PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2019 - A Clutter Free Life

Options

Comments

• Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    1. SMALL TASKS WILL BE DONE ASAP
    2. I WILL LEAVE A ROOM TIDIER THAN WHEN I ENTERED
    3. KITCHEN WILL BE LEFT CLEAN & TIDY EVERY NIGHT
    4. WHEN DEALING WITH CLUTTER I WILL USE ‘Daisy1571’s idea of ‘WHAT WOULD I DO WITH THIS ITEM IF IT WAS SOMEONE ELSE’S ?’
    5. IF I WAS STARTING FROM SCRATCH, WOULD I BUY THIS?
    6. BE LIKE A POSTAGE STAMP - STICK TO ONE THING UNTIL YOU GET THERE

Friday was the start of the rainy weather :(. Shame really as it was DSis’s birthday but did manage to spoil her ;) My DH had arranged for flowers to be delivered & a massive surprise DB also sent a basket of flowers :eek: It took DSis some time to recover from the shock :shocked: Only 3 birthday cards but I enclosed some scratch cards & 2 of them were winners - £12 in total :T I also pleasantly surprised her by giving her an Easter Egg :rotfl: specifically saved :rotfl:
    I did an sm shop in between the rain showers - cheated & picked up a lemon cheesecake :rotfl:
    I cooked a special birthday dinner - pork medallions in a mushroom Marsala sauce with boiled potatoes & rtc carrots - a favourite of hers & who doesn’t like being told it is “restaurant quality”
    The lo boiled potatoes were sliced & saut!ed for Saturday’s dinner with bacon, baked tomatoes & baked mushrooms together with mushrooms in cream & 3 lo sausages chopped into pieces & heated up in chopped tomatoes + DH had a couple of fried eggs. Absolutely delicious 🤤
    The rest of the time has been spent knitting & clearing down my planner :p + found the Christmas cards which I will start when we get back - I send about 45 :eek:
    Today DH & I will be packing for our trip to Prague :j

DSis has mostly been in her room watching various series on N*tfl*x ;)
    DH has been staying up all night to watch the motorcycle racing in Malaysia ;) hence the not getting up until 2 p.m. :eek:

3997 - 4017 Uu mouthwash bottle, 2 cardboard boxes, 0.5” paperwork, 3 plastic trays, plastic bottle, plastic wash ball, 4 drinks cans, 2 glass bottles & metal caps, 2 newspapers, food can,
    2 magazines, uu detergent bottle, - Recycled
    4018 - 4024 Two Bags of kitchen detritus, plastic pot, 4 lots of plastic packaging - Binned

Well done villagelife :T still keeping up the decluttering momentum :T

Excellent work TC77 : You are racing to 500 :D so you must be noticing a difference?

Welcome back Picklepot : Doesn’t really matter if you post daily, weekly, monthly or bi-annually :rotfl: you are still aboard the 2019 Decluttering Bandwagon :rotfl: & I hope most, if not all of us will be aboard the 2020 Decluttering Bandwagon ;) The big decluttering gives an almost instant
    boost, but it is the maintenance decluttering that gives me the best feeling. Just a shame I have stalled & that the clutter is creeping back in :o even before I have decluttered properly :( A lot of my clutter is now hidden or neatly stacked in rooms I don’t enter frequently :o To get you in the mood for your own decluttering Picklepot, I am awarding you a Gold Star ⭐️ for taking in a Family member currently down on their luck.

Have a Gold Star ⭐️ IrishRose12 :T You have been very busy not only decluttering but also cleaning :T One of the huge benefits of decluttering is being able to clean more quickly :)
    Thanks for the fridge temperature information - does ‘lowest setting’ mean ‘coldest setting’? I like you have googled, read the manual & am still not au fair with how it works :( Why they can’t mark with actual temperatures I do not know :wall:

whmf00001, Sounds like you are decluttering your fridge & cupboard contents to fill your freezer. Also you are decluttering future stress by planning ahead :T Hope the op goes well & that you are fighting fit for 2020 ;)

Keep up the good work Rootle :T

The only decluttering I will be doing over the next week is money :eek but I will keep up with the cheerleading whilst I am away ;)

Hopefully when I return I will be invigorated & knuckle down to some proper decluttering ;)

MrsSD
    4024/4038
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • short_bird
    short_bird Posts: 3,696 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    540-543: 4x collectable 50p's to a friend
    544-546: Xmas presents and card to same friend due to stupid working patterns rather than efficiency :D

TC77 I can testify how much easier life is when you can actually find important items. An American website has the idea of a "landing strip" where you put all the obvious stuff you need the next morning like bus pass, work keys, daily meds, things to post etc and that works really well for me. Phone charger is plugged in next to that area.
    Also, since I'm one of those people that wears a lot of black, having stuff hanging up or in the appropriate drawer takes a lot of pressure off days when you need a fast turnaround. Rather than digging round in a stygian amorphous mass of fabric, it's all just there! To Hand!! :rotfl:
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
  • Chocolatedrinker
    Options
    3052 - totally worn out belt to ragging
    3053 - magazine recycled
    3054 - 3060, socks and dress to CS
    3061 - Body scrub uu and pot recycled
    3062 - keys posted for OH
    3063 - cheque paid in for OH
    Declutter 2024 in 2024 /2024 SPC = 13 £45.32 (2023) £64.89 (2022) £95.67 (2021) £305.16 (2020)Loan paid off! Credit card paid off!!! Debt paid off, debt free date 28/12/2020
  • Happy_Kitties
    Options
    *487 mahoosive bag of plastic wrapping-tesc@ recycling point
    *488 small padlock found -recycling.

Limping to that 500 mark!
    Decluttering challenge 2023🏅⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 
    Decluttering challenge 2024 🏅⭐️
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Mrs_Salad_Dodger Posts: 4,933 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 4 November 2019 at 5:22AM
    Options
    1. SMALL TASKS WILL BE DONE ASAP
    2. I WILL LEAVE A ROOM TIDIER THAN WHEN I ENTERED
    3. KITCHEN WILL BE LEFT CLEAN & TIDY EVERY NIGHT
    4. WHEN DEALING WITH CLUTTER I WILL USE ‘Daisy1571’s idea of ‘WHAT WOULD I DO WITH THIS ITEM IF IT WAS SOMEONE ELSE’S ?’
    5. IF I WAS STARTING FROM SCRATCH, WOULD I BUY THIS?
    6. BE LIKE A POSTAGE STAMP - STICK TO ONE THING UNTIL YOU GET THERE

Sunday has been dark & miserable with some rain. DH went to sm - small shop & to get my birthday card. He did a me - forgot to pick up the envelope :rotfl:
    I have almost finished knitting the fan & feather stitch scarf in lilac with peppermint trim :rotfl:
    DH went up into the loft to retrieve the hand luggage case & finally put away the empty crates :rotfl: We are mostly packed, DH has the boarding passes on his phone & the cab has been booked.
    Dinner was roast pork, roast potatoes, carrots & green beans with DH making the gravy. Very tasty it was too. Especially the roasties which were perfect :p

We will both bathe before bed ;) especially as we are getting bad at getting up - I blame it on the clocks being put back :p :rotfl:

4025 - 4028 Two drinks cans, glass bottle & metal cap, uu mini bath gel - Recycled
    4029 Bag of kitchen detritus - Binned

short_bird thanks for the excellent ideas :T You are moving steadily to 600 ;)

Good numbers Chocolatedrinker :T Almost 3100 :D

Happy Kitties - better to be limping along than stopped :rotfl: My prediction is 500 by the end of November :rotfl:

Keep up the good work everyone :T

MrsSD
    4029/4038
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • Happy_Kitties
    Happy_Kitties Posts: 1,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 5 November 2019 at 11:42PM
    Options
    *489 bag of rags into the bin after the cat had an accident

*490 magazine into the bin after it suffered the same fate as the above!

*491 Halloween make up that DD had used and hated-part recycling, part bin.

500 here I come!!!!!!!! :)
    Decluttering challenge 2023🏅⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 
    Decluttering challenge 2024 🏅⭐️
  • TC77
    TC77 Posts: 1,807 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    thanks for encouragement from people , short_bird and others.
    I do notice some difference but have been doing fly lady on and off for years, and try the landing strip. I also get less stressed when losing things as know they will turn up.

It has made cleaning easier or more time for it so fridge last weekend. This weekend extension which had suitcase, clothes and make up from DD1 from trip to boyfriend, assorted balls ( cricket/ tennis/ table tennis) all now corralled and rubbish thrown out, swept, and washing away - took well over an hour!
    490 -494 2 groups of rubbish bined, bouncy balls to CS
    495 paper declutter
    496 electronic declutter
    497- 499 important emails sent and the nagging in my head emptied
    500 garden rubbish binned
    501 Jamie Oliver book in charity bag
    502 electronic chess game ( DD2 but i managed to persuade so counting it)

Sorted lots of socks - some for recycling and some to make a draught excluder but will count when out of the house /or made.

Still aiming for 1000 by the year end so will update when I can.

Great seeing other people's journeys.!
  • short_bird
    short_bird Posts: 3,696 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    547: glitter glue binned
    548-551: bits from the fridge (downshifting and trying different brands, not entirely successfully)
    552-556: 3 jigsaws, a DVD and book to the charity shop pile
    557: email purge.
    558: non stick frying pan that sticks :rotfl:
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
  • Picklepot
    Picklepot Posts: 360 Forumite
    edited 5 November 2019 at 11:13AM
    Options
    Thank you Mrs SD for my gold star :j well chuffed. You're right doesnt matter how often i post , i just need to get the momentum back.
    Am currently looking at my house overwhelmed, i have no idea where to start?
    TC77 asked people to post how decluttering has affected their lives

I shall try and add to my posts how it has helped me, if it helps others thats good too.

If it had not been for decluttering..
    I would not have been able to offer a spare room to relative needing support
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I have another bag of clothes for the chazzer. I have been losing weight again and a few things are too big for me now.

I'm not going to buy anything that goes on my bottom half as that is where always I lose weight first and I keep having to get rid of clothes.:rotfl:

I chucked away an old chopping board as it had started looking manky. I got a new bamboo one instead.

I have used up all the samples of shampoo and conditioner I had knocking around.

I have used up quite a lot of toiletries lately. I still have loads, though!

Bottles and jars to recycling. All bins emptied too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure