PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

April 2019 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• I'm in again...still on my annual budget :D
  • ditty1234
    ditty1234 Posts: 2,011
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Hi I'm in staying at £260 were 3 people most of the month so good challenge.
    LBM Jan 2019 - £25.928/Active debt £14253, 54% sorted
    Housing fund Jan 2024 £2000/6000 36%
    EF Jan 2024 £0/1000 0% Emergency fund is for worn out things like vacuum cleaner, dish washer, and washing machine.
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,002
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Thank you for the new thread, Elsiepac. Please count me in. Our budget will be £120 plus whatever’s left over from February, if anything is.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Thank you for those that run the grocery threads. It is really helpful :T.

Our April runs 1st to the 30th. That covers all food and non alcoholic drinks (except for date night eating out as that comes out of entertainment budget). The chinchillas have their own budget as do the toiletries, cleaning supplies etc.
    Even though we put the budget up for March we are going to lower it again as we desperately need to run the freezer down now, it's full!
    Please put us up for £180. So back to £3 each per day. Hoping the prices of fresh items don't go up too much by next month. If they do we may look at the budget but fingers crossed.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • Tink_04
    Tink_04 Posts: 1,204
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hi can I be £250 this month - have lots to pay so it's a tight month.
    Living the simple life
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,002
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    PipneyJane wrote: »
    Thank you for the new thread, Elsiepac. Please count me in. Our budget will be £120 plus whatever’s left over from February, if anything is.

- Pip

Did I say “February”? I meant March! (God I was dopey yesterday.)

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,
  • taka
    taka Posts: 3,483
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks for the thread elsiepac! :T
    Can I be put down for £156 for April please? (£5.20 a day again) Still got 2 weeks on the March thread though!
    Mortgage free as of 12/08/20!
    MFiT-5 no 45
    You can't fly with one foot on the ground!
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,201
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    edited 17 March 2019 at 2:59PM
    Hello, I haven't done this for a while as I have been just having whatever I like as long as it is not sugar!

However I have a new job which will be more fun but less income. In April I have 2 weeks off and then I need to get into a breakfast and lunch routine as my commute is changing. More prep required!!

Can I go for £200 please? And we'll see if I can get under that as the rest of the year takes shape.
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,552
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Ambassador
    Budgets updated to here

Stickied the thread now, silly me forgot to do it the other day!

I'm starting to think an annual budget may be a good way forward for me - £40 a week would work out to £2080, and if I use £200 a month that means £320 for stock/cleaning/bulk etc. I generally try and budget £200 a month but often go awry. Perhaps just changing my mindset to this annual amount (which would mean a weekly budget really), might help me to get a bit more of a handle on things!

I'm also feeling REALLY uninspired when it comes to meal planning - I pretty much HAVE to meal prep, at least partially, on Sundays or else my weeks descend into chaos because I tend to have very little time on weekday evenings, and this is where I often fail both monetarily and regards to sl1mm1ng w0rld. I've put loads of weight back on that I had lost (over a stone) and I'm struggling!!

Any insipiration for vegan meal prep welcome - I love seeing everyone's meal plans, vegan or not, as I do get ideas from them, so please all keep posting your meal plans!!! :D

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,306
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    elsiepac wrote: »
    Budgets updated to here

Stickied the thread now, silly me forgot to do it the other day!

I'm starting to think an annual budget may be a good way forward for me - £40 a week would work out to £2080, and if I use £200 a month that means £320 for stock/cleaning/bulk etc. I generally try and budget £200 a month but often go awry. Perhaps just changing my mindset to this annual amount (which would mean a weekly budget really), might help me to get a bit more of a handle on things!

I'm also feeling REALLY uninspired when it comes to meal planning - I pretty much HAVE to meal prep, at least partially, on Sundays or else my weeks descend into chaos because I tend to have very little time on weekday evenings, and this is where I often fail both monetarily and regards to sl1mm1ng w0rld. I've put loads of weight back on that I had lost (over a stone) and I'm struggling!!

Any insipiration for vegan meal prep welcome - I love seeing everyone's meal plans, vegan or not, as I do get ideas from them, so please all keep posting your meal plans!!! :D

I saw your March thread post about being deficient in Vitamin D (quite common in Vegans as the most rich sources are from meat, oily fish, dairy and eggs - none of which help you).

Can I suggest you have a winter risotto with Portobello mushrooms or a stuffed mushroom with vitamin D fortified breadcrumbs, garlic, chopped (unsalted) cashew nuts and shallots - Raw Chanterelle mushrooms in your salad are good sources of D too, and both are easy for work lunches now that Spring is here!

Otherwise you need to look out for almond or soy milk or orange juice, fortified with Vitamin D.

You should also try and get out in the sun at lunchtime for between 5 and 30 minutes 2-3 days a week - a brisk walk, with bare arms and head will soon redress the winter deficiency of D3 and boost the weight loss.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 16.02% spent or £480.73/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport