Frump to Fab 2019 - Here We Go Again

Comments

• sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 March 2019 at 9:45PM
    SUgarbaby. I am fortunate in that I don't have a sweet tooth.....but the truth is carbs are actually very addictive, especially the sugary ones. It can be very difficult to wean yourself off them, but not impossible. Once you have got them out of your system you will feel better.

If You go cold turkey you might find that you feel unwell for a few days.....they call it "carb flu". It all depends on how well you can cope with complete withdrawal and whether cutting down might be easier for you. The withdrawal headaches can be ferocious.

At any rate, try eating fruit, it should help with the sugar cravings. Some people find sugar free jelly helpful during the transition stage It's still sweet though so it doesn't really address a sweet tooth and so doesn't really change bad habits. And of course it contains artificial sweeteners which are also best avoided.

Don't forget that "white carbs" ie white potatoes, pasta, white rice and white bread all convert to sugars too. Quite apart from my grain intolerance I have to avoid all white carbs to try and control my blood sugar levels. (5.7 yesterday, wahoo :j. Getting there).

Good luck and try and think long term......health and fitness benefits as well as losing weight in the short term.

LL I have never had a lack of willpower in the past whenever I have wanted to lose weight and to tone up my body.

We are all unique and that also goes for how each of our bodies work and even though I have a sweet tooth and am a complete chocoholic, I also know how to eat a balanced diet across all of the food groups.

When I was the Young Women's Healthy Eating Project Co-Ordinator, I started the project and my role in an empty office with a phone and a desk top computer. I was given a list of local Secondary schools and youth clubs and most of the youth clubs had long been disbanded. The project was aimed at young women aged anywhere from age 13 to age 30. I had to take myself out to local groups and to Secondary schools to try to get young local women to come along to my 2 hour weekly workshops. I had to order my own filing cabinet and I had to gather professional resources for use in my workshops.

When I was applying for the post, I had not dreamed of being the successful candidate as I had zero experience in this field. I did however use reliable sources like the British Heart Foundation (BHF) to educate myself about the barriers that may prevent people from eating a balanced diet and what a balanced diet looked like. I had been on benefits before I got this post and so I was able to directly relate to my service users, some of whom I had crossed paths with at local Sure Start events in the recent past before the inception of the Young Women's Healthy Eating Project.

I trained myself on the job to evaluate and monitor the project, which were skills I did not possess before I accepted the post. I also had to secure creche staff for the free creche to make the project more accessible to young women who were also single and married mothers.

All the women who attended the workshop and their children, creche staff and myself were entitled to a free lunch when they came to 'my workshops' so I also had to devise healthy lunch menus suitable for all the women and their children, buy all of the food and cook the food for everyone. I had always been told by family and friends that I was a good cook, but I had never before been paid to cater for other people.

The largest Sure Start event that I catered for was for 80 people to publicize the Young Women's Healthy Eating Project.

I led my Healthy Eating Project by example. I changed my children and my eating habits so that we were all eating very healthy but great tasting meals. I did the same in the workshops, but I advocated making small changes in the women's and children's eating habits that did not make it necessary for them to find extra funds for the weekly shop for their individual families. At the end of the 1st year of the project I had successfully lost 5 stones and toned up my whole body by doing lots of walking. Walking was the only type of exercise I was promoting to my service users because there was no financial cost in walking only financial gain in not paying as many bus fares and when you are living on Benefits every single penny counts.

After the 1st year of the project which was a quantifiable success I was instrumental in securing funding from the Primary Care Trust for the project to continue for another year.

All of the knowledge that I gained in this post has never been forgotten by me. I still have extensive knowledge of Healthy Eating. :D

I am 100% confident that I will not suffer from headaches, carb flu or any other ill effects from cutting out all crisps, sweets, chocolate, cakes and biscuits as I never have in the past.

My 26 year old daughter has told me how proud she is of my iron determination and will power as I have not missed a day of exercise since I started more than 2 weeks ago and I am not eating any of the foods I have decided to completely cut out of my daily diet. :D

Taking into account my 3 types of Arthritis and my enlarged heart and my other minor health issues my body is responding well to my daily exercise routine. :cool:

My clothes are already fitting better even though my weight loss has come to a temporary standstill. :D:j

I am fortunate that I do not have any foods that my body is not able to tolerate. :D
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Fab post, SUgarbaby......you never cease to astonish me. You are an amazing woman. :D

Given your knowledge and determination I am sure you are going to look absolutely stunning for your holiday. Don't forget I've already seen you on the TV and I thought you looked lovely then, so with a bit of weight loss and toning up, I bet you will really look fab-u-Lous. :D

Well I just had a rummage in my box of tricks and found a glycolic peel kit which I had forgotten about. (Boots No 7 10% so very gentle). have just used it and my skIn looks and feels better already.

Going to make up some serum now and then settle down with a cuppa and my book.
  • eandjsmum
    eandjsmum Posts: 465 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Flo61 wrote: »
    For people interested in reading magazines, there is a website called ‘readly’ where you can sign up for about £8 month and get access to loads of titles online. Worth a look.

I have just started a Latin class through the u3A which is bringing back lots of memories of school! It’s difficult but nice to be with a group of other women interested in the subject too. I am finding the translations totally absorbing and a source of mindfulness. There are about twelve of us and I would guess a couple are nudging 80! Very inspirational.

Dont forget the public library's also have magazines that you can download. Mine uses a program called RB digital and the magazines are free.:T
  • eandjsmum wrote: »
    Dont forget the public library's also have magazines that you can download. Mine uses a program called RB digital and the magazines are free.:T

My local library have the borrow box app and it is great. I can download ebooks and audio books. It is simple to use and allows reservations to be made.

My scalp is so dry and itchy- it feels almost painful. I didn't do anything different , maybe too much conditioner but it is not fun. Something messed up the delicate balance of me not scratching the head of myself.

I am trying to plan something nutritious daily for lunch the next day and train myself to not regularly miss meals. Everyday one step but ideally a load more,
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    For all of us impatient ones........Thought for the day.....

Speed is not important. Forward is forward. :D.

I shall have to remind myself of this when I get exasperated because I feel that I am not making progress fast enough.

Good morning lovely ladies.....

Dreadful weather again. Again I have to remind myself it's only temporary. The sun will shine, summer will come.

Off out to meet a friend for lunch and a little retail therapy. No worries I shall both eat and spend wisely. :rotfl:

Have a great day.
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    LL - Very wise words indeed, I think I will write this out and attach it to the cover of my diary.

High winds here too, making a lot of noise in the chimney which upsets our lovely Border Collie, I have been feeding her the "magic biscuits" which we bought as part of the calming arsenal for fireworks week!

I have just suggested to OH that we go to smallish local garden centre and take advantage of one of the 2 for 1 breakfast vouchers that we have:D Must go and get smartened up, warm and waterproof is the choice for this morning I think.

Keep safe everyone.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • It’s today at last! :T:T

I will update later - wish me luck aaaggghhhh!
  • Good luck LuxuryWoman xx
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Luxurywoman - hope that all goes well.:D:D
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • LuxuryWoman
    LuxuryWoman Posts: 156 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I am done.
    Minimal pain but I expect to be sore later. My mouth feels weird but I have the teeth I had at 30 again. Plus an enormous bill.

I want to put some lipstick on but I can’t feel my lips at all. It’s been a journey :rotfl::rotfl:

A weekend of facepacks, hair colour and eyebrow threading I think, won’t cost much and I’ll get a few treats with my points.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure