It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts!!!!

Options

Comments

• michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,062 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Anyone beat this usage?

You are not even trying.

Last year electric 15,900 Gas 15,800.  But you can add on about 3,000 of solar to the electric that didn't go through the meter.

That Gas number is down more than 50% from our peak usage before prices went mad.
    I think....
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,652 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Sea_Shell said:
    Sea_Shell said:
    Well, our annual usage for 12 months to 1/2/24 was 8456 gas and 1356 electric.

I'll have the 12 months to 1/4/24 on the laptop (I'm on my phone), but they are probably similar.

Anyone beat THOSE (on standard duel fuel, gas boiler, no solar, no EV) 😉
    Unless you have solar i have no idea how your electric usage is so low. Do you have one television and a fridge and nothing else? It just seems unbelievably low. 😀
    No, no solar.  Yes, just the one TV, that we only really watch for 4-5 hours each evening.

Currently sitting in the sunny-ish conservatory, doing crosswords (on paper!)...so no leccy (or gas) being used, beyond (non holiday) baseload.

Other than a washing machine (~4 loads per week), oven, kettle and a bit of vacuuming and ironing, we don't really have any power hungry stuff.

Gas hob, gas DHW.

What is your thermostat set at?  My DH feels the cold and it is a constant battle with our thermostat.  We have compromised on 20 degrees but my ideal would be 18.

We are  power hungry though as DH has all sorts of electrical gadgets like 3D printers which is constantly going and the underfloor heating in our kitchen and conservatory is expensive to run and again DH likes to turn it on to warm his feet in the chilly mornings for an hour. I don't fret too much as we can afford it but do say it is environmentally unfriendly and why not  sit in the toasty living room until the kitchen and conservatory have warmed up. We only used 181.84 kwh last week though or £13.42 so I am not going to worry about that. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 22 April at 9:27AM
    Options
    Sea_Shell said:
    Sea_Shell said:
    Well, our annual usage for 12 months to 1/2/24 was 8456 gas and 1356 electric.

I'll have the 12 months to 1/4/24 on the laptop (I'm on my phone), but they are probably similar.

Anyone beat THOSE (on standard duel fuel, gas boiler, no solar, no EV) 😉
    Unless you have solar i have no idea how your electric usage is so low. Do you have one television and a fridge and nothing else? It just seems unbelievably low. 😀
    No, no solar.  Yes, just the one TV, that we only really watch for 4-5 hours each evening.

Currently sitting in the sunny-ish conservatory, doing crosswords (on paper!)...so no leccy (or gas) being used, beyond (non holiday) baseload.

Other than a washing machine (~4 loads per week), oven, kettle and a bit of vacuuming and ironing, we don't really have any power hungry stuff.

Gas hob, gas DHW.

What is your thermostat set at?  My DH feels the cold and it is a constant battle with our thermostat.  We have compromised on 20 degrees but my ideal would be 18.

We are  power hungry though as DH has all sorts of electrical gadgets like 3D printers which is constantly going and the underfloor heating in our kitchen and conservatory is expensive to run and again DH likes to turn it on to warm his feet in the chilly mornings for an hour. I don't fret too much as we can afford it but do say it is environmentally unfriendly and why not  sit in the toasty living room until the kitchen and conservatory have warmed up. We only used 181.84 kwh last week though or £13.42 so I am not going to worry about that. 

It's not "set" as such, as we turn it right down if we don't want (or need) the heating to come on, as its in the hallway, which can be colder that the lounge or conservatory.   

We find that to keep a comfortable 19c in the lounge, we need to set the temp to 16c.    We have it at 14c overnight so it will come on if chilly first thing in the morning (7am), if it doesn't come on, we can always give it a nudge on the way past, as we go to make the first morning tea (which we take back to bed).  Its not 'smart' just a Honeywell dial.

We don't like it stuffy, and too hot, which isn't a bad thing.

Just had a look at our usage data, on my main spreadsheet, and our figures for the 12 months to 1/4/24 are 8378 gas and 1350 electric.   So very similar to what I posted above, as I thought. 

That is our best 12 month electric figure, since having the new boiler* fitted in July 21, but our best gas usage was the 12 month to 1/12/22, at only 7672.    

We had a new 'system' (not combi) boiler fitted, and it's made an amazing difference to both usages.   Before then we were using about 14000 gas and 1700 electric.    Surprising that the boiler is more frugal on the leccy as well as the gas!! 

ETA - I have just remembered that is was around that time we also changed the hot water to only come on once a day and not twice.   That's plenty for 2 showers and 2 lots of washing up.   If we do need more, we flick it on, but we used to have it coming on again, in the afternoon, out of habit.  :o
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.38% of current retirement "pot" (as at end April 2024)
  • Ibrahim5
    Ibrahim5 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 22 April at 10:08AM
    Options
    That's interesting. We have a smart Honeywell thermostat that is also set at 14 degrees in the morning. If we haven't gone out by 10am it stays on 17 for the rest of the day. We use 30000kwh gas and 4000 electric. Much less than our neighbours but still higher than most on here. Electricity is 4x the cost per kWh.
  • Sarahspangles
    Sarahspangles Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    We use:

Gas 10,270 kWh/yr (water, heating, hob)
    Elec 2,950 kWh/yr (oven, bread machine, dishwasher, tumble dryer)

I feel like our electricity use is low, although we’re not particularly careful.

• barnstar2077
    barnstar2077 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    My gas bill last month was £18.  I don't use a thermostat, I just put it on when I feel cold, and turn it off when I'm warm.  Seems the most logical thing to do tbh.
    Think first of your goal, then make it happen!
  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,093 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I seem to have stumbled into the Utilities part of the forum.  :D
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    westv said:

People are interested (I think) in how we are able to do what we do?    Energy costs are a part of that.   

But I'm happy to move on from the subject.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.38% of current retirement "pot" (as at end April 2024)
  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,093 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sea_Shell said:
    westv said:

People are interested (I think) in how we are able to do what we do?    Energy costs are a part of that.   

But I'm happy to move on from the subject.
    I thought the smile made it clear I wasn't being serious.

And if people want to micro analyse then who am I to criticise.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,658 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Anyone beat this usage?

Hold my beer! Although this is not something to be proud of and we are constantly looking at ways to bring the numbers down - hence the installation of solar panels and a battery last month.
    Last year actuals:
    Electricity - 6,326 kWh
    Gas - 22,877 kWh
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback