PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

February 2019 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,734 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Nothing spent since last post so a few more NSDs racked up. :)

All this talk of the jam crumblie has got me wanting some so I'll be making it on Wednesday as I'll have the oven on then anyway so may as well use up the free space. ;)
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • Need2bthrifty
    Options
    Everyone seems to be doing so well :T, apologies as I’m another who hasn’t been around for a couple of weeks, just totted up my receipts and have spent £34.43 which takes my monthly total to £45.78. However, I have lost/mislaid an @ldi receipt from last week when I was “on the go” and stopped for a sandwich, small bottle of water, a banana, cold meat and a six pack of hot cross buns, so as a guestimate I will round up my monthly total to £50.00.

I’ve been a bit lazy recently not planning (reactive not proactive :o) and although it feels a bit of a chore sometimes a meal plan does keep me focused on using up and not wasting. I’m determined to get back into planning and first to focus on this week is leftover rice noodles, ¼ head broccoli, ½ a cabbage, a red & green pepper, celeriac, spring onions and a little gem lettuce.

Main meals so far =
    M - Cheesy mash topped leek & mushroom pie with broccoli & carrot.
    T - Gammon, roast celeriac, peas & sweetcorn.
    W – Singapore noodles.
    Th – Bean casserole, shredded veg, garlic bread slice.
    F – Korean chilli, sesame & honey chicken, rice & salad

Best go and update my signature.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,147 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    £2 today on bread & milk. I will need a proper shop later in the week, February is going well GC spends-wise though that could change as my son is home this weekend!
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Options
    Since last post we have spent £24.62.

I'm having a Buddha bowl for dinner; lots of good food, one big bowl :cool:.
    OH is having steak, corn on the cob and smoked paprika sweet potato wedges for his dinner.

£165.76/£182.
    £16.24 left.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • Highland_Fling
    Options
    Good morning everyone
    Thank you thriftwizard for your good wishes.
    Had to have an unscheduled op just before Christmas and not only have I been recuperating from surgery but also have a few other health issues. To be honest some days I just can't bring myself to make an effort. However those type of days are becoming less frequent and hopefully I will get back on track soon. I am planning very simple small meals. e.g. scrambled eggs and toast. I know it is not what you would normally call "dinner" but it is quick and easy to prepare and I will eat it. I also try to snack on fruit and veg. Good luck to everyone else. I am enjoying reading your posts.
  • pinkdays
    Options
    Bit late in the month but never to late to start. Hello Everyone, never budgeted before so bare with me!
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    elsiepac wrote: »
    Done! I added a note next to the link - it's on page 8 :D

Thanks Elsie. Appreciated.
    Good morning everyone
    I thought I had posted yesterday but post doesn't seem to have appeared.
    I have been absent for quite a few weeks due to health issues.
    Not been eating much and cooking less so budget ok but meal plan rubbish.
    Hope to get back on track as health improves.

You did post, Hun, but it was to the February 2018 thread, not this one. Completely threw me when I read it via the nightly email.

Hope you feel better, soon, Highland Fling.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons: 22 spent, 44 remain.
    4 coupons - 200g Caithness Yarns DK Sedge
    4 coupons - 2 x 100g WYS Signature Sock
    14 coupons - summer coat
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    pinkdays wrote: »
    Bit late in the month but never to late to start. Hello Everyone, never budgeted before so bare with me!

Welcome Pinkdays. Please read the posts at the start of the thread, they're full of really helpful ideas.

Most of us budget payday-to-payday, although a few set an annual budget but the challenge is all about what is right for you and beating your own targets. Do you have any idea what you're spending now on food for the month? Got a stash of receipts anywhere? If you do, then tally up your food spends for the last month or so, to give yourself a target to beat.

If you don't have a stash of receipts, then start by saving all your food-related receipts from here until the end of March. Once you know how much you are spending, you can analyse your receipts to work out where the money is going and figure out what you are going to change.

HTH

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons: 22 spent, 44 remain.
    4 coupons - 200g Caithness Yarns DK Sedge
    4 coupons - 2 x 100g WYS Signature Sock
    14 coupons - summer coat
  • sweetpea26
    Options
    Drawing a line under February as we go on holiday today... £337.26 ... I have def overspent a bit on fast food this month and eating out. I def do see a jump in price on quite a bit of basic items..the stealth tax as I would call it.

all the best to everyone for the rest of the month ...see you over in March challenge.
  • tighteningthebelt
    Options
    Hi all, shopping 24.42 at aldi and 10.45 for a lunch out. On track. Signature updated.
    A bit of grin and bear it, a bit of come and share it
    You're welcome we can spare it, yellow socks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family