Car Insurance Article Discussion

Options

Comments

• awacko
    awacko Posts: 341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Currently with Aviva - but coop beat it by about £50. Anybody know which
    is best - thinking of phoning Aviva and see if they'll match my quote but am wondering if I'm better to switch.
  • HOPEFUL-HEATHER
    Options
    Im just renewing my car insurance.
    I was mentioning to someone in work that I dont apply for the "legal cover" option and she was horrified. :eek:
    Ive been driving for years and always thought it was one of the ways of getting something you dont need and paying extra for it. Does anyone know what it entails and is it a good idea to apply for it?:A
  • Philycheesesteak
    Options
    http://www2.firstdirect.com/1/2/insurance;jsessionid=0000oGwOY0BIJsjarpyPnZr0JSf:11jkiufhq?clear=true

My insurance went up this year despite no incidents, my wifes went down though?? anyway...

I did follow Martin's tips unfortunately the comparison/cash back sites couldn't beat my renewal quote(s).

We've recently moved banks to First Direct and were told about their current deal insurance deal which beats any renewal by 10% (15% for other cars in the same household).

It's a like for like quote and you have to provide evidence of the quote, along with any no claims bonus proof.

I don't think they'll beat a better quote you've found, only your current provider's renewal quote.
  • Philycheesesteak
    Options
    Im just renewing my car insurance.
    I was mentioning to someone in work that I dont apply for the "legal cover" option and she was horrified. :eek:
    Ive been driving for years and always thought it was one of the ways of getting something you dont need and paying extra for it. Does anyone know what it entails and is it a good idea to apply for it?:A
    I have it for if someone hits me who is uninsured or hit and runs...

But I also had it for if there was a case I wanted to bring to court. However in that respect it's worthless. Case: Lorry was in the left hand lane of a large 3 laned round about turning right, ignoring road marking hit my wife in the rear who was in the middle lane going straight. My insurance company wanted to settle 50/50 because we had no witnesses and the lorry driver claimed in his statement he was in the middle one (despite road marking stating this is still the wrong lane for turning right!!). I said I wanted to take it to court, I have legal protection surely that's what it's for. They said no.
  • Philycheesesteak
    Options
    awacko wrote: »
    Currently with Aviva - but coop beat it by about £50. Anybody know which
    is best - thinking of phoning Aviva and see if they'll match my quote but am wondering if I'm better to switch.
    When it comes to matching quotes after you tell them you've found better. I refuse on principle. I've been with you for x years been loyal but instead of giving me the best deal you push your prices up in the hope I'm too lazy to look else where and shift.
  • stevel8407
    Options
    my son just passed his test within the last 48 hours don t think he will be driving for a while ,the quotes were nothing short of scandalous , and not realistic i mean he a young student with a part time job just to keep body and soul together and all that , but got a quote for a 1 litre vauxhall corsa hardly a dangerous machine in any one eyes but £4033,93 where do they get that from !after all the lessons an
    stresses of the test itself plus all the financial trauma of getting his licence was it really worth it ! what kind of a message are they trying to convey here ,to young drivers !
    steve,
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    pwpevans wrote: »
    I said I wanted to take it to court, I have legal protection surely that's what it's for. They said no.

That's what they mnake you think it's for to get you to buy it!

In fact they will only fight a legal battle for you if they think you have a good chance of not only winning, but getting paid as well!

"Legal protection" is a misnomer - it should be called "uninsured loss recovery", because that's all they will do - and again will only pursue it if they decide that you have a good chance of winning. Something you can do yourself for small amounts or use a claim handler for large amounts/injury etc.
  • markbass
    markbass Posts: 199 Forumite
    Options
    Can someone point me in the direction of the cheapest insurers to insure my boy who's 17, getting rediculous quotes of £2,300 for a 1.1 corsa.

Cheers Mark.
  • s_gunn
    s_gunn Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all!

Just wondered if anyone knows the repercussions of not cancelling your car insurance when you've sold your car?

I paid for the policy in full at the start of the contract and now I am over 8 months into it which means that I will receive no refund, incur a £35 cancellation fee and also forfeit the no claims I have built up. :mad:

The only reason that I'm selling the car is because I am becoming a named driver on a motability car and therefore all insurance etc is included. :T

Basically, I just want to know if I'll be breaking any laws and if the person who buys the car will have problems insuring it etc etc?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!
  • linz
    linz Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Evening all,

I have a question about car insurance/cashback.

I've been looking at new quotes for when my policy is due for renewal in a few weeks and it's come up with a few pretty good ones. One thing that is confusing me is if I were to go with Swinton, through Topcashback for the £40 cashback, the offer includes a £70 cashback cheque that i would receive after 90 days of the policy starting.

Does anyone know do these insurance companies pay the cashback sites AND these separate cashback offers? IE will I get my £40 from Topcashback and a £70 cheque from Swinton after 90 days?

There are a few others but this Swinton deal is the cheapest (if I were to get both lots of cashback)

Thanks in advance!
    #2 - Save £2024 in 2024
    #35 - Save £12k in 2024
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills