Veggie and Vegan Rant

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    Go on then I need something to do so I'll ridicule your scenarios. (I am neither vegan nor vegetarian, I make my own chicken liver pate).

Is that the test standard?
  • JamoLew
    JamoLew Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Have you considered that you are intolerant and unreasonable? Its probably best you choose your friends accordingly than complain about the ones you've got expecting them to change to suit you.

I wouldn't cook meat at home because I wouldn't want the smell lingering on my cooker.

I would suggest you are the intolerant/uncompromising one here (which is my point)

You expect me to cater for your preferred/chosen dietary choice when coming to mine yet are totally unwilling to reciprocate using the "oh but you will love this ***** vegetarian dish I have prepared" argument --- how do you know, have you even for 1 second thought about my preferred/chosen diet ? (the answer is no - unlike me, who took the time and effort to try and please you)

How about next time, I prepare you a nice medium/rare 12oz steak based on the thought process of "oh I'm sure you will love this once you've tried it"
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 July 2019 at 9:57AM
    Here’s a quote from The Vegan Society on B12
    “If for any reason you choose not to use fortified foods or supplements you should recognize that you are carrying out a dangerous experiment”

Taking the Vegan Society’s advice to its logical conclusion you could replace all vitamins, minerals, amino acids etc in a diet with a pill..... but you can’t.

Veganism isn’t a diet it’s a rich westerners 1st world cult.

Firstly, I was responding to your statement that vegans don’t like talking about supplements.
    could you firstly respond to that before going off on a tangent.
  • hollydays
    JamoLew wrote: »
    I would suggest you are the intolerant/uncompromising one here (which is my point)

You expect me to cater for your preferred/chosen dietary choice when coming to mine yet are totally unwilling to reciprocate using the "oh but you will love this ***** vegetarian dish I have prepared" argument --- how do you know, have you even for 1 second thought about my preferred/chosen diet ? (the answer is no - unlike me, who took the time and effort to try and please you)

How about next time, I prepare you a nice medium/rare 12oz steak based on the thought process of "oh I'm sure you will love this once you've tried it"

So tell us the story about the meal you tried to cook for your vegetarian friends where you went to a lot of trouble?
  • hollydays
    I can feel you squirming from here!

The narrative that egan cultists and vegetarians like to spout about meat being unhealthy is based on the western diet which every right minded person agrees leads to the over consumption of meat and the attendant health problems.

Meat/dairy ISN’T the issue as when you look at the healthiest polulations on the planet not one of them are following a vegetarian diet let alone a vegan cultist one.

Why would I squirm ?I’m neither vegetarian or vegan ? You’re getting very het up , do you need a supplement?
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 14 July 2019 at 1:16PM
    JamoLew wrote: »

I don't expect anyone to cater for me but if they choose to I'll explain I'm pescetarian. I wouldn't prepare anything for anyone and expect them to eat it. Communication with your friend seems to be the problem.
    Friends that do cook for me are happy to accommodate me, often I have the same as them without the meat. They wouldn't expect me to cook meat for them and I wouldn't expect them to eat anything they didn't want to eat.
    If you are an omnivore much of your diet will be vegetarian and there will be many vegetarian meals that you will eat without classing them as vegetarian. If you don't want to eat meat substitutes try explaining that to your friend. Problem solved.

Did you start this thread because you went to a friends house and they had cooked you something with quorn in it?
  • Here’s a quote from The Vegan Society on B12
    “If for any reason you choose not to use fortified foods or supplements you should recognize that you are carrying out a dangerous experiment”

Taking the Vegan Society’s advice to its logical conclusion you could replace all vitamins, minerals, amino acids etc in a diet with a pill..... but you can’t.

Veganism isn’t a diet it’s a rich westerners 1st world cult.

I mean, you say ‘logical conclusion’ but i’m not sure you know what those words mean...
  • hollydays
    z1a wrote: »
    Where have I stated that I'M intolerant?

Apparently tastes like pork, hence the cannibal name of "Long pig."

So by that token,and your logic, humans were made for eating too.
  • I have no issue with either vegetarianism or veganism ( and I do know three of each quite well!) what I did have an issue with was one of them making comments about my choice of lamb/duck, etc, when we ate out, or disparaging comments about us BBQ'ing at the weekend.

I just politely informed her that I had always respected her choice not to eat meat and would appreciate it if she would kindly respect mine. It seemed to work, but I did find it odd that she felt that she was entitled to make such comments and yet I had never questioned her choices.
  • hugheskevi
    hugheskevi Posts: 3,853 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    edited 14 July 2019 at 2:42PM
    I did find it odd that she felt that she was entitled to make such comments and yet I had never questioned her choices.
    Many vegans and vegetarians will consider it a lot more significant than a choice. They would view something like preferring a red car compared to a blue car, or a white carpet instead of a grey carpet as a choice, ie, inconsequential personal preferences. Vegans and vegetarians will have made their dietary decision usually based around animal welfare, and possibly environmental concerns, and their values are clearly important to them.

Unfortunately the first questions most people will ask a vegan or vegetarian when they first discover their dietary preference - which will often be when food is served - is (a) how long have you been vegan/vegetarian and (b) why did you become vegan/vegetarian.

The second of the questions above may be difficult to answer without a slight, even though not intended, on non-vegans/vegetarians. In most cases it would be a question better not asked, similar to religion and political questions with those you do not know well.

Proactively questioning the food choices of a host would be incredibly rude, even if very ethically questionable food such as fois gras were being served. If it is an issue for the diner, they should not attend future events.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure