Car Insurance Article Discussion

Options

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    s_gunn wrote: »
    Basically, I just want to know if I'll be breaking any laws and if the person who buys the car will have problems insuring it etc etc?

Your problems will begin if whoever buys the car fails to insure it, and it's involved in an incident. (Your insurance would still be "alive")
  • joolsbfd
    Options
    i got my cover with swinton last year, and i got the swinton cashback AND the topcashback ... but not sure about the current deals.. only just starting to look at my renewals. i took a bit of a gamble as wasn't sure it would work out, but i did end up getting both cashbacks..

good luck

linz wrote: »
    Evening all,

I have a question about car insurance/cashback.

I've been looking at new quotes for when my policy is due for renewal in a few weeks and it's come up with a few pretty good ones. One thing that is confusing me is if I were to go with Swinton, through Topcashback for the £40 cashback, the offer includes a £70 cashback cheque that i would receive after 90 days of the policy starting.

Does anyone know do these insurance companies pay the cashback sites AND these separate cashback offers? IE will I get my £40 from Topcashback and a £70 cheque from Swinton after 90 days?

There are a few others but this Swinton deal is the cheapest (if I were to get both lots of cashback)

Thanks in advance!
  • joolsbfd
    Options
    by the way.. where did you get info about £70 cashback from swinton? i did go compare and it says 50 cashback ... where did the other 20 come from? :)
  • linz
    linz Posts: 1,917 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    joolsbfd wrote: »
    by the way.. where did you get info about £70 cashback from swinton? i did go compare and it says 50 cashback ... where did the other 20 come from? :)

It was a 'special offer,' was about 3rd on my list on one of the comparison sites but works out cheapest overall I think. It was one of the 'this price includes £70 cashback' type deals. I can't remember which comparison site I used to get that offer, though. I'll try again nearer the time my renewal is due but its good to know that it's possible to get cashback both from the insurance provider AND the cashback site :)
    #2 - Save £2024 in 2024
    #35 - Save £12k in 2024
  • trevjl
    trevjl Posts: 222 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not sure if this has been said before, but just a quick possible help that I had not thought of before.
    I have just renewed my sons (19) insurance. He passed his test 18 months ago. On the comparison sites, it only give you option of saying you have had licence for 1 or 2 years. this made a large difference. if i put in 1 year is came out at £1137 but if I put in 2 years it came out at £738. I did not want to slightly exagerate to get the lower quote and then have it come back and bite me so I rang them (Admiral). The chap said that he could enter the number of years and months. i gave him my quote refernece fro moneysupermarket and he changed the time from 1 year to 1 year 6 months. this then came out at £989. It may well be worth ringing if your have only had the licence for a short time and are closer to a complete year.
  • lisa1208
    Options
    hope someone can help me. Any advice would be appreciated. I having being driving for 20 years and havent had an accident for about 18 therefore I have full no claims discount. but to keep my insurance low over the years I have been named as the second driver on my husbands insurance as he also had full no claims discount. But unfortunately me and my husband seperated last year and now my insurance is up and I have to start again as if I have no years no claims discount. I have a car that is worth £500 but am finding my insurance is coming up at about £700 pound. There must be an insurance company that can give me a cheaper quote, I only want 3rd party fire and theft and I refuse to pay more than the car is worth plus I dont have that type of money so I am stuck but need my car for work and kids etc. thanks for your advice in advance
  • linz
    linz Posts: 1,917 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    lisa1208 wrote: »
    hope someone can help me. Any advice would be appreciated. I having being driving for 20 years and havent had an accident for about 18 therefore I have full no claims discount. but to keep my insurance low over the years I have been named as the second driver on my husbands insurance as he also had full no claims discount. But unfortunately me and my husband seperated last year and now my insurance is up and I have to start again as if I have no years no claims discount. I have a car that is worth £500 but am finding my insurance is coming up at about £700 pound. There must be an insurance company that can give me a cheaper quote, I only want 3rd party fire and theft and I refuse to pay more than the car is worth plus I dont have that type of money so I am stuck but need my car for work and kids etc. thanks for your advice in advance

Can you put a parent/older relative down instead? That should get it down.
    #2 - Save £2024 in 2024
    #35 - Save £12k in 2024
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    lisa1208 wrote: »
    I having being driving for 20 years and havent had an accident for about 18 therefore I have full no claims discount. but to keep my insurance low over the years I have been named as the second driver on my husbands insurance as he also had full no claims discount.

If you haven't held a policy in your name, then you don't have a "full no claims discount" at all. (You have no NCD!)

Speak to a local broker who may be able to get you an introductory discount to reflect your good driving history.
  • lisa1208
    Options
    linz wrote: »
    Can you put a parent/older relative down instead? That should get it down.
    Thanks Linz but I dont have any one to put down plus I need to start again anyway just cant believe how high the insurance is for such an old car and a 40 year old woman! And thanks for your advice Quentin but you do not need to correct because my wording was wrong all I was after was the name of an insurance company that some on here has dealt with and would be able to give me a competitive quote
  • bimble
    Options
    Im just renewing my car insurance.
    I was mentioning to someone in work that I dont apply for the "legal cover" option and she was horrified. :eek:
    Ive been driving for years and always thought it was one of the ways of getting something you dont need and paying extra for it. Does anyone know what it entails and is it a good idea to apply for it?:A

Never get the legal cover. It's a big con. You're paying for something worse than the free equivalent

When are you going to need it? If someone drives into you, injures you and you're going to make a claim for compensation. Your insurers say that the legal cover means your legal fees are covered. But any decent solicitor will do the case without charging you anyway.

So you don't need the legal cover. untick that box
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport