NST September - A Simple September

Options

Comments

• mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thanks for the water filter suggestion. It really is awful. people will say 'it's only water but when you have never drunk mucn else you can tell. Even bottled water I have to take a label when travelling and compare all the tiny particles - I can only say that if the sodium content is too high, it tastes 'earthy', like catching a crab with your spade when digging and you end up spitting soil out of your mouth.

Mum even got me to buy bottled water to have with her morning pills. She can cope with tea made from the water but not drinking it neat. I have made progress. Located several 2nd hand ones on gum tree but they are all in yorkshire (nearest ones, lots down South). facebook selling page had quite a few, a couple near liverpool but most near Manchester (Sale, Altrincham, High Peak).

I had been thinking about having a few days away on my own. My plan was to buy either a week long train ticket or one for the 'Witchy bus' which runs from Manchester to Pendle, Blachburn and places like Skipton. Thought I could do several days out with possibly one overnight stay (that would mean taking the machine though so perhaps not). I'd also like to see the Pandas at Edinburgh Zoo originally later on or next year but they are having a gigantic lego display this month and into October so may go to see that. The people at our table on the last holiday were saying how dreadful it is when the Festival is on (far too many people).

Ir I can save on the s0da stre@m then I will have more than covered the cost of the ticket (collecting the s0da thing would be included in days out). After much hunting I found the details I had saved - website claimed ignorance of anything called a rover.

Anyway the rail rover tickets can either be bought for a weeks travel or any 4 days out of 8 (this might suit me better as I could still see to mum and rest if I did too much in one day). The four options are Coasts and Peaks (North Wales, south Mnachester and the Peak district), North which covers the top end, border with Scotland (would be more expensive as it only starts level with Preston so would have an extra fare on top), North East which is Leeds to East Yorkshire and up to Cumbria overlapping with North West which goes as far South as Altrincham, North to Carlisle, includes Blackpool, Southport, Lake district and that coast and West Yorkshire - think the Carlisle to Settle line is the overlap with NE. This costs £52.50 for the 4 days out of 8 (with railcard discount) or £62.60 with discount for the week.

Will ponder more. I also have a mount-ain Warehouse discount which I may use as they have the stuff I need to re-proof my winter jacket (Beloved put in the the tumble dryer). I did get to little Arseda and have lots of 10p bread and packs of parsnips (will take to mum's and prepare them there then put away for 'c''). Bought cordial for DS3 as he has gone off summer fruits and wants apple and blackcurrant again. Beloved will use the other up and a small pack of fake hob nobs as i resisted the real thing even though they were only £1 a pack. Food bank donation will be done another day.

Fed for free as DS3 gave me his leftovers - noodles in curry sauce with onions and peas plus a couple of chips he had missed (no chicken). Very filling. I have also taken some of last year's turkey out of the freezer to turn into stew. Lunch was also found in the freezer.

Want to do another little walk but so tired - may have to be walking round the car park as it's threatening to chuck it down again. Grateful for this group and its collective wisdom and kindness.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • apple_muncher
    Options
    Today I am grateful for the wealth of info freely available online, for having a car, for chatting with a neighbour, for good food, for cuddles from dd, for the Roman Mystery books (we are mysteriously missing book VII so I need to ask the latin teacher for a copy tomorrow as I'm on VI now), for a warm dry day, for a comfy bed.
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • sashanut
    sashanut Posts: 3,252 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi all :j

A fair bit of cleaning etc today to make house suitable for non-pet owning visitors, always takes quite a while but a book I got in the CS (for a joke really) about the psychology of cleaning I think is actually helping..

Also made cake, made mistake of asking DH what type he would like rather than make the easiest one. He said coffee & walnut. OK not difficult, but then a panic as couldn't locate the liquid coffee to make it with, urgent as it was ready apart from adding that. Finally located - aha - in the baking cupboard, where else? Turned out OK.

Visitors faffed me about, after saying they would not be coming before 2 - but probably quite a bit later but would lmk on the day. No word from them & I normally put on a spread, well a small buffet type meal with cake after. Message said 'we will just pop in for a cup of tea' so DH refused to go to the farm shop for supplies, saying they were expecting a cup of tea - so tea & cake was fine for mid-afternoon. They never let me know what time so messaged them & they said, 'oh, probably 1.30' but actually came around 1.15 - we had just had lunch. Felt bad as they are elderly & not well. Anyhow, turns out they had actually been for lunch somewhere....why couldn't they just have said? but it was OK in the end..tea & cake was fine

Another unexpected NSD as no purchases made so now on 7/15

Short time outside in the garden, filling the brown bin for collection. Dogs had got into the greenhouse again & eaten some spent compost, I swear they are a most peculiar breed.

Diet has been rubbish today, no proper meals & not much F&V. Although DD did get some blueberries from MrS for 10p which I have earmarked for my cereal tomorrow.

Popping in to to say hi : Hello Turtles!!
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 :eek:. Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE :happyhear
  • lcc86
    lcc86 Posts: 2,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning all, just checking in. Yesterday was a NSD, was up very early for horse riding and then volunteering, came home for a shower and then back to volunteering for their anniversary party. The weather was absolutely amazing and we really enjoyed ourselves.

Today I was up early to walk a friend's dogs, just having breakfast now, I've made a list of all the jobs I need to get done this week while I'm off work so I know what I need to be getting on with. Will head off to the gym later and also do some studying, need to buy a few bits in town after the gym so it won't be a NSD but all spends are planned and nothing extravagant.
    Save £3,000 emergency fund #79 - £1,796 as of 04/24
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mothernerd we had the same problem with our water going from lovely to totally undrinkable even as tea or coffee and bought a water filter from Wilk0

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-24l-filter-jug/p/0238284

It currently has £2 off so is a fiver and the cartridges are reduced too if this is within your budget.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • f0xh0les
    f0xh0les Posts: 6,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I love the idea of your Northern England Inter-railing Adventure mothernerd.

Yesterday's creativity allowed for NSD7, I mean, who said you can't have marmalade on scones? I am sure Paddington would have approved.

Today's exercise in simplicity was to strip all 5 beds and remake them. It is a simple pleasure, to slip between clean sheets. Of course it is grey and drizzly here today, but there is always tomorrow to get them all on the line.
    Filled the car with petrol, all food will be from stores, I have enough lunchbox tat to do them until Thursday.

So I am hoping that today will be NSD8, I am volunteering later tonight, and....... on with the clearing and cleaning - still waiting for the woodland animals to come and help out, a la Snow White.
    4/10/22One Year Mortgage Free Yay!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
    ******PROUD MEMBER OF THE TOFU EATING COALITION OF CHAOS !!!******
  • Toni'sfriend
    Options
    NSD No 11 (I'm not going out so I'm not going to spend anything).

I've just had a huge shock. About six weeks ago I asked a company I had loan with over 20 years ago to check if I had PPI. I thought I had but it was so long ago I didn't have any paperwork not even the account number so I wasn't holding my breath. They've just offered me £6613.68. I am sure that's more than the original loan and they didn't even ask me to fill in a claim form. If I hadn't given up drinking for the time being I'd be sitting here with a very large G & T to go with the huge grin on my face.

Earlier today I phoned Virgin to ask about a loyalty bonus that has come to an end and they are reducing my bill by £15 per month,

What a good MSE day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll be back later when I've calmed down.
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Wow Toni's friend, what fabulous news! :j Have a :coffee: to celebrate :D
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Toni's Friend! Congratulations! That's absolutely wonderful! Now that you've given up drinking, have you heard of mocktails? No alcohol cocktails? Souns tailor made for you :):):)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Toni'sfriend
    Toni'sfriend Posts: 4,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 September 2019 at 2:06PM
    Options
    Thanks, XSpender, doing that right now with a lovely scone and jam.

Karmcat - Just giving up till I go on holiday in a couple of weeks. I'll have a wee celebration then,
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure