NST A Gentle Jog Through July

Options

Comments

• Toni'sfriend
    Toni'sfriend Posts: 4,036 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi, I'd like to join this thread if that's ok, please. I'm sure I read somewhere that pickled walnuts can be added to casseroles/stews? Maybe trying adding a couple just in case they aren't nice!

Welcome Esmeralda. Nice to meet you. I've just looked that up and apparently they are very nice in a Highland Beef Stew. Very appropriate as we're in Scotland. Thank you for that. Perhaps I should nominate this as pickled walnut day?
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Thank you.

No, it's a Honda. Inadvertently I did that yesterday :D. Was in a bit of a mood and ran the car in the wrong gear up a hill and it did the trick. Later DH told me the mechanic recommended just running it up and down the motorway for a while.

Yeay - it's cleared! :j:j
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Esmeralda2662
    Esmeralda2662 Posts: 215 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Toni'sfriend - Pickled Walnut Day - sounds good to me! :p
  • Toni'sfriend
    Options
    NSD No 6

I was supposed to go for a blood pressure review today but it was cancelled and rescheduled for the end of the month. I'll probably get another letter asking why I haven't been for one.

Himself couldn't face tidying the pantry today. I think yesterday's cupboard was too traumatic. He's put it off till Thursday as he has a hospital appointment tomorrow and then he's meeting a friend but I have a fiendish plan to do it myself whilst he's out. I have already identified four packets of sage and onion stuffing (in addition to a large full tupperware container) and I suspect there may be more.

I've done the ironing and made chicken noodle soup for dinner. And I've made a mistake in my budget. I've got £120.00 more than I thought.

So a little bit of a lazy day today.

Meant to ask does anyone need any salt. I have many various jars and many kinds???????
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Toni'sfriend - 120 in your favour! Wow!

Today I am grateful for a friend of dd's looking after her when it was time to say goodbye, for dh doing the driving, for a smooth trip to bham, for non-busy trains, for mum's face lighting up when she saw me, for mum's cut chin being not too bad (though bad enough for the home to call an ambulance out when it happened - yikes! I guess she bled a lot), for finding a pair of summer trousers for mum in the ch shop, for getting a workout done, for an awesome shower, for the luxury of being away from home in a hotel room with the telly all to myself.
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • Kerry_Woman
    Kerry_Woman Posts: 3,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    apple muncher - Hope your Mum is ok.
    Grateful for:
    Dvd's I got for my niece being delivered today.
    NSD.
    Walk in the park.
    MH online support tonight.
    Managing to get through to right hospital department to chase referral. Seems that they have over a month's backlog of typing etc. Hopefully things will be sorted out soon.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Get creative in the kitchen. -nope - just used stuff up in a non-creative way :)

NSDs Low target 3 per week (12/13 for the month) - 3 so far

Exercise - take advantage of the long days to pack more in. - too busy with end of term performances for the next few days to get too much done (10.15pm pick ups in the next town....)

Think of those who are ill. - more admin for dementia-affected relative

Relax. Take time out and remember your children need downtime too.- end of term frantic-ness coming up for DS3 and DS2. DS1 and DD home from uni for Summer, so they can help. I've finished paid work until Sept.

Our Bodies Our Selves. eat well, move more Include a pamper day this month, make it weekly if you can. - still concentrating on my nails at the mo (want them to look decent for DD's graduation)

Useless and ugly objects need to leave your home. - CS bag currently has 3 handbags (largest is more of a beach bag size, so is being used as the carrying vessel for all of this), 1 good tshirt and a pair of curtains. Lots of recycling going out this week, too - and DD has cleared out a few small bits for shoebox appeal. Found another pair of curtains and a mirror for CS. Used up lots of hotel toiletries and recycled bottles

Get out and about. Explore your neighbourhood. What exhibitions and activities are on?- we will be signing up to 'Beat the Street' in aid of DS3's school :) and lots of local walking

Half Year Review. Look again at where you want to be in one year/ 5 years - are you on track or do you need to make changes. - will need to re-visit goals/ targets from Jan.

YoU should take your lunch to work each day and take appropriate refreshments on days out - lunch to work n/a for me this month (2 half days only) - do have DD's graduation, so celebratory lunch that day! Also have 2 work lunches - neither at expensive places and usually soft drinks + 1 course.

Look at each purchase to determine if it is a genuine need or just a want. - only diesel purchased today - definite need - tank range showed 10 miles and I've done about 70 since then

Thankful for: DD & DS1 helping in garden, deputyship for my nan being approved, using things up, having a bit of a plan for some things, DS2 enjoying end of term stuff
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • sashanut
    sashanut Posts: 3,252 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi all :j

A Adventure No adventures today. unless you count the strong smell of drugs when opening the CS sacks...

G Get creative in the kitchen Not at all creative but creatively made use of what we had in..

N NSDs Will go for low target as we are on holiday as well as DD this week & another week when she goes away later in the month. NSDs still 3/12

T Take care in the sun No sun today

L Live on what is left Will do.

E Exercise:
    Shift in CS today

J July food days abound , French Fries (13th), Hot Dogs and Peach Ice Cream (17th - No not together), Caviar (18th) Daiquiris (19th). My favourites are Fresh Spinach Day (16th) Vanilla Ice Cream (23rd). Other Ice cream days are available. Use these as a jumping off point to add some summer fun to your meal plan. Will pick a couple of these.

O (H2)O Water fun. Dogs have made holes in their pool, not sure how to get them in otherwise as they are so large. May have an old plastic one somewhere lurking in the shrubbery. Still to locate. Only water is the amount drunk by me. Now have food diary so water can be logged. Not started yet, will start tomorrow. Started with upping water & whilst I didn't drink all that I am supposed to, I did much better. keeping up with the water but not as much as I should do. Dug out dogs pool (half a clam shell type) from shrubbery & cleaned it out, then refilled with water. 2 dogs ignored it, the other had a drink out of it..

G Geeks May struggle here.

T Think of those who are ill Both elderly uncles are now suffering from terminal illnesses. Do think of them often. Had email from elderly relative, seems OK. Friend came who has been ill, spent 4.5 hours here so must have enjoyed himself..Thank you email from friend. Asked him back.

H Help those in need. Will do my best.

R Relax.
    Have lots of books & projects to do so need to make a time each do to actually DO them. Did a bit of knitting today but need to get organised with projects now. Knitted in car whilst DH had a meeting but forgot book. More TV knitting tonight. Took myself off in the midst of the chaos (DD back from hols) & sat in the quiet finishing some projects. DH has downloaded all the podcasts for my project that I will do on holiday. Mostly be on my own so need something complex to concentrate on. TV knitting tonight.

O Our Bodies Our Selves: Will deffo be doing this & am starting this week with a pamper day. Pampered self by putting on make up etc. Only pampering was a shower & putting some make up on. Self care tomorrow.

U Useless On this, will take some to CS tomorrow. Am still sorting & binning. Got rid of some bags of rubbish for collection tomorrow. CS tomorrow, have books to go & some rags if I can smuggle them past the head honcho. Not done

G Get out and about: No outs today but DH said we are going to plan tomorrow to go out next week . Didn't happen but will ask again tomorrow. Out Wednesday to collect an item & visit another town we don't often get to. Out to SM & CS, that's as far as I got.

H Half Year Review: Good idea & will work on this. Some progress but much more to do. less than 3 weeks till hols.

J Just a couple DH already looks like a combo of these two.

U yUo All meals at home today

L Look at each purchase:
    Only food purchases today.

Y You should check in daily
    Here I am, hello folks!
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 :eek:. Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE :happyhear
  • f0xh0les
    f0xh0les Posts: 6,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 10 July 2019 at 8:04AM
    Options
    I'm here:wave:
    Not sure what is going on today, DS2 has been driven to school already - off to Alt0n T0wers with school. DS3 & 4 have decided they feel 'unwell' this morning and are angling for a day off, I am resisting - it is DS3s leavers' assembly tonight, if he can, he should go. So if the school sends them home, then fine, term ends today, if not, they are a sneaky pair of monkeys:rotfl:.

If they stay home, nothing is going to get done, at all, ever, and I will have to cancel my volunteering tomorrow. It's mutiny I tells ya! Mutiny!

Toni'sfriend - have you ordered your mustards by use by/BBE dates? Then you are giving yourself much more time, and you can think of them as having a stock in to use in rotation, rather than just having a mountain. Honey and mustard glazes are going to be on EVERYTHING! (but not fruit salad). Himself should be warned of the consequences of new stocks of illicit mustard being smuggled into the house
    4/10/22One Year Mortgage Free Yay!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
    ******PROUD MEMBER OF THE TOFU EATING COALITION OF CHAOS !!!******
  • Toni'sfriend
    Options
    Toni'sfriend - have you ordered your mustards by use by/BBE dates?

Good idea. Just as well the mustard has long dates!! Honey and mustard glaze sounds good although the honey is less of a problem as he has some in lemon and ginger tea most mornings. For the moment it's on the banned buying list as well though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure