We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Debt, debt and more debt.

Options

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,974 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Hate to say your DH does not sound as if he has not grown up sadly.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,732 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Considering you may leave your husband I would save any extra money you make from ebay or tutoring. Have a word with stepchange about any possible change of circumstances and whether they advise staying on a DMP . Make sure your budget allows for everything including savings for emergencies. Your DMP payment should be based on your normal pay not including extras. On the size of debt you have I would be saving to offer F and Fs and see if the creditors will accept less so keep the extra money aside.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Drawingaline
    Drawingaline Posts: 2,962 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    An IVA is normally recommended to protect an interest in property rather than going bankrupt. Do you own property?
    Debt free Feb 2021 🎉
  • Elnora32
    Elnora32 Posts: 172 Forumite
    Options
    [FONT=&quot]I just wanted to offer my support.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]They say a journey of a thousand miles begins with just one step – you have taken that step. Jaydeejay is right – now that you have started your journey, it will end.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I’m sorry you are coping with this on your own. Also, I agree with others who suggest you save any extra income.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Well done on the new tutoring job and good luck.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Elnora[/FONT]
  • Kitten868
    Kitten868 Posts: 1,785 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello there,

You sound like you know what you need to do its just having the patience to get there. I wish you all the best patience to get there. Would you have any chance with council housing in your area? Definitely put yourself on the list.

Maybe you need to take a different tack on this debt free adventure? Maybe you should cut yourself some slack for a bit? I'm not saying get spendy but maybe not kill yourself with ebaying and tutoring. Get yourself back on an even keel with things. I don't know what to suggest really. I just think you put a lot of pressure on yourself and I know it's so hard when you've got kids as theres always something cropping up that they need. Could you review with stepchange if they feel a iva or bankruptcy would be the best route for you.

Keep going!!!
    Loan 1 £5200/£8000
    Loan 2 £300/£5800
    Total £5500/£13800
  • beanielou
    Options
    Any hobbies or interests you could persue?
    Volunteering?
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

• DebtFreeMonkey
    Options
    I think you're so strong and brave for sticking this out as you are. Things cna only get better, right?

You'll get there and I look forward to seeing it.
  • beanielou
    Options
    TBH I think your life does sound a wee bit miserable.
    So glad that you are taking baby steps to change this :)

• Kitten868
    Kitten868 Posts: 1,785 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What about if he's the one who has to leave and make plans? Does that mean you could part sooner? Or could you both give up on the flat and split the deposit so you have something towards the new place

I have a feeling you'll be much better off when he's gone.

I wasn't judging you. I got a huge buzz off of doing Ebay but I knew for me I couldn't sustain it long term. But that's me. I don't think I could hack 6 weeks off either. The kids are doing my nut just where they've been off! So I'm not surprised you need to do something.

Keep going xxx
    Loan 1 £5200/£8000
    Loan 2 £300/£5800
    Total £5500/£13800
  • beanielou
    Options
    Work out that postage to Scotland :D
    How much are you selling them for?

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback