PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February 2019 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• VickyV
    VickyV Posts: 247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Need to post spends of 35p in Tesc0 for a lime and £3.80 in Ald1 for emergency loo roll, milk and lettuce. Not sure where that puts me for the week (I know I have £16 and a bit left) or the month, will update sig and stash the leftovers in the slush fund. :)
    Grocery challenge:December 2022 £151.96/£400 . Advent decluttering challenge 47/240.
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    £7.71 in Tosco, seemed to have given the brandy a bashing this week so bought a litre for £16, bottles 70c just don`t seem to last, at least I had £13.50 in vouchers I have been saving, start expiring in June so used them, some y.s. goats cheese and a dolcelatte, sourdough loaf and some bleach bomb things for toilet cistern.
    Saw a horror film on F/B about a snake curled around the toilet rim and its removal, only just, nearly, recovered from my friends rat in the toilet. So loads of bleach/ cleaners anything I can lay my hands on gets chucked into my toilet on a daily/hourly basis, in the hope of repelling any invasions.
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • Merlin's_Beard
    Options
    £8.05 in T's so I'm 40p over for February.... you know what, I'll let myself off that. It should be the last shop for the month. I just wish I'd remembered that I had a £2 off voucher sat at home, would have been nice to be under!

I've done a bit of stocking up on tins in the last month or so, but I might do a bit more next month. It probably won't be needed but I won't feel awful if my freezer and cupboards are well stocked for the end of the month, just in case. And if it's not needed, then my April GC will be very, very easy!

Pamsdish... I'm off to bleach my toilet!!!
    Start mortgage date: August 2022; Start mortgage amount: £240,999; Original mortgage free date: August 2056
    Current mortgage amount: £233.529.75
    Start student loan 2012: £29,750; current student loan: £11.400.50; OP offset fund: £750
  • Wysiwyg49
    Options
    Somehow my spends this week add up to a whopping £116.64 so I have blown the budget again and there's almost a week to go! :eek:

Made chicken stuffed with Philly and wrapped in a couple of slices of Parma ham dug out of back of fridge last night, with dauphinoise veg (potatoes, sweet potatoes and cabbage mixture). Very nice. Doing a paella tonight with the 1 leftover chicken breast - cooking for 3 is quite awkward for things like that! - plus a few prawns from freezer and some LO chorizo. So all that is from leftovers really.

Must do a good list for this weekend...
    GC Feb 2019 (to 10th) £397.07/£300
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,124 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    £26 today mainly on veg, bread etc. Hoping this is my last spend before the 28th though might need milk mid-week.
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,137 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Spent a whopping 65p in Lidl yesterday on hummus. I’m stalking them for their recycled toilet paper, which usually goes on sale in February but have yet to make an appearance. For the first time in a decade, we have absolutely no spare toilet rolls in the house. Come on Lidl! (Why can’t they stock the damn thing regularly? I have no idea. If you see any, please let me know.)

Tomorrow, when I visit MrT’s for the Sunday paper, I’ll buy a packet of their 2-ply recycled toilet paper, which is OK but not as nice as Lidl’s 4-ply. (Lidl don’t take Sunday Times vouchers.)

Anyway, the above takes our February GC Challenge to £87.33/£142.20 leaving £54.87 in the pot for the rest of the month.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Options
    Since last post we have spent £1.52.

I'm having tofu bean fajitas.
    OH is out at a Rugby watching today, so junk food and copious amounts of alcohol is on his menu. That comes out of the entertainment budget though.

£175.82/£182.
    £6.18 left

Yep defiantly going to be over budget though as at least £5.30 will be added for food part of an Abel and Cole delivery we need. It's damage control now. Hoping not to spend £200 this month though.
    We've really noticed price rises. We've switched some products to cheaper stores but other products we won't compromise on.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    Had to buy two pints of milk and a block of cooking cheese but otherwise we will wait for pay day on Tuesday. I am off to make fridge veg curry and hm Naan's for tonight to have with a bit of monkfish tail. I think I will marinade it and then bake it in a foil parcel of steam and a knob of butter
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,723 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Made a random stir fry with bits of this n that.. was very tasty, even DS1 said he’s like that again :D

I love stir fries and, like you, use up random bits & bobs - maybe that's why they never turn out the same twice! :rotfl: They're always nice though.
    We've really noticed price rises. We've switched some products to cheaper stores but other products we won't compromise on.

Yup, and that's before B-Day too! :( Why do I get the feeling some manufacturers/stores are just jumping on the bandwagon?

Didn't do the Sainsbugs run on Friday after all as I decided we could manage a few days more. So, just market spends totalling £7.70. There's now £61.36 left in the kitty and one week to go - really pleased with that as I can divert some extra dosh to the holiday fund. :j
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • thriftwizard
    Options
    I've added £75 to my total, which is a bit of a guess but an over-estimate rather than an under-estimate. It's more than it needed to be but I'm on my last week of treatment now & my brain has apparently wandered off to somewhere nicer! It also includes some special offer storecupboard buys for future reference; for example an extra bottle of vanilla extract.

I am sooooo looking forward to feeling better and being able to quaff orange juice & eat marmalade again!
    Angie - GC May 24 £411.57/£450: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure