PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2019 - A Clutter Free Life

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Someone posted on local Freegle site they wanted a cd player for father going in hospital, well, I have given them a radio/tape/cd player plus a box of assorted tape stories/BBC tapes and I am going to d/l some free story CD's to include as well as found out a special cd bag with 2 zipper sides to keep them safe. I am so pleased as the radio is in very good condition. Have also remembered I have a radio cassette player (no cd). Thought dgs would like but no ! its Spoti-thing etc these days.
    Seeds are sprouting, used toilet roll inners as plant pots for some and egg boxes too, they will rot when I put in soil. Also obtained a free pot from SM, the ones that they sell flowers in, asked what they did with them and CS said that they usually went back, I said I had heard that they were thrown away and she said that they used them for rubbish bins and take one if I wanted one, well YES. Will use my drill to make holes in the bottom and will plant some of my seedlings in it. Result.
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Another bag of too big clothes collected for the charity shop tomorrow.

It's like a revolving door in that charity shop, I buy some clothes and then drop them off again there in a few weeks.:rotfl:
  • savvy
    savvy Posts: 31,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Thanks Savvy for that laugh. Your post nearly made me spill my tea all over my laptop :rotfl:.
    LOL no problem nanny and Mrs SD, I aim to please with my weird and random life!! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Also, last night I tidied DS teenagers room of doom and came out with one bag of recycling stuff and half bin bag of sweet wrappers, crisp packets etc.
    Arrggg I remember those days lol, I used to shut the door on it all in the end!
    GreenQueen wrote: »
    That sounds lovely, savvy. My wedding bouquet was pressed (sent away and done professionally), and we had them framed roughly in the shape of the bouquet - that still has pride of place on our wall next to our wedding photo. Also had two crystal jewelry pots with a few of the smaller flowers inlaid in the lid, one for each of our mums.

Greenery is definitely decluttering!
    Oh wow that all sounds amazing, especially those pots too. Lol it's whether or not I can stand to keep for that long AND remember that I did it for them :rotfl::rotfl:At the minute the roses look awesome in vases on my table ;)
    Old bills recycled! 168/2019
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • Cheapskate
    Cheapskate Posts: 1,757 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Afternoon everyone, thanks for the welcome back! :)

Yesterday DH de-cluttered 8 bin bags of garden rubbish to the tip, that have been lurking for a week, plus some branches cut off an overhanging apple tree, so now we're up to 183/2019 things gone.

Tonight/tomorrow I'm doing the back bedroom where the littlies sleep, and over the course of the week the 2 ancient, rickety wardrobes will have their contents drastically condensed into a couple of boxes, and then the wardrobes themselves will go to the tip at the weekend! There are things in the bottom drawers that have been there at least since youngest DS was born, and he's nearly 12!! :eek: Bet we get up to about 300 things gone this week...:rotfl:

This morning I went to yoga and had my first counselling session, so managed to de-clutter a bit of stress/MH stuff, feel almost human this aft! :D

A xo
    Jan 2021 GC £11.70/£300
    2021 mission declutter& clean 53/2021
    Jan NSD 7/31
  • bit_by_bit
    bit_by_bit Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Busy on here, must be spring in the air :T

Thanks for your positive comments Mrs SD. I have just read back the last two or three pages and notice that you are very busy getting rid of all that clutter. :A

I myself have taken another bag of clothes and a repaired toy to the CS this weekend. I have another pile of clothes and things on the go for next weeks CS visit.

I did bring some Christmas mugs home from Sunday's session at the CS. They cannot keep them there as there is no space. I felt sad for the lady who had a Christmas tree to donate but I had to decline to take it. Such a shame. I can only take so much home to store.:(
    Wife, mother, gardener, nurse, Big C survivor. Officially retired at 55 2021 [/b][/b].Mortgage free April 2021Challenges 2024: Decluttering Campaign 32/100 bags plus 0 large items. Make £2024 in 2024#8 £0/£2024 Using my craft stash 0/52 Reading books 0/52 Donations for the CS/washing done from others (in and outs) in 2024 x 10 bags and 0 large items.
  • Ginmonster
    Ginmonster Posts: 617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Last week I filled a charity bag but put it out too late in the morning and it wasn't collected. Well the same charity dropped another bag off at the weekend and I filled that too and got both bags on the doorstep in good time this morning. Result: 2 bags of clothes gone!

I won't get too much done over the next few days as I'll be mostly tidying to get ready for a party we're having at weekend where some of our guests will be staying over. The good news is that we're hoping that the family staying over will be able to take a toddler bed and/or a car seat back with them that our son has outgrown but will be just right for their daughter. Otherwise week have to wait until we next go to visit them to get rid of it all. Fingers crossed!
  • daisy_1571
    daisy_1571 Posts: 1,253 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Roxie, I fully agree with Daisy - keep plugging away & with any luck other family members will join in spontaneously. One little tip I would offer is that when your dining room is decluttered, advise your family that anything they ‘dump’ in there will be binned :rotfl: Sounds harsh, but it will protect your sanity :rotfl: Your family will realise you are serious about decluttering & it might give them a not so gentle nudge to be tidier. You have made an excellent start with the storage boxes & the back door tidy :T

Excellent advice Daisy :T

MrsSD
    1170/2019

Thanks Mrs sd but right back ach'ya! That is great advice there to show serious intent to keep a space from getting recluttered. :T:T

Daisy xx
    2022: 3🏅 4⭐ 2023: 5🎖🏅🏅 🎖🏅6 ⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion. Take hold of every moment - anon I'm a clutterbug butterfly 🦋 The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If you aren't already using something in your home, you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,182 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning everyone

Ive been off the thread tonight for a week or two while DS has been off school. He went back this morning, unhappily, so I need to get back to decluttering. I have two appointments today so plan to do a bit tonight and will be back at work tomorrow morning. So perhaps a bit tomorrow afternoon and evening.

I have another exploratory surgery on Friday so will be slowing down again.

All your posts are keeping me eager to get going again properly so thank you.

Lovely to see you back. I was starting to get worried and thinking about asking around to see whether anyone had heard from you.
  • little_pup
    Options
    Hi all,

I’m helping my mum do a big declutter and clear out as she needs to sell her house due to a divorce. She has accumulated A LOT of clutter over the last 25 years (won’t throw anything out in case it has a use in the future / because she paid £X for it). It’s become overwhelming for her and she said she’s ready to say goodbye to the clutter and have a fresh start in a smaller house.

It’s a big house and there’s a lot of stuff which needs to go. Excess furniture, clothes, bedding and curtains, books, an upright piano (no one in the family plays!), loads of kitchenware, boxes of old papers and random stuff which haven’t been opened since the last move years ago and no one knows what’s in there! There’s so much stuff you essentially have to shuffle around boxes and furniture to move around despite it being such a big house.

I’ve allocated a weekend to go home and help sort out the house, what is the best way to do a mass declutter? It’s a fairly rural area but will furniture charities collect items which are in good condition?

I’m thinking of hiring a skip, it’s expensive (about £400 including the road permit) but potentially the most time and cost effective way. I’m quite keen on giving to charities and recycling but I only have 3 days to try to do as much as possible. I’ve also seen vans advertising house clearances saying cheaper than a skip and they recycle where possible but when I’ve googled this it seems like it’s for whole house clearances not decluttering.

I’m going on the bank holiday at the end of May so I’ve got time to plan for it :) thanks in advance!
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    1. SMALL TASKS WILL BE DONE ASAP
    2. I WILL LEAVE A ROOM TIDIER THAN WHEN I ENTERED
    3. KITCHEN WILL BE LEFT CLEAN & TIDY EVERY NIGHT
    4. WHEN DEALING WITH CLUTTER I WILL USE ‘Daisy1571’s idea of ‘WHAT WOULD I DO WITH THIS ITEM IF IT WAS SOMEONE ELSE’S ?’
    5. IF I WAS STARTING FROM SCRATCH, WOULD I BUY THIS?
    6. BE LIKE A POSTAGE STAMP - STICK TO ONE THING UNTIL YOU GET THERE

Peculiar weather today - very dark clouds & chilly this morning but no rain - then got warmer with the sun trying to burn off the clouds with limited success & now the temperature has plunged :( DH has put the first two shelves in the Understairs cupboard & has started sorting out a coat rail. Probably 2 more full width shelves & a smaller one to make full use of the space :T He is currently tidying up after himself. Not sure if DSis did anything much today but I took 2 bags to CS. On the walk past the docks I met 2 ladies who were fishing out Plastic & we had a nice chat. The Egyptian Geese were there with a solitary gosling - very cute :D Apparently they had hatched 2, but one died in the stormy weather a couple of nights ago :( The nesting coots have at least 3 eggs, but not sure about the crested grebes. Arrived at the CS clothes store & guess what - it was closed - yah boo sucks :( However the CS was open & June took the clothes & bags & leather jackets. She was as pleased as punch that I had washed everything & advised that the lady who runs the clothing CS would be really happy with my donations :j
    Then off to the sm & had a nice chat with the checkout lady :) She was rather surprised by the amount of old fashioned sweeties that I had bought :shocked: However DH & I are off to France for the weekend with 20+ other bikers & each year I take a supply of sherbert fountains, drum stick lollies, black jacks etc etc etc :rotfl: Might have gone a bit overboard on the amounts, but los will be kept for Halloween :p
    When I got home all the shopping was put away, meat portioned for freezer. Bacon sandwiches all round & now cooking dinner - chicken strips fried in butter, boiled potatoes & mixed vegetables.

1331 - 1347 Empty beer can, 2 drinks cans, 2 newspapers, 10 booklets/pamphlets/brochures, 0.5” paperwork, empty egg box - Recycled
    1348 - 1349 Large handful of non recyclable packaging, loft board offcuts - Binned

Well Done - villagelife; A Frayed Knot - Do you know anyone with a car who could deliver the non furniture items whilst you are working?; GreenQueen - lists are your friends :rotfl: which reminds me I need to update my lists ;); whmf00001 - What a generous thing to do :T; Wednesday2000 - I hope the weight loss is intended :); savvy; Cheapskate - excellent work on the garden rubbish & decluttering stress; bit by bit, excellent decluttering but I hope you have a designated space for your CS stuff ;) & thanks for the praise :T; Ginmonster - Well Done on the decluttering & fingers crossed 🤞 re the potential decluttering. Hope you have a lovely party 🥳; Well Done to all of you :T:T

parsniphead, good luck for Friday & lovely to read that you are champing at the bit to do some serious decluttering :D

We make a good cheerleading team Daisy 1571 :D

See you tomorrow my fellow declutterers :D

MrsSD
    1349/2019
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £166.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £50.00; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure