Car Insurance Article Discussion

Options

Comments

• luci
    luci Posts: 5,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    cp3go wrote: »
    To save money on car insurance I just went the confused.com route and went for the cheapest option. Working for very few hours and doing charity work helped lower the price as well.

Swiftcover by any chance?

Many of these policies are cheap for a reason. You really need to check the cover provided rather than go on price or it may come back to bite you should you need to claim.
  • dannodw
    dannodw Posts: 716 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My car insurance is up for renewal in the next couple of weeks. I did a quote a few weeks ago, to give me an idea of prices.

The cheapest was with swift cover, costing £504. This is with 3 years no claims and is around £250 cheaper than last year.

Did another quote today in preparation for buying and the price has rocketed everywhere, the cheapest still being swift cover but at £673!

Being young (20) I know its not going ot be cheap, but on average it has been dropping at least 200-300 a year.

What's changed within the 2 weeks of me doing a quote?

To say im peeved is an understatement!

I have used comparethemarket, moneysupermaket and confused.com by the way.

Thanks.

Dannodw.
  • Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    dannodw wrote: »
    My car insurance is up for renewal in the next couple of weeks. I did a quote a few weeks ago, to give me an idea of prices.

The cheapest was with swift cover, costing £504. This is with 3 years no claims and is around £250 cheaper than last year.

Did another quote today in preparation for buying and the price has rocketed everywhere, the cheapest still being swift cover but at £673!

Being young (20) I know its not going ot be cheap, but on average it has been dropping at least 200-300 a year.

What's changed within the 2 weeks of me doing a quote?

To say im peeved is an understatement!

I have used comparethemarket, moneysupermaket and confused.com by the way.

Thanks.

Dannodw.

That seems not too bad given that you are only age 20. My niece passed her test in January, she has a Toyota Yaris and is age 22. Best I could find for her was £1300.
  • luci
    luci Posts: 5,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I know the cheap price of Swiftcover is tempting, but I would do a search of reviews of the company before committing yourself as they have quite a bad reputation.
  • savingmummy
    savingmummy Posts: 2,915 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    quick question please.

We are moving house and my husband has been told he will have to pay his car insurance for changing his details.
    His friend recently moved and had to pay £190 due to the move, is this right?
    I understand the move may alter his policy due to postcode, where he parks etc etc but a fee for changing address seem odd.

I`m not convinced but thought id check incase it is true!
    DebtFree FEB 2010!
    Slight blip in 2013 - Debtfree Aug 2014 :j

Savings £132/£1000.
  • Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    quick question please.

We are moving house and my husband has been told he will have to pay his car insurance for changing his details.
    His friend recently moved and had to pay £190 due to the move, is this right?
    I understand the move may alter his policy due to postcode, where he parks etc etc but a fee for changing address seem odd.

I`m not convinced but thought id check incase it is true!

Yes I think this is often the case when an insurer has to change details etc. They kinda use it as a stick to beat you with.

However, maybe you should consider terminating the policy and going with another insurer. You would have to work out if there was any cost for terminating early; there often is a fee charged for doing that. But, £190 sounds excessive to me unless he has moved to an area noted for high levels of car crime.
  • savingmummy
    savingmummy Posts: 2,915 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thanks Steve :)
    DebtFree FEB 2010!
    Slight blip in 2013 - Debtfree Aug 2014 :j

Savings £132/£1000.
  • alp1961
    alp1961 Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 17 March 2010 at 9:45AM
    Options
    Hope I am posting this in the right area!

I am writing on behalf of a friend who has fallen foul of his motorbike insurers.

Recently he was involved in an accident that resulted in his hospitalisation. He has no recollection of the accident and openly admits he just does not know whether he was to blame. (There were witnesses who have supplied statements to indicate the 3rd party was performing an illegal right turn and he is exploring this with the police who were called to the scene - That is another story)

The issue is that when he contacted his insurers he stated that he was returning home from work when the accident happened. His insurers immediately claimed he was not covered as his was a social domestic and pleasure policy only.

He has been insured through the same company for a number of years and on the same terms. When reading the small print he accepts that there IS an exclusion on travel to and from his place of work but this was NOT made clear when he last renewed.

True he is guilty of not reading the small print, but my first question is.... where do insurers draw the line? If he was using his motorbike to ride to the station to take a train to work, would this too fall outside the social domestic pleasure clause?

How many of us use our vehicle to commute to the station or local park and ride? Should insurers and brokers not be more transparent when selling policies?

Second question - and my main reason for posting.... does he have any come back on the insurers who did not make it implicit at the point of renewal that he was not covered for the home / work journey?

Any advice would be very much appreciated

Al P
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What has probably happened is when your friend took the policy out he probably also had a car and would not have been riding the bike to work. I always try and insist bikers include cover for commuting even when they tell me they will never ride to work as I know there must be the odd time in the summer when they fancy riding the bike to work.

You also find when bikers buy bikes in the winter and arrange insurance they are certain they will never ride to work as they have bought the bike for riding in the summer for fun. The other reason they give for not wanting commuting is they work somewhere that they worry the bike will be stolen so won't take it to work.

This is why I always try and persuade them to pay the small amount extra for the commuting cover (A lot still refuse to take it).

Riding the bike to the station if it's a journey to work is still classed as commuting.

Your friend should look through his old certificates and paperwork to see if he had commuting at any point and have a look at the proposal form he filled out to find out more about what has happened.

The renewal of a policy is an invitation to renew the cover on the same basis as the last year, it will ask him if his circumstances have changed so if he needs to change it he needs to inform the Insurers

If the accident was not his fault, he could bypass his own insurers and either go direct to the other Insurers or employ a claims management company to do it for him
  • wombleboy05
    Options
    Right I have just passed my driving test this month. I have now got a car which my Dad gave me a Citreon Saxo VTR 1.6 1999 Model.

I am 17 and have been looking through all diffrent insurance quotes. The cheapest I can find £6000 am I doing something wrong or is all insurance for 17 years olds this expensive.

Any help would be appriciated.

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family