Weekly Flylady Thread 24th June 2019

edited 27 June 2019 at 9:43PM in Old Style MoneySaving
98 replies 6.4K views
ValliValli Forumite
22.6K posts
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
✭✭✭✭✭
edited 27 June 2019 at 9:43PM in Old Style MoneySaving
What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.

Thank you Natty for last week's thread.

Please follow the forum rules on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don't stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
WM ~ Washing machine
TD ~ Tumble dryer
SC ~ Slowcooker
BM ~ Breadmaker
DW ~ Dishwasher
SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
WUDUPA ~ washed up, dried up, put away
WUALTD ~ washed up and left to dry
KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
NN ~ nice neighbour
Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
ETA ~ Edited to add
Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!
MAD half hour
- Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stooping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

ok Here goes this Week...
Kitchen and dining room

Level 1

Clear sides and wipe down
Replace what lives there, wiping as you go
Empty bin
Wipe sill, sockets, and switches
Clear and clean sink and accessories

Level 2
Wipe down all cupboard and drawer fronts, not forgetting handles
Clean hob
Sort fridge and wipe seals
Wipe table/change cloth
Dust dining area/room

level 3

Clean oven/microwave or something similarly grim
Sweep/mop floor

extras
MAD half hour
HHI
S&S bathroom
Month end looms - do you need to
mealplan?
Update financial spreadsheets?
Buy birthday (etc) cards?

Triffic Tuesday - Bathrooms, en suites

Level 1

Remove shower curtains and towels - wash that shower curtain - get it on the line!
Wipe down shower screens and cubicles
Scrub bath
Give shower heads a bath in lemon juice
Polish all brightwork (chrome bits - taps & hoses)
Clean shower tray
Slosh a good glug of bleach down drains/overflows

Level 2

Flush loo and spray bowl with cream cleaner and SCRUB - under the rim, below the waterline and all over the bowl.
Flush loo again
Wipe seat, lid and outside of loo - including where you can't see...
Slop some bleach all over the inside of the loo
With a clean cloth wipe switches, pull cord, door handles and loo roll holder
Wash loo brush and holder and dry them outside in the sun - death to all germies!

Level 3

Scrub the sink = don't forget the underneath the plug!
Bleach the drain
Wipe the pedestal/cupboard over
Polish and mirrors, glass and your heated towel rail
Clean the floor - vacuum or mop
Put out fresh towels

Extras

HHI
S&S kitchen
Book out some me time...or some couple time...or both
MAD half hour

Wednesday HUMP DAY - the boudoir. You deserve a clean, tidy, restful bedroom - and you NEED it too, to re-energise

Level 1

Open windows w-i-d-e
Strip bed
Allow to air
Remake bed

level 2
Clear floordrobe and chairdrobe
Clean windows
Vacuum, sweep or mop floor

Level 3
Dust all sides and shelves
With a just damp cloth wipe all your lotion and potion bottles, hairdryers (especially if you use product while blow drying) etc. and put all perfumes away in a drawer. Take it from a former lab. tech.
Polish mirrors

Extras
S&S kitchen
S&S bathroom
HHI
Mooch through recipe books and find a new recipe to try!

Thrilling Thursday

Hall, stairs, landing

Level one

Beat, vacuum or wash doormats
Clean windows and mirrors
Wipe switches and sockets
Check corners and crevices - deweb!
Deal with winter coats/anything not currently in use - take them for cleaning or put in the wash - anything need repairing?

Level two
Dust, wipe or polish banisters and rails
Clear out detritus
Vacuum all floors or mop inc stairs
Shift the shoe pile - put away anything not being worn - clean and/or put on one side to repair first if necessary

Level 3
Wash down front door inside and out
Dust any furniture in these rooms
Clean light fittings inc. wiping bulbs with a damp cloth - see how much brighter they are

Extras
Check smoke alarms; CO alarms
HHI
MAD half hour
S&S kitchen
S&S bathroom

Friday Final Flourish
Lounge/sitting rooms

Level 1

Open window
Vacuum soft furnishings inc. under cushions or wipe (if leather)
Rotate cushions and seat pads

level 2
Dust everywhere inc electricals
Empty bins
wipe/water plants
Attend to cut flowers

Level 3
Vacuum drapes
Clean windows
Clean floor

Extras
S&S kitchen and bathrooms
MAD half hour
Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
"I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
:heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear

Replies

• roundtuitroundtuit Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you Valli xx and Natty for last week xx

I can join in through the week :T Annual Leave woot woot.

Hope everyone has a good week

Rxx
    IT ONLY TAKES SMALL DAILY ACTIONS
    FOR MAGIC TO HAPPEN
    Rosemary Ikpeme
    :D
  • pigpenpigpen Forumite
    38K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ty for fred... majorly busy week here.. i need sleep
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    06/06/2020 £46375.89 (2.41% int.)
  • ionafanionafan Forumite
    3.1K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you Valli. A crazy week ahead for me, so I doubt that I shall be able to do much flying. Will be with you all in spirit, though - and I don't mean gin!

(((Hugs))) spoons and sticks all round, as needed x
  • FayolleFayolle Forumite
    1.7K posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    Yes please and thank you! Don’t know where I’d be without you all and the Fred.
    I will fly as much as time permits.
  • Narc0lepsyNarc0lepsy Forumite
    2K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for thread, even if I don't seem to participate much these days - I'm still fluttering.
    Quite a busy week: 3 eye appts for Mr N over 2 days. Tomorrow I have to drop him at eye clinic 12 miles away; drive back to gym (about 3 miles back); do 2 classes; drive back to hospital and will either park somewhere to avoid paying then work offline in car, or park in hospital and find some wi-fi. I've got one report to finish then that's it for the while, unless they contact me in the next couple of days wanting me to work this week.
    Just at the end of my block of training, PT has announced he's leaving so I'm going to fit in the last 2 sessions this week. Not planning more as they are costly, but have made a difference to my dodgy shoulder and (latterly) knee so glad I did them.
    We seem to have a lot of bits and pieces booked in the next couple of months; mainly nice things but I also need to fit in an eye test and decide if I want a GP 5 yearly health check. Of course I don't, but wonder if I should - maybe worth getting the blood tests. Had bp, glucose, weight etc at the beginning of my PT sessions so don't want to go through that again.

Flying wise I seem to mainly do gardening and spend the rest of the time filling bird feeders! Lovely to have so many young ones, but I fill up at least one feeder each of sunflower hearts, 1 of peanuts and 1 of mini fat balls every day. Oh plus mealworms. However spending more time outside means the house isn't getting too messy and we seem to have a regular series of visitors which keeps me doing blitzes.

MIL still in theory returning to her flat sometime soon although nobody (except her) thinks she is up to it. Think they are planning to try it in the hope she will realise.

Enough rambling. Have a good week.
    Ionafan thought of you today as Mr N and I decided to take a day to ourselves and took a picnic to the RSPB centre where we met you before. Really peaceful.
    Remember...a layer of dust protects the wood beneath it.
  • kazwookiekazwookie Forumite
    12K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morning

Thank you for all the lists.

General stuff to do today

Sun is currently out, but it seems heavy rain is due later on today
    :) Sun, Sea :)

• JazeeJazee Forumite
    7.1K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning all. Thanks for the list. I'm in.

Going to get some paperwork out of the way first. Thanks for the reminder about cards.

Have a great day everyone.
    Spend less now, work less later.
    Savings thread 2020 #104 Sep £0 Total £1649.16/£3600
  • MademoiselleMademoiselle Forumite
    764 posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    Morning all, best just forget last week. Life got in the way. But this week I'monly working Wednesday afternoon so have great intentions of getting some sorting and declutterring done. We'll see how much actually gets done as we are forecast a heatwave here, 30° today and going up all week to 36° by Friday. Windows currently open to let cool air in but sunny side of the house already has the shutters down to keep the sun out. Shutters or curtains will remain closed until late this evening.

So far WM on, DW unloaded, bags unpacked from weekend.

See you later
  • edited 24 June 2019 at 8:03AM
    BadCat18BadCat18 Forumite
    718 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    edited 24 June 2019 at 8:03AM
    Morning all,

Thanks for the new thread, I’m in again.
    Very late night for me last night, hellish traffic getting away from the event meant we didn’t get home until gone 1am, feeling slightly like a zombie today!

WM is swishing, not sure if the weather forecast is good although it’s dry at the moment so will wait and see what’s it’s like later.
    Windows open for some fresh air.
    Work list checked, it’s actually not looking too bad today so I can afford to have a bit of a relaxed start. This is good as I am only half awake at the moment, have eaten breakfast and now on second cup of tea to try and get some GUAG...

I think today might be a slow flap rather than flying!

Back later x
  • roundtuitroundtuit Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Morning :hello:

This beats going to work on a Monday morning :D Sat at home in my nightie [STRIKE]trying to think lots of things not to do[/STRIKE] planning my day/ week :cool:

I've checked the weather forecast for the week and decided to leave the rest of the washing until Wednesday and Thursday, which should be good drying outside days, rather than wash today or tomorrow and have wet washing draped everywhere indoors. :D

I chose the nearly empty packet of cereal to finish off for breakfast - so that I can recycle the box :T Every little helps :D

Right - I'm going to put a bowl of pots to soak whilst I get washed and dressed. I'll be back after I've WUDUPA :)

Rxx
    IT ONLY TAKES SMALL DAILY ACTIONS
    FOR MAGIC TO HAPPEN
    Rosemary Ikpeme
    :D