Replies

• edited 6 June at 11:16AM
    TalldaveTalldave Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 6 June at 11:16AM
    rags58 said:
    I've been with them almost 11 months. They were fine until the Dec email. Since then they have overestimated every month and since April continue to use winter estimates and refuse to revert to summer estimates no matter how many letters I write complaining. Sent them another complaint yesterday regarding June estimate. They may be cheap but the uncertainty and the hassle makes them a non-starter, no way will I renew .
    I wish Zog would do electricity as the contrast between them and symbio is night and day
    Totally agree.  Zog are a great example of a supplier that doesn't do an online portal/login/fake graph facility and does it matter - not one bit.  Symbio could do with taking note and giving up on their embarrassing attempt at a website with its fake data.

On the other hand Gulf are a small cheap supplier who do a very slick website/portal. So Symbio, that's how it's done - either don't do it or do it properly. 
  • matelodavematelodave Forumite
    5.4K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Does any of this monthly ranting and raving when the bill come in actually do any good except ramp up your post count.

IMO you either put up with it or leave
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • rags58rags58 Forumite
    42 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    I plan to switch at the end of this month, as soon as I incur no penalty.
    I'm happy for the people who have fixed direct debits and who do not object to symbios overestimations as the monthly amount is fixed and are not affected by their estimates. I do not have a fixed d/d since they placed me on their seasonal variable d/d. I accepted their higher winter payments without objection on the condition that from April as specified on their e-mail they would use summer estimated rates, which they haven't. I think if a company cant abide by their own terms and conditions I have every right to complain.
  • edited 6 June at 5:51PM
    MWTMWT Forumite
    756 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 6 June at 5:51PM
    rags58 said:
    I accepted their higher winter payments without objection on the condition that from April as specified on their e-mail they would use summer estimated rates, which they haven't. I think if a company cant abide by their own terms and conditions I have every right to complain.
    I totally agree that they shouldn't be doing what they are doing with the estimates, but as long as you can tolerate one payment being higher than it should be, doesn't the credit for the previous incorrect estimate cancel out the over charge on the next months incorrect estimate when you give them your actual meter reading each month?

• edited 6 June at 6:13PM
    TalldaveTalldave Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 6 June at 6:13PM
    Yes, but the frustration is that if you spend months estimating above EAC in winter, you should correspondingly estimate below EAC in summer. They aren't,  which means giving them any EAC is pointless. 

They are also using higher estimates for June than December's actual consumption. Either they are stupid (highly probable) or they are clinging on to higher over-estimates to limit the amount of cash they effectively have to give us back through the monthly reconciliation. 

My bill next month will repay me May and Junes over-estimated payments. (I'm a month behind because I gave a day late reading as part of free unit bingo that now seems to have ended.) If they used actual EAC for July, my Direct Debit payment will be negative. 

Remember we all signed up thinking we would be paying EAC/12 month in month out. The increased estimating was allegedly a winter thing - now we know that was a lie. So whilst they are cheap and we're only ever lending them one month's over-estimate percentage so it's not a big financial thing, it's the principle of being lied to and being expected to accept their stupid estimates that even they know are wrong because I defy anyone to use more energy in June than over Christmas. 
  • MWTMWT Forumite
    756 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed, like I said, they shouldn't be doing it, and of course people should complain, but the net result is a rolling one month over charge, not a massive build up of over-payments.
    It still amounts to a tidy sum as an interest free loan though so I would be inclined to consider if the core business is sound, as it seems likely they need this loan or they wouldn't be perpetuating their indefensible 'estimates'.
  • violettavioletta Forumite
    2.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Though if they happened to go under, even a month's worth of overestimating would be a sizeable sum they would be keeping for themselves that the supplier of last resort would have to pay us back
    A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion
  • moleratmolerat Forumite
    23K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My daughter has just got her bill, like me on a fixed DD, and they seem to have lost £16 on their amount due compared to my calculation.
  • edited 7 June at 3:17PM
    tk47tk47 Forumite
    310 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    edited 7 June at 3:17PM
    Found it!

To all those paying a variable monthly figure to Symbio, and wondering what the month by month variation should be, I found this interesting data of proposed monthly payments as stated on the Symbio website:

To make things simple for everyone, I generated this graph using the Symbio website based on an EAC of £1200, so an average monthly payment (EAC/12) of £100.
    Hopefully that will make things easy for you to work out what you should be paying, following Symbio's own assumed usage profile. Essentially you can take the monetry values as percentages of EAC/12

The bad news is that, as you can see, monthly costs will increase month by month from this month until January. (although no significant increase until September/October.
    All months between April and September inclusive should be less than EAC/12.

If Symbio are charging you other than in accordance with this profile (and you have not agreed otherwise) - complain and refuse to pay until it does!

e.g. As no payment should exceed 29.4% above EAC/12 (that being for January) and mine even for June remains stubbornly 37% above EAC/12 even for June when it obviously should be about 20% less than EAC/12, I hope Symbio can see why they have not received any payment from me since January.
    (I know Symbio read this thread, so hopefully they will now get around to responding to my complaint)

Edit: to be fair, the 37% over EAC/12 (adjusted) I quote for June relates to kWh, rather than cost, but hopefully you get the gist.
    e.g. the effect of standing charges will probably reduce the 37% figure slightly.

• MWTMWT Forumite
    756 posts
    500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    tk47 said:
    If Symbio are charging you other than in accordance with this profile (and you have not agreed otherwise) - complain and refuse to pay until it does!

e.g. As no payment should exceed 29.4% above EAC/12 (that being for January) and mine even for June remains stubbornly 37% above EAC/12 even for June when it obviously should be about 20% less than EAC/12, I hope Symbio can see why they have not received any payment from me since January.
    When you say 'refuse to pay' I trust you are not suggesting that people cancel their DD?
    With most energy contracts, if you cancel the DD they have the right to put you on their most expensive deemed tariff, so that is rarely a good thing to suggest...
    If you can't agree the DD amount I'd always suggest switching away rather than cancelling a DD.