Frump to Fab 2019 - Here We Go Again

Options

Comments

• maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,987 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good day ladies, wet and slightly windy here, worse due later I gather.

I have gone down with a cold virus, so been rather lazy a lot of the time with hot drinks, reading, looking at recipes and cook books and a little knitting. Not at all fabbed, but have managed light make up, perfume and lippie on the occasions that I have left the house,:D

I needed to have my hearing aid services yesterday, OH was using the car (taking a relative of my to have line fitted ready for chemo this week) I caught a bus in one direction and walked back, that plus 2 dog walks yesterday meant that I walked 3.3 miles, a bit of a record for me recently so really happy with that, even better no significant pain today.

Maman - sending happy birthday wishes in your direction, have a great day.
    Well done to all with the weight loss, I remember it can take a while to get into a better pattern of eating, diversionary tactics used to be needed by me to avoid evening nibbling, especially when others did not have to do without their treats:(
    Luxurywoman - another day nearer to your new smile, great that you are loving your new hair style too.
    LL- are you able to schedule some resistant/cellular carbs into your meal plans from time to time to help vary things? (As favoured by Michael Mosley and Dr Chattergee).

Lunch today is HM chicken and vegetable broth and HM fish pie ready meal from the freezer, everything needs to have a great deal of flavour ATM.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • LuxuryWoman
    LuxuryWoman Posts: 156 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A very happy birthday to maman!

Two more days and I’ll be battered, bruised, sore but hopefully thrilled.

I have lots and lots of lovely coupons, points and vouchers. I fancy a nice robe to waft about the house in glamorously! With points I got some heavy duty foot cream, my feet are disgusting, truly!

I think I’ll save my points for something I really love, I’ll keep an eye out for summer clothes although the weather today makes that seem a long way off.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi Maddie.....yes I have started experimenting with resistant carbs.....mainly beans, lentils, seeds etc. I have introduced them slowly, so far no problems. I have been told to avoid soya.

I made my first ever butter bean mash the other day, it was lovely. Giving up potatoes was quite hard so I have been experimenting with different kinds of vegetable mash, so far butter bean is my favourite. I love parsnip mash too, especially combined with apple. Yum. :D. I shall try celeriac next.

I now get most of my carbs from vegetables and fruit, eating approx 10 portions a day, about 7 of veg or salad and no more than 3 of fruit. I try to avoid too much tropical fruit because of the high sugar content. So I do get plenty of fibre.....constipation has never been an issue :rotfl:

Sorry if that's TMI but when my IBS was bad it was diarrhoea that was my problem. It could be very severe, I would visit the loo 7 or 8 times a day. You would think I would be as thin as a rake but no.:rotfl: I do think I was probably malnourished though and lacking certain vitamins and minerals. I do know that since overhauling my diet I feel so much better, no more agonising stomach pain and fewer trips to the loo.

I can now allow myself the odd piece of bread or slice of cake or eveb an occasional bowl of pasta without suffering too many side effects but pizza is still a definite no no. I do miss macaroni cheese though. :rotfl: that really is a once in a blue moon treat now.

I have also been experimenting with more vegetarian and vegan meals.......I am an omnivore but am perfectly happy to go meat and fish free two or three days a week.

I know my way of eating might sound horribly restrictive but it isn't really. There is still plenty I can eat, all meat, fish, vegetables, fruit, eggs, some dairy but not too much. Proper restaurants are easy, it's the cafes that are the problem.....so many are sandwich and cake based meals or jacket potatoes which of course are out too.

I have found the benefits and the improvements to my health far outweigh being able to eat a carb heavy diet. It is a little more expensive (wheat is probably one of the cheapest foodstuffs) and it took a bit of time to get my head round it all but it's second nature now.

I love cooking and I have become quite adept at adapting recipes. I have found that it's good to have lots of herbs and spices to ring the changes so that food doesn't become bland and monotonous.

And now thanks to joining WW it looks like I'm going to finally be able to tackle my weight issues and get my blood sugars under control. I was doing ok ish by myself but I realise I was making a few mistakes and sabotaging both my weight loss and my blood sugars.

I think I've finally cracked it. :D

Anyway hope you feel better soon, stay warm and cosy.

I have been out and about but have done now for the day. Time to hygge. Sofa, book, film, healthy eats.

Tomorrow I'm going to have an at home day and do some batch cooking.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    A very happy birthday to maman!

Two more days and I’ll be battered, bruised, sore but hopefully thrilled.

I have lots and lots of lovely coupons, points and vouchers. I fancy a nice robe to waft about the house in glamorously! With points I got some heavy duty foot cream, my feet are disgusting, truly!

I think I’ll save my points for something I really love, I’ll keep an eye out for summer clothes although the weather today makes that seem a long way off.

Ooh how exciting.

Treat yourself to something nice, you've earned it. Dental treatments can be gruelling, so reward yourself.

I have decided to give myself a little reward every time I lose half a stone .....and then maybe something really nice when I reach my goal.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    No weight loss off for me this week, but I'm not too disheartened as my work trousers which used to pinch, now have plenty of room around the waist so I know I am still on the right track.

I am going to the gym tonight to do anything that I can that won't hurt my toe - but I do miss my little 30 minute walks after getting home from work to top-up my exercise. Although - I can't say I'd have gone out in this weather anyway!

Sounds like everyone is doing really well :)

Happy birthday maman :D x
  • humptydumptybits
    Options
    my feet are disgusting, truly!

I think we all have something we hate about ourselves, I hate my neck, my sister hates her hair, my friend hates her double chin. I wonder if you feet became beautiful and my neck became swanlike what we would start hating? I think it might be my freckles, they've never bothered me but lately they seem paler and bigger but generally I think by the time you get past 60 cute isn't a look you should go for. At least my scraggy is distracting me :p
  • sheilavw
    sheilavw Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    just catching up on posts. Happy Birthday Maman x
  • podperson
    podperson Posts: 3,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi all,

Hope all your fabbing is going well! Weight loss has slightly ground to a halt for me but know I could have been stricter this week and at least I haven't put anything back on! Need to get my butt back in gear on the exercise front but have just felt tired and unmotivated. Don't think the weather is helping, got caught in the rain a few times today.

Was a fairly productive weekend at least. Have started on the Great Clear Out :rotfl::rotfl:Starting with clothes Marie Kondo style (they must spark joy!) so have got through all the drawers at least. It's nice to have them all organised and be able to actually see what I have. Need to tackle the wardrobes this weekend though and that's going to be a bit of a nightmare :o It will be worth it when it's finished but the half-way done, mess everywhere stage is not fun.
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    pod amazing work on your wardrobe clearout. One of the advantages of clearing out out the old is..... to make way for the new.

SSD I hope you have a productive work out.

Lessons thanks for your healthy eating ideas, great for inspiration.

Maman happy birthday. Hope you had a lovely day.
  • savingfortomorrow
    Options
    LessonsLearned- did you see the reciepe for the bean mash in the guardian too. I made it on saturday with mixed vegetables and tofu.

I have been trying to reduce my carbohydrate intake. I would often eat all the pasta and rice and ... and... I love food but sometimes you need to really listen to what you need not impulsive choices. Having some rules allows you to stop, consider do I have a healthier choice or do I really realy want to eat something less than ideal today. Hopefully it might stop my mindless eating and become a bit more mindful.

I completely cut out carbohydrates before and it was hard, if I reduce to more complex and fill up with non starchy vegetables. Hopefully I will loose some weight.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure