PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2019 - A Clutter Free Life

Options

Comments

• Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Barny1979 wrote: »
    34. Carpet cut up and taken to recycling centre
    35. Underlay cut up and taken to recycling centre
    36. Wooden shelf taken to recycling centre
    37. Piece of metal to recycling centre
    38. Old mop to recycling centre
    39. Old clothes line to recycling centre

40-46. 7 bags of wallpaper to the tip
    47-49. Pair of shoes and ornaments to charity
    50-52. Two pairs of curtains and nets to tip
  • Tfoz
    Tfoz Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    I’ve been a bit MIA on the decluttering recently. I started on the understairs cupboard, but there’s heavy things and spiders in there so need a bit of assistance. Did remove my car box (jump leads, ice scraper etc) that had been hidden in there after I crashed. Have had a new car for 3 months now so why was it still in the house?!

Also found half a tin of paint that I want for upstairs. We currently have a green and pink bathroom, it’s a really treat for the eyes. I want to get it all redone but until we can afford that a lick of paint will do!
  • Love it when you praise me, do not get much of that these days, thank you.Made 3 portions soup yesterday, 1 for lunch today, 3 portions ish veg curry, 1 for dinner tonight with last of frozen chips, other for freezer so 3 lots of veggies used up. Bought new skirt so am now collecting new blouse to hopefully go with it, got rid of quite a few clothes a week of so ago and they were donkeys years old as are my wearing ones. DD and family are going on hols at 1/2 term (does that count as de-clutter??) then dgs will stay on Sat night so that may well be a pizza going. Soup Maker blew my kitchen fuses again and I was careful not to over fill etc so that is going now, been threatened for a couple of months. Will start shredding next week, bottle of vanilla extract finished off in sc rice pud (also rice of course) will have some tonight and the rest over a few days - diet, what diet?
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 17 February 2019 at 4:50PM
    Options
    I am absolutely exhausted so have taken a weekend 'staycation' from decluttering. :o As Mrs SD said in her lovely welcome message to me
    ... However, please let me sound a note of caution!!- remember it has taken seven years for your home to get into a state that you are not happy with!! please do not make yourself ill by trying to declutter, clean, repair & tidy in seven weeks or seven months!! We are here to support & encourage - rather nice to be a happy & healthy declutterer ...

Sundays (fewer buses) always used to be when my city centre flat got aired through and/ or the windows were cleaned. For the first time in several years my windowless 'hall of shame' is being thoroughly aired, via the newly cleared 'room of doom'. :j And all but one of my windows are already clean. :T

Maybe not a healthy declutterbug but a happy one today!
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • phoebe1989seb
    Options
    I didn't get as much done this week as I'd hoped as the Spring-like weather meant more work done out of doors (paint stripping, laying the first of many new gravel paths :D), but still managed the following -

2 x flagpole holders (no, we're not in chavsville, but Wales, lol!) - skip
    1 x broken security light - skip
    1 x moth-eaten taxidermy squirrel - skip
    Large bag of clothing - ready for charity shop

Plus a few things put aside to sell (Belfast sink, set of vintage prints, William Morris cushion).

Will tackle the fabric/curtain boxes next week ;)
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • amycool
    amycool Posts: 866 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello everyone!

I've been reading the thread for a while but lost my log in so haven't been able to post.

I love reading what everyone is up to and the little pearls of wisdom for decluttering.

After 2 years of being very unwell I'm finally feeling a bit better and would like to get the house back under control! I started by making a list of areas that need attention (it was a long list) and I tick off as I go.

So far I have been through me and OH's clothes (he has hardly any) and even though I don't have loads, I got rid of 6 bags, 3 for CS, 3 for the recycling. Some really lovely dresses that I would never wear, work clothes (I don't work anymore), clothes that people bought for me so I felt guilty throwing them away etc.

From now on, the plan is only to buy good quality items when I need them. Sadly my favourite jeans (£4 from the CS in new condition!) are now too ripped to wear so I'll be on the look out.

I bought a set of drawers for clothes and I love them all folded rather than squished on hangers. Mostly I wear t-shirts and jeans so the wardrobe just has dresses, shirts and cardigans.

I very easily sent 3 bags of books to the CS (would have been more but OH loves books) as we go to the library most weeks.

Medicine cupboard has been reduced to about a quarter of the size and felt very dismayed at how many things we bought, not realising we already had some.

Pantry now looks like a shop so it's really easy to see what we have. Despite this, OH keeps buying cans (in case of Brexit problems!) but I can't see us using 15 cans of chickpeas. All carrier bags are folded and nothing is on the floor.

I'm exhausted now so might try to relax over half term and start again once DD is back at school. Having said that, I'm really enjoying doing little bits here and there. I hadn't planned to start the kitchen yet but did get rid of loads of tupperwares and tins, and tea towels (20 of them!!) are now tidily rolled in a shoe box and used on rotation. Will hopefully make it easier when I get there.

The one annoying thing is that I don't drive and don't live near a CS or recycling centre so I have to rely on OH at the weekends. We'll get there eventually though!

This is a too long post so I'll go now! :)
    Mortgage (Start Sep 2014)- £70,295/£0 - 100%
    Overpayments - £48829.37 :j:j:j
    Mortgage paid off Jan 2020
  • pixielottie
    Options
    pixielottie, sounds like you are back on track :D shame about the lost post :( decluttering a face mask to the boyfriend sounds cheaper & quicker than decluttering the boyfriend for a new one :rotfl: Welldone on starting on the ‘Desk of Doom’ :rotfl: Hope you had a nice evening & your decluttering batteries are now recharged :D
    Thanks Mrs SD, that really did make me :rotfl: I've promised the boyfriend I'll take him another face mask to try next week (he ended up working today :( ), so that will be more space, and it's good for my skin win win!
    The desk is looking marginally better, I mean it's not useable yet, but theres a suggestion that there is still a desk under there... haha!
    I really struggle with sentimental stuff... e.g. clothes, accessories and general crap from when I was young/thin which don't fit. HOW do you get rid of this stuff guilt-free?!!

Hello :) , this was a big issue for me! and as daft as it sounds the Marie Kondo method of thanking things helped me get rid. I've lost over 3 stone and want to lose more, and yet still things that are now too big I didn't want to let go of, and I have just put them back in the wardrobe a few times >.< . But just thinking "yes I loved wearing this, it was great, thankyou" some how worked and let me magically get rid :)
    Still working on the sentimental odds and ends I try and split things into boxes, or glass display boxes if it's displayable, I have a few little jewellery box sized ones with some weird stuff in there...a vintage toy car, a rabbit figurine whose ears broke off long ago, a shoe off my Nannys wedding cake, a polly pocket :rotfl: So it's all still here it's just all "tidier" and contained...

Hi amycool, I have a new found love of chickpeas... falafel, houmous, with some mango chutney as a salad mmmm. But the real treat is using the chickpea water to make meringues <3 I made them for the first time just over a week ago 1 can made 120 bite size meringues so good :rotfl:

Nothing much to report here it's been a very slow week, I do have 5 Etsy orders to "declutter" tomorrow morning, but I think to count those would be cheating :P

As it's half term I am home all this week, this weeks missions, clear the book case extender and get that returned to my sister, then craft shelves, so when I do the desk I have somewhere to put stuff rather than just making new piles.
    ( I am only usually "at work" (looking after my aunt and uncles dogs) two days a week but I still some how feel energised when I have a whole week. I'm self employed with 3 businesses, but that means i'm home all the time, I honestly don't know how people with proper jobs get anything done! :T )
    x
    anything's possible if you've got enough nerve
    :happyhear
    (Decluttering - 185/2019 //£'s saved - £32.41 /2019 // Lbs lost - 42/102 )
  • frizz2
    frizz2 Posts: 90 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    I have just found this post. Very inspiring!
    Thanks!
  • chupachups4
    Options
    Good evening

307-318: 12 items sold, 60 euros in the travel pot
    1st goal: 0/936 euros
    2nd goal: 0/15160 euros
  • tboo
    tboo Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    another foldable picnic blanket - CS

2 boxes of books to school

(also trying to declutter the freezer into my belly - does that count :))
    “You’re only here for a short visit.
    Don’t hurry, don't worry and be sure to smell the flowers along the way.”
    Walter Hagen

365 Day 1p Challenge for 2021 #41 ✅
    Jar £440.31/£667.95 and Bank £389.67/£667.95

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts