Default Las Vegas guide and MSE thread 2019

Options

Comments

• photome
    photome Posts: 16,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Yes but I doubt Norwich has direct flights to Seattle either :)

No it doesnt, I have to do 2 changes,(often through Seattle) not sure what your point is though

I was just replying to your point about an indirect flight being a lot of faff but for some of us its preferable to having to get to London first or back from London at the end
  • bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 6 March 2019 at 4:50PM
    Options
    photome wrote: »
    No it doesnt, I have to do 2 changes,(often through Seattle) not sure what your point is though

Parkrunner's origin airport is Heathrow, which has direct flights to Vegas on a daily basis with BA and soon to be Virgin as well. Not the case with Norwich.

In his case, personally I would rather get there earlier and pay the bit extra and go direct to Vegas from Heathrow rather than putting in a change at Seattle and worry about making a 75 minute connection, but I appreciate not everyone has the financial capability to do so.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Parkrunner's origin airport is Heathrow, which has direct flights to Vegas on a daily basis with BA and soon to be Virgin as well. Not the case with Norwich.

In his case, personally I would rather get there earlier and pay the bit extra and go direct to Vegas from Heathrow rather than putting in a change at Seattle and worry about making a 75 minute connection, but I appreciate not everyone has the financial capability to do so.

Makes sense. I would also fly direct unless the savings are huge (its a moneysaving site ;)) My flights from Norwich are often less than a direct flight from London so I save on flight cost and the no travel/hotel that would be rqd, I do agree though they can be a faff and we have missed connections
  • baza52
    baza52 Posts: 3,029 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree Bradders, we went indirect one year and i would never do it again.
    Lack of IFE on the internal flights and lack of food and drink didnt help.
    I would rather get there quicker and without the need to change planes but i also understand that everyone is different and that money saved can be money spent out there.

Im flying with BA in 6 weeks for the first time as i usually travel with VA
  • dontone
    dontone Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 7 March 2019 at 4:47PM
    Options
    baza52 wrote: »
    I agree Bradders, we went indirect one year and i would never do it again.
    Lack of IFE on the internal flights and lack of food and drink didnt help.
    I would rather get there quicker and without the need to change planes but i also understand that everyone is different and that money saved can be money spent out there.

Im flying with BA in 6 weeks for the first time as i usually travel with VA

We did the indirect trip too in 2004. Never again. Flight from Manchester to Philly, and the flight was late taking off, so we just about managed to get to the plane to Vegas, and then, when we got there, we realised that our luggage was on the next flight. So we had to go to the hotel without it and it turned up at 4am.
    The plane was a right tin can, and the air cabin crew told off anybody who got up from their seat to use the toilet. It was like asking for rocks from the moon just asking for a can of pop from them.
    It was just horrible.
    After that, we always fly direct. It saves all the hassle and a lot of time too.
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin':T :j
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I agree - I want to sit on a plane and when I get off I want to be in Vegas.
    Agreed you might save a few quid (and when flights from Dublin were really cheap it was tempting) but you lose half a day.
    The morning flights from Manchester with either Virgin or Thomas Cook get you there lunch time - by the time you get through customs and collect baggage it's time to check in!
  • parkrunner
    parkrunner Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options

I could afford it thankfully but the saving was too good to turn down. Plus the short connection is on the way home so less worried about that.
    It's nothing , not nothink.
  • dannodw
    dannodw Posts: 716 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Quick question based on people in the know's previous experiences, but when typically will be the next 'sale' period for the likes of BA and Virgin? Is Easter a possibility?

Ready to book my trip for November this year but don't want to book now and there be a sale within the month!
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    dannodw wrote: »
    Quick question based on people in the know's previous experiences, but when typically will be the next 'sale' period for the likes of BA and Virgin? Is Easter a possibility?

Ready to book my trip for November this year but don't want to book now and there be a sale within the month!

Thomas Cook are having a flash sale to the U.S. now but don't think Vegas was included - already booked so not looking at the moment.

My advice is this - how much are you comfortable with paying? What is the price now? Would a few quid either way make a big difference overall?

Good luck with booking your hols.
  • vegasvisitor
    vegasvisitor Posts: 2,295 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    dannodw wrote: »

I'd be keen to know if there are any possibilities of sales soon too. Prices seem to be a bit high this year, especially given that the quoted prices don't include luggage at £40 pp each way, adding at least £80 to the fare.

I'm looking for Glasgow flights, just in case anyone happens to see anything. My next best option right now is a Thomas Cook out of Manchester at £500ish, plus luggage. Would rather fly from Glasgow though.

We had been considering doing monument valley, but other than seeing horseshoe bend and antelope canyon (which may also be sweltering in early September), I can't really get that enthusiastic about it. The View (apparently the best hotel) is well over £200 per night. I was even considering the KLM flights to LA, but the connections are a bit short going out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure