Cheapest Petrol & Diesel Discussion Area - Page 6

New Post Advanced Search

Cheapest Petrol & Diesel Discussion Area

edited 15 June 2010 at 10:06AM in Motoring
630 replies 149.9K views

Replies

• tomsticklandtomstickland Forumite
    19.5K posts
    In Gloucester and Cheltenham then Waitros have the lowest price regular unleaded, at 103.9p/Litre, compared with the most expensive at 10.9p/L.
    So it's 6p/Litre, which is £2.40 on a 40L fill. Quite significant if happen to passing near the cheapest station anyway.
    Happy chappy
  • I have been using petrolprices.com for ages and decided that as Tesco was nearly always cheapest I'd buy my fuel there. Then I worked out my fuel consumption, (approx £30 p/week) got a clubcard plus card so I double my points and pay for the fuel that way. So now I get 8 points for £1. Then I collect all my clubcard vouchers together and use the deals thing to pay for the car to be MOT'd and serviced at Nationwide Autocentre and pick up cc points there too. Its saved me an absolute packet, without changing my habits and been really easy to do. Last month I had an MOT, full service and the brakes repaired and it cost me £55! Dont know if it would help anyone else.

Im thinking of maxing my cc points even more by getting the cc credit card so I can earn points on my shopping elsewhere too!
    Current mortgage 133k
    Purchase price 171k
    Fixed deal ends sept 2019
    Current repayments 640pm
    Savings approx 60k
  • LimaLima Forumite
    63 posts
    This is a handy website that you can use to find the cheapest unleaded, diesel etc.... in your area by postcode: http://www.petrolprices.com
  • fzbucksfzbucks Forumite
    5 posts
    In my experience coasting results in poorer performance of the brakes when having to brake hard and a substantial increase in skidding.

When I first passed my test I used to coast a lot until I had a bump due to skidding whilst coasting. The car goes into a skid because the wheels lock up when the brakes are applied and the engine is disengaged so does not push the wheels.

This was in a pre ABS car but even the ABS effect is reduced if the engine is disengaged.
  • HappychappyHappychappy Forumite
    2.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    The site may be good but you need to give inside leg measurement, grannies middle name etc, just to view prices, didnt bother, but thanks for the post.
  • SystemSystem
    177.7K posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    With the rate that prices are changing, the site is out of date most of the time.
  • I have found new cars by Think - which are electric, available now with a good mileage range

Can anyone tell me how the carbon dioxide produced by a power station to provide the electricity to power a car compares with the carbon dioxide produced by a petrol driven car covering the same mileage - say 100 miles ?

i.e. is it an absolute waste of time buying an electric car in order to cut omissions ?:T
  • LosEndos wrote: »
    Thanks for the checking - I thought it was wrong. Sorry I made it hard by not putting the link in. I thought about it after I posted, but then never got around to it.

So In summary, 'save money on petrol' article is numerically wrong and presents a better case than it really is.

Still worth doing - but not going to give the rewards published.
    I don't know if helps, but I put together a little website that does some of those calculations for you:
    http://www.saveyourcash.co.uk/fuel/totalcost.aspx
    It is a bit basic at the moment, but I have plans to improve it over the next few weeks (day job permitting!).
    Feedback/suggestions welcomed. ;)

[As I mentioned above the url I posted is my site. I hope that doesn't constitute spamming. Please remove it if it does.]
  • g_parryg_parry Forumite
    15 posts
    I used the petrolprices.com website for local prices but it always came back with the local superstore - searching is not so easy when travelling so I now use a satnav POI file that contains every Tesco Extra, ASDA and Sainsbury filling station. Saves me a fortune in that I no longer use the motorway service stations, and most of these places do food and cheaper coffee too!The file is suitable for TomTom but contains links to convert the file for other Satnav systems. The file is being sold on ebay for £1.99 + postage but it can be found for free at http://www.drivehaven.co.uk
    :beer:
    don't let the sig fool you
    We don't encourage drinking and driving