It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts!!!!

Options

Comments

• cfw1994
    cfw1994 Posts: 1,879 Forumite
    Hung up my suit! First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    michaels said:
    I think at your level of drawdown you will be fine. 

Our pot is still up 17% on our original investment in 2018 in spite of us drawing down approx £10-£20k a year and DH gets his state pension this year so the drawdowns may stop. 
    You know my pet hate is comparing a pot in current £s to its value in the past when the £s were each worth a lot more.  Each 2018 £ was worth about £1.26 of Today's £s.  Most of what we think about on here is about maintaining spending power in real terms.
    I know what you mean,…..although that can also depend on your personal rate of inflation 😉

Good use of TopCashBack for home/car insurance, changes to shopping habits, being able to holiday during cheap seasons, etc etc, can *potntially* help keep your personal price rises under control for many years, so it might be possible to be spending the same as you were a few years ago 🤷‍♂️
    Plan for tomorrow, enjoy today!
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,423 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Quick energy calc question.

We've been away, and everything electric that can (reasonably) be turned off was turned off.   

For the 72 hours (3 complete days) that we were away, this year the house used 1.05kwh per day.

Last year, for the same 3 days, we averaged 1 kwh.    

Am I right in thinking that the difference works out at 0.00208 kw per day  (0.05 / 24)

So am I looking for something that was drawing an extra constant 21w ?   Or something else, but not constant.

It could just be the fridge/freezer working harder, but it hasn't exactly been unseasonably warm this week!!  ;)

I'm just curious, as nothing in the house is any different this year, compared to last, that I can think of.  

Or has next doors cat probably kept triggering our security lights!! 
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • More_complicated_than_that
    Options
    Sea_Shell said:

We've been away, and everything electric that can (reasonably) be turned off was turned off.   

For the 72 hours (3 complete days) that we were away, this year the house used 1.05kwh per day.

Am I right in thinking that the difference works out at 0.00208 kw per day  (0.05 / 24)

So am I looking for something that was drawing an extra constant 21w ?   Or something else, but not constant
    I'm getting old but and decimal places confuse me but my mental maths suggests it is 2W different.
  • Sea_Shell
    Options
    Sea_Shell said:

So am I looking for something that was drawing an extra constant 21w ?   Or something else, but not constant
    I'm getting old but and decimal places confuse me but my mental maths suggests it is 2W different.
    I did wonder if i was getting my decimals muddled.

2w is "noise", but 20w might have been "something" IYSWIM. 
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,633 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I was taking a look at the 'resting heart rate' of our house a while back and a faulty (and high wattage) security light was identified and replaced. An unsecured bit of rose was waggling in front of the sensor setting it off but this was even happening in daylight which was wrong.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • pensionpawn
    pensionpawn Posts: 946 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    My house draws ~1.5 kwhrs between 2am to 5am which at ~ 22p doesn't cause me to lose any sleep! I take your point that you are merely curious about the fluctuation, however if you have managed to reduce your electrical import to a sixth of my background consumption, trying to find vampire drain in the magnitude of 10's of watts is some challenge.
  • Sea_Shell
    Options
    My house draws ~1.5 kwhrs between 2am to 5am which at ~ 22p doesn't cause me to lose any sleep! I take your point that you are merely curious about the fluctuation, however if you have managed to reduce your electrical import to a sixth of my background consumption, trying to find vampire drain in the magnitude of 10's of watts is some challenge.

Yes, curiosity only.     

Look after the watts and the kilowatts look after themselves!!   ;)
  • pensionpawn
    pensionpawn Posts: 946 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Sea_Shell said:

Yes, curiosity only.     

Look after the watts and the kilowatts look after themselves!!   ;)
    ....or generate the kWs and let the pennies (and pounds) look after themselves!
  • FIREDreamer
    FIREDreamer Posts: 334 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 20 April at 3:56PM
    Options
    If on Octopus, the Octo Aid app will tell you your base load.

• MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,633 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If on Octopus, the Octo Aid app will tell you your base load.

Thanks - recently added solar/battery and moved to Octopus
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback