I suppose it might arrive sooner. However, I go on holiday for three weeks on 27 September so it will probably be nearer the end of October before I can deposit it in my account. So long as the cheque arrives I don't care.
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure