Forum Home » Motoring

Cheapest Petrol & Diesel Discussion Area - Page 7

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Cheapest Petrol & Diesel Discussion Area

edited 15 June 2010 at 10:06AM in Motoring
630 replies 149.1K views

Replies

• moggylovermoggylover Forumite
    13.3K posts
    Not sure why there is so much fuss about the petrol prices going up to £5.00 a gallon! We have been paying £1.19.9 per LITRE for diesel for ages - and today it was up to 122.9!! Plus it is miles to go to all but one garage around here - so apart from getting some from Tesco when I do the shopping trip once a week (which might have to become once a fortnight before long if the diesel keeps going up) if one needs to top up locally you are totally stuck with that price. Otherwise you would waste more going looking for the cheapest than you would save on finding it! About 4p per litre cheaper if we go to Swansea though - but that is 40 odd miles away! The regional differences REALLY p*** me off. Went to Slough recently and it was 5p per litre cheaper there. We really cannot do without cars around here - cos you cannot get to anything, and yet our fuel costs more: and the wages are totally dreadful as well.

Is living in the countryside priceless? I wish! Would I move here if I knew 18 years ago what I know now? NO!
    "there are some persons in this World who, unable to give better proof of being wise, take a strange delight in showing what they think they have sagaciously read in mankind by uncharitable suspicions of them"
    (Herman Melville)
  • CarehCareh Forumite
    12 posts
    Hi, first off I must confess i haven't read all the replies in this thread, so apologies if this is a double post.
    In the article written it says "Fill up at night, but don’t overfill. Petrol pumps are calibrated by volume, so fill up at night when it’s cold and you get a miniscule bit extra. This is also a reason not to overfill the car after the nozzle clunks, as any excess may go out of the overflow and be wasted."

Excuse me being a car novice, but do cars have overflow things for petrol? I always ram my car as full as I can manage because I get tired of filling up so often - I'm not losing loads down some pipe am I? haha!

If someone could elaborate upon this query it would be much appreciated!

:confused:
  • Tojo_RalphTojo_Ralph Forumite
    8.4K posts
    Careh wrote: »
    Excuse me being a car novice, but do cars have overflow things for petrol? :confused:

I cannot state it as fact, but I think the answer to that one is no. :)

Have you ever removed your petrol cap, particularly on a hot day, when you haven't got much fuel in the tank and heard the air rush in, which implies a build up of pressure. :)
    The MSE Dictionary
    Loophole - A word used to entice people to read clearly written Terms and Conditions.
    Rip Off - Clearly written Terms and Conditions.
    Terms and Conditions - Otherwise known as a loophole or a rip off.
  • tenbagstenbags Forumite
    7 posts
    :jsave yourself up to 20p per trip to the petrol station:j.

Ever went to put £10 in and went over to say 1£10.02 when filling up? well petrol stations usually let you off that extra pence if you go over. I have found you can push this to a reasonable 5p at any of the major stations with no quibble whatsoever.

If you put say 40 in your car break this down to 4 different petrol stations and put £5 + 5p at each saying you only have a £5pound note and apologise, they always let you off...bingo a total saving of 20p.

Is it stealing or just a dishonest mistake?

-n
  • MrHelpfulMrHelpful Forumite
    172 posts
    I think its called being a "tight !!!!"
  • gwhichgwhich Forumite
    1 posts
    Further to Martin's discussions with Jeremy Vine, it's not the price per litre that's important but the price per mile. I switched from supermarket petrol to a known brand and achieved 10% better fuel consumption. I then changed to the premium fuel from Shell and BP and achieved a further 5% improvement.

This translates as saving about 16p per litre which more than compensates for the increased price without taking account of reduced engine wear and emissions
    George :beer:.
  • I downloaded the satnav file advertised here - brilliant!! No more relying on motorway services aalthough I do stop at them to set the satnav to find the nearest cheap petrol;) (And Tesco cafe's are not bad either)
  • peugeot_2peugeot_2 Forumite
    12 posts
    Just filled up at tescos they putting another 3p / litre on as i watched after filling up

SO be warned !!!!
  • looferloofer Forumite
    554 posts
    Richardp wrote: »
    I don't know if helps, but I put together a little website that does some of those calculations for you:
    http://www.saveyourcash.co.uk/fuel/totalcost.aspx
    It is a bit basic at the moment, but I have plans to improve it over the next few weeks (day job permitting!).
    Feedback/suggestions welcomed. ;)

[As I mentioned above the url I posted is my site. I hope that doesn't constitute spamming. Please remove it if it does.]
    Excellent site...
  • looferloofer Forumite
    554 posts
    I have been using petrolprices.com for ages and decided that as Tesco was nearly always cheapest I'd buy my fuel there. Then I worked out my fuel consumption, (approx £30 p/week) got a clubcard plus card so I double my points and pay for the fuel that way. So now I get 8 points for £1. Then I collect all my clubcard vouchers together and use the deals thing to pay for the car to be MOT'd and serviced at Nationwide Autocentre and pick up cc points there too. Its saved me an absolute packet, without changing my habits and been really easy to do. Last month I had an MOT, full service and the brakes repaired and it cost me £55! Dont know if it would help anyone else.

Im thinking of maxing my cc points even more by getting the cc credit card so I can earn points on my shopping elsewhere too!
    Anybody else aware of this Clubcard Plus??
    I've got Clubcard Credit card but you only get an extra 1 point for every £4 spent on the card.

so spend -
    £4 at Tescos and you 5 points
    £4 elsewhere and get just 1 point.

The only thing I could infer is if you had the normal clubcard in addition to the CC Credit card in which case you would but fuel (or other items) at tesco til, hand over your clubcard, get the points. Then when requested your payment, they don't even need to see the type of card you have, you just pop it into the pin reader and make the payment. Hopefully you will get points on that account too?

A little off topic I know :o