PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

February 2019 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 February 2019 at 2:09AM
    Options
    I know it is not what you would normally call "dinner" but it is quick and easy to prepare and I will eat it.
    Wishing you a speedy recovery. I had a friend round for dinner tonight and made jacket potatoes 'a la microwave' with spicy beans n salad - couldn't be arsed, but it was lovely.

Not sure what happened. Nearly blown all the budgets - she says with her feet up, quaffing on a 'Black Russian'. I did a Tesco online shop and stocked up 'to the brim' on tins #Brexit. I have a friend staying at the w/e and also my son is home in 9 days (not that i'm counting) and he needs fattening up, so went a bit mad. Also ...... #Labour #7dwarfs #BlairWitches #FunnyTinge doesn't help. Have a lovely rest of month - I don't think i'm done yet.

p.s. For those interested Iceland No Bull Vegan Burgers are reduced to £1.
  • Ginmonster
    Options
    Save_Dosh wrote: »
    p.s. For those interested Iceland No Bull Vegan Burgers are reduced to £1.

Thanks for the tip. I might give them a try at that price. I'll be going near am Iceland today anyway so I can pop in. Maybe burgers for tea tonight!
  • K9sandFelines
    Options
    Spends of £3.93 in work last night on various reduced items and offers.
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £118.89 April £106.38 May £?
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just ordered a Morrisons delivery of approx £30, so am at £80/120 So far this month.Am having a bad pain flare up, so have ordered all the heavy tins, dog food etc, so I don't need to carry them :D
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • Ginmonster
    Options
    I nipped into Iceland today to try the vegan burgers on offer for £1 and while I was there picked up some Linda McCartney sausages and burgers also for £1 each and a bag of frozen peppers for the Brexit stash. £4 spent in total so there's still the chance of squeezing in under budget this month if I'm sensible.

111.41/120
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Ginmonster wrote: »
    I nipped into Iceland today to try the vegan burgers on offer for £1
    Glad you managed to get them. I would recommend cooking them longer than it says on the pack, really makes a difference, otherwise they taste mushy.
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Options
    Since last post we have spent £8.54.

I'm having vegetable sukiyaki, with glass noodles.
    OH is having beef stir fry with Singapore noodles.

£174.30/£182.
    £7.70 left

Defiantly going to be over budget though as at least £5.30 will be added for food part of an Abel and Cole delivery next week :(. I really doubt we'll get by on just £2.40. Hopefully not over by too much.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • Wysiwyg49
    Options
    I’m a victim of multiple devices so my added up spends are on laptop but I don’t want to go and get it...(first world problems!) Will update spend tomorrow.

Think I’m doing ok but I’m going to try to stick to £75 per week for 3 of us. Tonight’s challenge - chili but DH hates kidney beans so I have two pans bubbling, one has cannelini beans in! So I have 2 half tins of beans. Maybe tomorrow should be bean burgers.

DD now at uni - something has rubbed off because she batch cooks like a demon and has about 12 meals in freezer. Mostly bolognaise, chili, veg curry, and she makes salmon with rice and veg. In my day it was more basic, lots of beans and eggs! But I think it’s the add-ons that bump the cost up - fruit juice, Evian (my preference :o) and DH gets through quite a lot of biscuits!
    GC Feb 2019 (to 10th) £397.07/£300
  • JingsMyBucket
    Options
    Evening all. For some reason I haven’t been posting on here as much and I’m trying to figure out why. Maybe it’s because I feel slightly ashamed for spending so much money this month and I’m avoiding? I think that may be it. I also need to remind myself that I’m reestablishing my “household” so to speak. That includes buying things like kitchen knives or cleaning products so I shouldn’t be too hard on myself.

Since my last post on February 10th I’ve spent $130.02. The highlights include soups, chicken stock, spices, some fancy treat chocolate and other good stuff. I still need to get some things so I can start baking like alternative sweetener and a few spices like cayenne pepper.

TOTALS SO FAR:
    $397.31 / $450.00
    8 / 10 NSD
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    JingsMB - I miss your posts. It is so exciting, setting up home in another country and really interesting to read about the differences in prices, availability of products and compromise choices, and so on!
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family