We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Car Insurance Article Discussion

Options

Comments

• msa_3
    Options
    Given the poor reviews / feedback on esure i avoided them even though they were the cheapest and went for halifax paying £40 more...only to later find that halifax car insurance is managed by esure...

experience since then has been terrible!

beware, insure with either esure or halifax at your own peril (though they are very good till they take the money from you - like all insurancce companies!)
  • Ginger_Nut
    Ginger_Nut Posts: 49 Forumite
    edited 30 December 2009 at 6:35PM
    Options
    Just got my quote in form current insurnace shelia wheels last year I got fully comp low mileage with a £400 excess for £209, this year it's £237.40 been on the compaire the prices sites and the cheapest I can get this year is £250!

Nothing has changed no claims or any thing like that so I really don't under stand why it's more this year (not changed the car):confused:

If any one can give me some hits and tips I will be a very happy bunny.

My current insurance company won't insure my hubby on our car when he passes his test (we've got a merc) so I am plaining on ring the insurance people asking them if they can do £210 or less I know it's a long shot but hey it's worth a go!

I'll keep you posted.....
    Thanks a lot guys.

Thanks a lot
    Ginger.:rotfl:
    Don't forget you can donate 24 Felix tokens to help feed a cats protection cat/kitten that's in care
    their are loads of cats/kittens awaiting there forever home
    don't forget the the oldies who are just as much fun

Dropping a brand going great :D thanks Martin and team
  • bouncydog1
    bouncydog1 Posts: 2,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's probably because the basic cost of insurance has increased e.g. the insurers may have paid out more in repairs this last year. Return on insurers investments will have reduced due to the downturn in the return on investments generally and all of these influence their profit margins. End result is a an increase in the cost of insurance which is passed on to the consumer.

Best you can do is use the comparison and cashback sites to see if you can get a lower quote and then see if your current insurer will match it.
  • gardenfoam
    Options
    I am new to this! I have a question for you experts out there... I am trying the suggested method of getting car insurance down to a minimum. I have all the website comparisons done, but when I try, through topcashback, to get the same company to either retrieve my quote or give me a similar quote to the one that it displayed on the price comparison website, I cant get then to do it, all I get is a hugely inflated quote.....what am I doing wrong when I go to topcashback? I am a numpty so it is probably something very simple...
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The website is probably "recognising" your computer due to cookies (These are imbeded into your computer so the website remembers you when you come back eg automatically logs you in etc).

Try either using a different computer or delete the cookies on your computer
  • banabs
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to this and need some help. I've held my full licence for a 1yr 5mths and looking buy a 3yr old car. I've been to most of the comparison website and they seem to be quoting ridiculous amount. Is this because i have no No claims bonus.

thanks

Naya
  • spark_deals
    Options
    Hi,
    As per the title,
    is it possible to alternate with my OH every year to retain and add to our NCBs or will this be caught out as fraud?
    Topcashback is offeing £40 for policies taken out at Swinton. Also, Swinton is offering £40 cashback with the discount code. Would this cashback be tracked and added to become a total of £80 or you get discount or cashback and not both?
    Thanks
    Was this post useful to you? Feel free to click the thanks button--¬ :beer:
  • VeeW
    VeeW Posts: 84 Forumite
    Options
    Hi I originally posted this a wee while ago in the wrong place. My renewal quote from eCar came in at £152.48 (-£15 for previously introducing a friend) but as suggested by Martin I applied as a new customer. The quote came back at £206 odds & now that is the price showing for me to renew. I emailed & was told changes'd do that. The only change I made on original renewal was to say I didn't mind if they contacted DVLA!! Help can this be right? If it is I'll obviouly tell my friend not to renew as well as letting folks here know
  • Ankara_2
    Options
    I do find it quite naive of both Direct Line and Aviva to promote in their current advertisement campaigns that you won't find them on price comparison websites. This immediately sets the alarm bells ringing. Why? If their car insurance prices were that competitive and that cheap, surely they would want to be featured on price comparison sites?

I got a quote for my car insurance on directline.com and was quoted over double the price of the best quote I got on confused.com.
  • VeeW
    VeeW Posts: 84 Forumite
    Options
    Really does help to argue the toss even when you cannot speak to someone. eCar have changed my quote back to the original price (well 1p cheaper actually) so I have just renewed my policy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport