PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

2019 - A Clutter Free Life

Options

Comments

• ailz95
    ailz95 Posts: 380 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    We decluttered a tote bag of batteries - been collecting them for nearly 6 years. We do most of the shopping on line and rarely get to a supermarket, but we bit the bullet and went to Sains***'s in Hastings for lunch and remembered to take the batteries with us.

When we took our 12 bags & several wicker trunks/boxes to the CS yesterday they had half a dozen glass paperweights - which we collect - and these were nice ones - there was also a cardigan that I liked so we brought some stuff home with us. It was minescule compared to what we took though.
    Clutter free wannabee 2021 /52 bags to cs. /2021 'stuff' out of the place

YOU CANNOT BE ALL THE GOOD THAT THE WORLD NEEDS, BUT THE WORLD NEEDS ALL THE GOOD YOU CAN BE
    taken from Shelbizleee on YouTube - her copyright
  • keepcalmandcraft
    Options
    I've made a dogbed today with fabric from my stash and 2 single duvets that we no longer need. Also threw away 2 duvets that were well past their best. I tried to give them away to the local animal shelter but they didn't want them, so had to throw them away.
    I've sorted out our bedroom which had become a dumping ground when both DDs swapped rooms and had a clear out. It's lovely to see the carpet again!
    Stash busting challenge 2024: 3/100 £0/£50 Fashion on the ration 2024: 0/66
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    175-177) Wax burner, jewellery box & calendar all thrown away as they were manky.

178-179) Two CDs sold on ebay.

180-183) Craft supplies sold on ebay.

I thought decluttering my craft supplies would be sad, but it isn't. I have tended to dabble in lots of hobbies with the result that I have never really got good at any one of them. Whilst I have dabbled friends have gone on to really excel in one or two hobbies. I am therefore having a serious craft declutter at the moment so I have the money, energy and room to become good at something.
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    8 things sold on Ebay - when paid will post but all packed and ready to go.
    Leaving a big bag in the kitchen where I'm adding stuff for CS - had a mug declutter as I have far too many.

Any one got any theories on hoarding - I may have missed some as I read fast & can skip some posts.
  • IrishRose12
    Options
    Evening everyone:hello: hope you are all keeping well.

Still plodding along here, albeit a but less this week, had a stressful week in work so was exhausted come dinner time, which meant nothing got done really, but I've made up for it this week alone :rotfl:

I took note of one of the tips read on here and wrote down myself a list if 5 things to do for a day. I've managed to do 10 things from yesterday and today and managed to bypass that number and almost triple it!! Done things I've been putting off for ages now so I'm happy with that.

Safe to say I'll be doing that on a daily basis now in the hopes it continues, so thank you to whoever mentioned that idea on here :beer:

I'm off for mid term break this week, so the plan is to relax and de-stress aswell as carry on with my bag a day challenge that I'm still managing to keep on top of.
    I'm even hoping to get on more than once this week lol.
    Pay all debt off by Christmas 2024 £537/£3,500£1 a day challenge 2024 - £91/£730 Declutter a bag a week in 2024 6/52Lose 24lb - 3/24lbs Read 1 book per week - 5/52Pay off credit card debt 7/100%
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    choille wrote: »
    Any one got any theories on hoarding - I may have missed some as I read fast & can skip some posts.

I did take part in a study on hoarding a couple of years back. It was very interesting. It is supposed to be linked to OCD and anxiety disorders, but I think there are supposed to be quite complex reasons for it. There certainly seem to be a lot of things that trigger it. From what I have read it is supposed to be one of those most difficult compulsions to treat and has a high relapse rate. I have enjoyed some of those hoarding TV programmes where they cure the person, but I would really be interested to see how many of those people are still cured 5 years after.
  • somerandom
    Options
    somerandom wrote: »

189 - OOD business cards
    190 - dead socks

191 & 2 - 2 x gym trousers
    193 - scrabble set (cat mistook basket it was in for litter tray :eek:)
    194 - worn out trousers
    195 - top
    196 - vase
    197 - book
    198 - scarf - gift to friend
    199 - ring holders - gift to friend
    200 - resolved issue with BT - refund for £100 on it's way :D
    Shifting my energy for 2020 :heart::heart::heart:
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    1. SMALL TASKS WILL BE DONE ASAP
    2. I WILL LEAVE A ROOM TIDIER THAN WHEN I ENTERED
    3. KITCHEN WILL BE LEFT CLEAN & TIDY EVERY NIGHT
    4. WHEN DEALING WITH CLUTTER I WILL USE ‘Daisy1571’s idea of ‘WHAT WOULD I DO WITH THIS ITEM IF IT WAS SOMEONE ELSE’S ?’
    5. IF I WAS STARTING FROM SCRATCH, WOULD I BUY THIS?
    6. BE LIKE A POSTAGE STAMP - STICK TO ONE THING UNTIL YOU GET THERE

Sunday has been a glorious spring day :T Clear blue skies, big yellow ball in the sky :rotfl: actually throwing out warmth :D (forgot to say that I saw the cormorant on one of my Saturday walks :T) Sunday & my F*tb*t is happy & on one of my 15 minute walks I Not only saw the two Egyptian Geese on land, but they treated me to seeing them in flight - they are beautiful :D & I saw them swimming as well :T I think they call it a trifecta :rotfl: The crested grebes are nesting again & the raft is mostly sticks with only a small amount of plastic :T I was even happier when I saw a completely new waterbird - it was very kind to me as it was standing on the dockside walkway & I got a good look at it’s feet & it’s very distinctive beak - fast walk home & looked it up on t’internet - it was my first moorhen :D
    As the weather forecast is a bit iffy next week, my DH took the opportunity to ride out on his Goldwing to photograph previous year’s landmarks from his Round Britain Rallying.
    I had a prolonged flurry of activity today - only have 16 cubby holes left to sort :D Plus I have started on the 1st of the 2 shelves of crafting stuff in my DH’s office. I had ‘completely forgotten’ about an attempt at a felting project, I had also ‘forgotten’ about the cross stitch kit & I ‘completely forgot ‘ I had a period attempting to make snow globes :eek: So lots of stuff into the CS bag

274 - 279 Boxes & bags from packaging supplies to pack the following :-
    280 - 309 Pots & tubes of glitter, glues, glycerine, sealants etc for making snow globes
    310 Felting kit
    311 Card for crafting
    312 Cross stitch kit minus the embroidery cottons
    313 - 316 Four pairs of sewing scissors
    317 - 318 Two large pieces of fabric
    319 Tube of ruined popsocks to be used as stuffing
    320 - 330 Four ribbons, bow, 3 decorative laces, 3 lengths of elastic
    331 - 332 Two knitting patterns

Plus
    333 - 334 Plastic bin full of rubbish from DH’s office - binned
    335 Bag of recycling from DH’s office
    336 Small bag of rubbish from sorting out yet another sewing tin - binned
    337 - 339 Plastic takeaway box & 2 lids - binned

I also found a crochet kit with DVD (gift from my friend) - I will have one last attempt at trying to learn to crochet - if I fail, I will donate to CS
    And I found a shoulder bag I had knitted in a feather & fan stitch - all it needs is a few poppers to make it safe to use. Once I have done this I will donate to CS along with the multi coloured baby blanket I knitted - once all the ends are sewn in ;)

Dinner tonight was Chinese takeaway for DH & DSis, I had hm soup.

Remember I have told you all that I am a very lucky person :p here is another bit of luck - on one of my mini walks to ramp up my F*tb*t I found a single long stemmed red rose 🌹 on the pavement :D It is now in a vase on the coffee table & makes me smile every time it catches my eye :D My DSis is quite jealous - she didn’t find a rose :( on her walk :p

Now my raison d’être - cheerleading

Barny1979, you have been busy over the weekend - Well Done on getting rid of so much stuff :T

bit by bit, another great title :D By the way :naughty: you have decluttered - 2 big bags of rags from the house to the car :rotfl:

Tfoz, you are braver than I am - at least you are starting to sort your under stairs cupboard :T I keep putting it off - after all it is not visible :rotfl: Well Done on decluttering items to their correct home :T. Surprising what a lick of paint can do to refresh a room :D

whmf00001, you get more praise from me - batch cooking :T I always mean to but never quite manage :o You also get a gold star :staradmin for giving your Soup maker every chance - it has let you down once too often & now you are getting shot - Well Done :T

Well Done Fire Fox :T You might have been exhausted but you have decluttered stale air & window grime :D Remember feeling happy leads to feeling healthy :D I believe it is a proven fact that happy people become healthy people :rotfl:

phoebe1989seb, :naughty: you do realise that decluttering outside tasks is still decluttering :D & until spring is fully here you must take every opportunity to work outside :D Well Done on keeping stuff going out :T

:hello: amycool, (great name :D) welcome to the ‘Decluttering Bandwagon’. I don’t like wagging the finger :naughty: but your post is NOT too long :p I, for one, love reading about the reasons for joining our happy band of declutterers :D but then I am a nosey c*w :rotfl: Sorry about your prolonged ill health, but happy that you are now on the mend. You have made an absolutely excellent start :T but please do NOT make yourself ill again by trying to do too much :( I definitely approve of relaxing over half term & hopefully spending time with your DD doing fun things :D I am also pleased that we have already infected you with the ‘Decluttering Bug’ :rotfl: - enjoying & looking for clutter to be rid of :T:rotfl:

pixielottie, glad I made you laugh :) You must be really happy to know that you do own a desk :rotfl: Sounds like a great plan for the week :T Decluttering to create space so that you can declutter items to their rightful place :T A massive Well Done on the weight loss :T:T & I wish you continued success in your journey to declutter more lbs :D

frizz2, hope to see more of you :D

chupachups4, really Well Done - 12 items sold :T & more pennies in the travel pot :T

tboo, Well Done on the decluttering :T and yes absolutely decluttering food from freezer counts :rotfl:

ailz95, a massive Well Done on all that decluttering :T especially the batteries :T. I take it that the paperweights have their own space :rotfl:

keepcalmandcraft, you have obviously chosen an apt name :D Very crafty :rotfl: Shame about the other duvets :( Well Done on ‘finding’ the carpet :T:D

Hermia, I completely understand ;) as evidenced by the task I started today :rotfl: I have kept up with the knitting & am not too bad at that :D Do you have a ‘craft’ in mind? Well Done on cluttering pennies :T. What a great post about hoarding - thank you:T I have come to believe that hoarders are like alcoholics - they have to try every day not to lapse :( apparently there is no cure - how depressing is that :(

choille, hope your buyers pay up quickly :) & Well Done on getting everything ready to go :T
    Not hoarding - collecting :rotfl: Seriously though, I don’t think hoarders can declutter :( I think most of the time we just do not realise how much ‘stuff’ we own, then something happens or we hear or read something & all of a sudden the scales fall from our eyes & we just want space & tidy homes :rotfl: We start on our decluttering journey & are lucky enough to find like minded people :T

Wow 😲IrishRose, a massive Well Done :T Isn’t it great when you find something that works for you :D I am well impressed that you are keeping on top of the bag a day :T

somerandom, Well Done on the decluttering :T and I absolutely love your 200 :rotfl: You decluttered an issue & have cluttered loads of pennies :T

Only taken me 5 hours to write this :eek:

See you later

MrsSD
    339/2019
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £166.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £50.00; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • villagelife
    villagelife Posts: 3,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not much but made sure something went out of the house.

268 some ribbon binned. Some very small bits.
    269-270 couple of shampoo and Body wash used up and binned.
    271 paperwork shredded.
  • Molillie
    Molillie Posts: 134 Forumite
    Options
    I've been MIA for a month, but kept up my one thing a day going out in January, and then have had two weeks break, as had a lot of other things going on, and really, a lot of the quick and easy stuff isn't there.

Now it''s early Monday, and I need to be out by 7:30, so will pick up a few things to drop-off at the Community Centre for their sale area. Tonight, I shall treat myself to reading through all the posts and get motivated.

Mrs SD, I am so pleased to see your continuing motivation posts, and on reading the most recent one, would recommend Bella Coco on Youtube for learning crochet, or The Crochet Crowd. There are plenty of others, but I'm sure that both of these two have clear videos, which I know people at my Craft Club enjoy.

Looking forward to catching-up tonight. Happy Monday everyone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure