PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Weight Loss the Old Style Way Part 11

Options

Comments

• CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,778 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good morning all,

Today will be spent indoors apart from the school runs as the weather is horrible. Very windy and pouring with rain. Roads are flooded and trees have fallen.....

Slowdown nothing written by anyone is boring. Even if what people write doesn't apply to you it's worth reading to realise that everybody struggles with the weight loss thing.

Being overweight and trying to lose weight can be very isolating - especially when other people run the "oh it's easy, eat less, move more" line past you. The truth is that lots of things impact weight - medication, mental health, physical health, budget and so on. Sometimes weight loss involves dealing with things that you've locked up in a tiny box at the back of your mind....

I'm working on giving up some bad habits. Savesummore I really wanted sweets a couple of times last night but I resisted too. Oooh, fishfinger butties, yum!

I was wondering if some sort of mantra to chant when we're faced with a choice between unhealthy food or doing without or with a choice between healthy/unhealthy food. When I'm running and struggling to carry on I say "stronger, faster, fitter" over and over in my head. The best I can come up with for food is the rather childish "Eeny meeny miny mo, I have the choice, I can say no!" so could we have some suggestions please? Maybe some of you already have something that you say to yourself?

katiepants be kind to yourself. The law of attraction says that you attract more of what you have so dwell on your success and your weight loss rather than how far you have to go.

dumpling where are you my friend. I know life isn't great for you sometimes but don't let that make you a stranger here :)

Thought for today (pinched from Facebook) "Life may have handed you a cactus but you don't have to sit on it".

Take care all of you :)
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,778 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MSE Old Style Weight Loss First Quarter 2019

Imperial (lbs)

big5 ....................2/14-/:):)/
    Brambling.............2.5/10 :)/:)/;)
    Cranky..................2.5/11 :)/;)/:)
    dandy-candy..........0.5/14-/:);)/:D
    Doing it my way.....2/10:):)/STS/
    dumpling...............5/14:):):):)/:)/
    Edina Typhoon........0/8-/-/
    fit and freaky.........1/16:)/STS/
    Ginmonster............1/5 -/STS/:)
    GreenEcoGirl..........2.5/0-/:):);)/
    Izadora..................0/14-/-/
    katiepants..............2/10-/-/:):)
    LadyGada..............1.5/10-/:);)/
    monks...................3/10-/:)/:):)
    MrsLottie................0.5/10-/;)/
    Munchin.................3/14:)/:):)/
    Plain Jane...............0/7-/-/
    Rose Wood.............1/7-/:)/
    savesummore.........1/10-/:)/
    Slowdown..............2/14-/-/:):)
    SIRENS..................1/14 :)/STS/STS
    star trek fan............1/7-/:)/
    Sue14....................3/10:):)/:)/
    VickyV....................0/11-/STS/
    zafiro1984..............2.5/14-/:)):);)/

Metric (kg)

butterfly 2507 0.8/0-/-/:)
    ktj...............0/10-/

Group weight loss week 1 ........... 14 lbs
    Group weight loss week 2............ 20 lbs
    Group weight loss week 3.............7.5 lbs & 0.8kg
  • Izadora
    Izadora Posts: 2,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    CRANKY40 wrote: »
    Being overweight and trying to lose weight can be very isolating - especially when other people run the "oh it's easy, eat less, move more" line past you.

My response to that is generally "Would you consider telling an anorexic that it's easy, just eat more?". Most people look at me blankly and tell me that they're totally different things but some people get it.
  • MrsLottie
    Options
    I’m missing Dumpling too ! I have eleven grandchildren ( second marriage) so those are between us. They range from 21 to 4 years and I agree they keep us on our toes but good for sharing excercise, running after toddlers in the park or going on a long walk to sort out teenage problems. We tend to be good at these things don’t we cos we’ve had lots of practice I suppose. But when it comes to ourselves I think we push our own needs away in order to be on the ready for others. I’m going to work on this and care about myself too in the long run that will benefit others too.
    My weigh day is tomorrow and I think I’ve lost this week so crossing fingers and keeping my mouth from eating anything unhealthy today !
  • savesummore
    savesummore Posts: 1,134 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    CRANKY40 wrote: »
    Good morning all,

"Eeny meeny miny mo, I have the choice, I can say no!"

Thought for today (pinched from Facebook) "Life may have handed you a cactus but you don't have to sit on it".

Take care all of you :)
    :rotfl:
    :rotfl:
    Oh how much do I love both of these sayings brilliant!
    O/S weight loss 2.5 /10lbs (11st 8.0- 08.02)
  • Rose_Wood
    Rose_Wood Posts: 867 Forumite
    edited 7 February 2019 at 9:32PM
    Options
    Quick post from me before DGD arrives for tea. She's staying the night so I shall be busy from about 4.30 onwards. No doubt we'll have plenty of exercise playing together.

It was really cold and windy this morning and my tennis got cancelled. I have managed two longish walks though so am nearly up to my step target. I had to give two history talks today - one to seven and eight year olds and one to a U3A history group - so been fairly busy.

Lunch: Cheese and spinach omelette with broccoli and peppers. Shared an apple with DS.
    Dinner: Prawns in a creamy mushroom sauce with courgette noodles and peas.
    Treats: 4 squares of dark chocolate.

My mantra is NO. No sugar, no seconds, no supper. It usually works, though it helps if I don't have stuff around - ie out of sight, out of mind.

Rose

ETA: We did get lots of exercise! She persuaded me to let her watch a second episode of Just Add Magic, but to earn it we ran laps round the settee - 150 of them!!!
    Weight Loss Challenge 5/7/19 10st 6lbs
    Target 8st 12lbs

Daily Steps Challenge 16,000
    Average daily steps: January 19,317, February 19,449, March 20,330, April 22,026, May 20,412 June 15,690
  • LadyGada
    Options
    Morning everyone
    I hope that you have had a successful week and are able to record a loss, if not don’t be hard on yourself just try to keep going and you will get there. I am away from home for a few weeks and won’t be able to weigh in until I’m back. If I can stay the same whilst being away I shall be delighted and then I’ll have to go for it big time to meet my loss target by the end of March. I’ll keep checking in to keep motivated.
  • VickyV
    VickyV Posts: 247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well, this week has been a lot better - even though I was forced to eat my way though a pizza mountain of leftovers from my 10 Yr old DS's birthday sleepover (yes, I am clearly insane. It won't happen again - one notified me he was allergic to cats after he'd spent all evening chasing one round to cuddle it, one was adamant he wanted pizza only to decide he didn't like cheese and one peed the bed and didn't tell me.
    :eek:)
    2-3 good days have seen me record - 3lb for the week! Really pleased with that!

Well done to everyone who is still here and posting, regardless of the numbers!

Vicky x
    Grocery challenge:December 2022 £151.96/£400 . Advent decluttering challenge 47/240.
  • savesummore
    savesummore Posts: 1,134 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning all,
    1.5LB LOSS for me please
    I'm not sure how I have done this or even if I deserve it after all the nibbles this week but I'm delighted!

Just need to make sure it doesn't go back on next week.

Have a good day all
    O/S weight loss 2.5 /10lbs (11st 8.0- 08.02)
  • MrsLottie
    MrsLottie Posts: 128 Forumite
    Options
    Good morning everybody .Pleased to say I have lost 1.5lbs this week.So that’s 2lbs altogether.

My mantra is to keep saying to myself whenever I’m tempted to eat what ever won’t help my weight loss “I CAN DO THIS TO HELP MYSELF”.

Let’s keep doing this together -we can get there however slowly we can move forward in our group loss.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure