edited 3 April 2019 at 12:33PM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
2.8K replies 257.7K views

Replies

• eandjsmumeandjsmum Forumite
    465 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Good morning lovely ladies.

Some very interesting thoughts about "one mile wear".

For me it depends on what I'm doing, whether I'm doing dirty/messy jobs like decorating or gardening or whether I'm just pottering about and nipping in and out.

I agree Chanie that sometimes even when we're dressing down it's nice to make a bit of an effort. Often just a few simple tweaks is enough. I think footwear is definitely a factor. I make a point of replacing slippers or indoor shoes regularly. Shuffling round in tatty slippers makes me feel like a bag lady. :rotfl:

However, I have one golden rule, everything has to be clean (even if it's paint spattered:rotfl:). no food stains on my "shelf". It often shocks me when I see people in dirty stained clothing......as for pyjamas in Asda :eek: - have they no pride .
    I agree.
  • lessonlearnedlessonlearned Forumite
    13.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    eandjsmum wrote: »
    Tape measure braved. Oh dear :eek:
    The weather is foul here today otherwise I would be out fabbing the garden. May be after a little housework I'll pop down to the local county town for some retail therapy. I need to replace a couple of mats ,then I could treat myself to some fav shower gel and body lotion before stocking up on shampoo. I may even find some cushion stuffing who knows.
    Have a great weekend all keep fabbing.

Try not to fret, just keep going.

Remember the golden mantra.

"Persistence Pays Off".

Maybe a few tummy crunches. :rotfl:

And, yes definitely, a bit of retail therapy to spur you on. :D
  • edited 16 March 2019 at 12:24PM
    humptydumptybitshumptydumptybits Forumite
    3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 16 March 2019 at 12:24PM
    I've splashed out and bought a new strap for my watch. It cost more than the watch did, that's inflation for you. It is a nice strong leather one, my watch takes some punishment as I only take it off in the bath/shower, otherwise it is on my wrist 24/7. I think I could give up wearing my wedding ring more easily than my watch.

I am sure there is some deep psychological reason why knowing the time is so important to me, thinking about it I am a stickler for being on time. I always allow too much time to get to appointments or meet ups with friends and then I hide round the corner for 10 or 15 minutes because I think being too early is as bad as being too late so I must have some time issue. I wonder if the nuns did it to me? They were strict about timekeeping, well they were strict about everything and I know I've never been able to chew gum because if they caught you doing it they would give you a wallop. Not that chewing gum has been a particular issue in my life but it illustrates how these thing can affect us years later.

I used to work with a psychiatrist, I should have asked her opinion.
    Eandjsmum if it is a waist/tummy issue I can highly recommend a hulahoop, sorted my post 4 x 10lb babies plus a C Section tummy out and it is fun. Well my GC think it's fun, they kill themselves laughing but have to admit I'm much better at it than they are.
  • mamanmaman Forumite
    22.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think footwear is definitely a factor. I make a point of replacing slippers or indoor shoes regularly. Shuffling round in tatty slippers makes me feel like a bag lady. :rotfl:

OMG!:eek: Thank goodness this isn't face time or you'd be able to see my tatty slippers!:o They're an absolute disgrace. I've looked idly at replacing them but nothing's immediately taken my fancy but now I'm on a mission to find something.:D

I think they key thing about being comfortable at home has to be the trousers. I think that's why I like my leggings so much and there are really nice, soft joggers around now too. I'd earmarked a couple of jumpers for the winter too but most of the time it's not been cold enough this year so the long sleeved cotton tops have been enough.

I'm always amazed at how much leather watch straps cost humpty. DH seems to be forever replacing his. My current watch has a stainless steel expanding strap so that seems more hardwearing. Like you I wear mine 24/7. I find it really odd these days when youngsters take out their phone to tell the time. :)

We've had a lovely afternoon out (again:o). We met friends for lunch at an Italian then to the theatre. It was a Tom Stoppard comedy which was amusing in parts although not my favourite.

Home now for a relaxing evening.:)
  • humptydumptybitshumptydumptybits Forumite
    3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maman just had a conversation with GS about getting a detention for messing with his phone in a lesson. His excuse, "I was just checking the time."

I said we'd get him a cheap watch for school, he looked at me like I was an alien. Telling the time with a watch? How old fashioned is that.

My husband said I should get a stainless steel expanding strap, maybe I should try it next time. As I was saying to GS I've had a watch with a leather strap on my left wrist for nearly 60 years and I'd feel naked without it.
  • silvasavasilvasava Forumite
    4.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Humpty - I'm another one who wears a watch 24/7. Over 10 years ago I got DH to buy me a citizen watch that didn't need a battery. It was in an Argos new year sale so about £60 and I've worn it continually - including snorkelling and swimming. Still going strong and perfectly. The strap is silver& gold coloured and shows no sign of wear - very happy with it.
    I also hate tatty slippers - my mum would have called them slovenly! I'm always nipping out to the bins or the washing line so prefer something with a hard sole & bought some moccasin type lightweight leather shoes in Aldi - perfect for me. My 'house' clothes are usually downgraded jeans and T-shirt & if I'm a bit cold a fleece, I do colour coordinate though lol. I just look clean and tidy and it doesn't matter if I decide to do a dirty job ;)
    Saw some retinol cream recommended in GH so will try to find out stockist and maybe give it a try.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a few of us like our watches 24/7.

Silvasava, I have a confession, I hate slippers fullstop. I am always barefoot in the house, as a child my mother used to go mad as she said people would think I was a tinker. I have a "hospital" pair of slippers which I bought when I was going into hospital a few years ago and I keep them in case I ever need them. Hopefully they will go unneeded.

I think your moccasins sound like a good idea, I always think slippers are very "old ladyish" (I suppose that is my slipper prejudice showing) but I think the moccasins would look good and I always have to put shoes on for the bin and the washing line so they would be easy to slip on. Maman maybe moccasins are the way forward?
  • eandjsmumeandjsmum Forumite
    465 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Humpty , I'm up for hula hoop although I think that I'll also look into tummy crunches too . Retail therapy is finished the new door mats look much better. I also got some brand new place mats in a cs so pleased with that.
    I also looked into a few clothes shops although nothing brought and jo visits to coffee shops so no cakes eaten either.
    Also we had our main meal at 3 ish meaning we both had a light breakfast and one big meal ,the evening meal was not needed.
    I've just finished the curtains and thought about sewing something else ,maybe for me. I've made little tops and dresses for myself and dd( when she was a tot) in the past and I have some hanging in the wardrobe. Some unworn ,so tonight I've had a trying on session ,I've got into 5 out of the 6 the last one was too tight across the back . I was most pleased to get into a 1940s number with a fitted waist it looked fab (although not with the Jean's I was wearing at the time):T
    So onwards and upwards.
    Ps wear slippers but buy mine from a M&S outlet.
    Pps I haven't worn a watch in ages but ds who would never wear a watch asked for one for Christmas. :rotfl::
    3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    eandjsmum good luck with the hulahoop but beware it can really make the muscles ache when you start and you do get lots of bending as you keep picking it up until you get into the swing of it.

Funny you should say about the creative urge, in my case it is crochet not sewing. I'm going to make a cosy wrap for DD to wear if it gets chilly in the evening after her wedding. Her venue has a lovely outdoor area but I thought it would be nice to have something for her to wrap up in so I've bought some lovely soft wool with just a subtle fleck of glitter in it and I'm going to crochet a wrap, the main part will be fairly plain, maybe some sprays but with a very fancy lacy border. I've got to do some square to work out a pattern. I've got to think about size as well, I don't want anything skimpy so I'm thinking maybe something like 30 inches wide and 60 inches long. I will give it to her on the day but saying that I've probably ensured a heatwave and it won't be needed. Oh well it's the thought that counts.
    3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is anyone up for doing a round up of things we've found that really work or are really good value or both? To start it off my finds of 2018 were:

1. This little gadget I got from Amazon called an epistick, sorry the link won't work but it is easy to find. Now I'm not a very hairy person but I do have a tendency to a bit of blonde fuzz on the upper lip and this little gadget is great. It works like threading but is easy to use i.e. no skill required, and at 50p it is definitely cheap. Doesn't leave you with that shaved look or danger of stubbly growth.

2. Flax seed oil for my skin, making it look well nourished and cheap compared to fancy serums.

Anyone got finds to share?

My nails keep breaking so any tips on nail strengtheners would be good. I've tried some paint on stuff I got from boots but it made matters worse not better.