PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Opposite of thrift - what brand do you not cheap out on?

Comments

• juliettet
    juliettet Posts: 726 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Marmite
    HP sauce
    Liz Earle
    M&S seasalt butter
    Warburtons crumpets
    Free range organic eggs
    Schweppes ordinary tonic

No substitutes for the above in my book. I don't eat meat so justify these spends.
  • flubberyzing
    flubberyzing Posts: 1,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    In terms of loo roll, it has to be Andrex Quilted. I decided long ago that life was too short for rubbish loll roll. :)

Instant coffee has to be Nescafe or Kenco.

Anything else, I happy to shop around.
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420
  • ninnoodle
    ninnoodle Posts: 433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I used to think Heinz tomato sauce and tomato soup could never be cheaped out on. Until I discovered Co-Op tomato sauce and Aldi tomato soup! I was also a sucker for Paula's Choice products, and while they are good, I am currently experimenting with cheaper brands again. I really don't think there is anything I won't cheap out on!
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture I won, I won, I won! PPI Party Pooper First Post
    edited 7 January 2019 at 3:24PM
    loo roll - the cheap stuff is thin, nasty and dusty. Much of the mid range stuff is passable, but often works out more expense than Cushelle or Andrex bought on offer at Costco.

This! Mid range stuff for me is OK for thickness, but still seems to shed soooo much dust. IME, only Cushelle and Andrex don't shed like that!

Also - Baked beans - always Heinz or Branston. Cheap/supermarket own versions are hard and taste really earthy. Just Eugh!

ETA: Lurpak Butter - Have tried lidl and aldi versions, but both are gross IMO.

Also now a Lush shampoo bar convert. Expensive up front, but I think it is going to work out cheaper in the long run as each one lasts agessssssss! Plus, it means we are reducing our plastic use which is a goal of ours for 2018.
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Bake Off Boss! Intrepid Forum Explorer Combo Breaker
    juliettet wrote: »
    Marmite
    HP sauce
    Liz Earle
    M&S seasalt butter
    Warburtons crumpets
    Free range organic eggs
    Schweppes ordinary tonic

No substitutes for the above in my book. I don't eat meat so justify these spends.

This has just reminded me - Linda McCartney veggie sausages. I can usually find them for £1 for a pack of six, so not a huge indulgence. I can make do with supermarket versions but DD won't touch them.
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! I've been Money Tipped!
    I have to have

Kenco DeCaff Coffee
    Fairy Non Bio Gel
    Body Shop ginger shampoo
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped! Combo Breaker
    Back before I used a menstrual cup, I would never buy anything other than Tampax, I found that cheaper brands were just awful!!!
    I couldn't muster up the courage to use one for years (prefer single-use products rather than risk introducing something untoward :o) and now I reason that I won't get that much use out of one. Generic products are fine as long as they are packaged in paper rather than plastic.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • mumf
    mumf Posts: 604 Forumite
    500 Posts Name Dropper Part of the Furniture Mortgage-free Glee!
    PG Tips teabags.You can buy cheaper,it may be brand ' blindness ', but it works for us.
  • mcfly998
    mcfly998 Posts: 12 Forumite
    10 Posts Fourth Anniversary
    Never buy cheap binbags!

An extra couple of pence per bag means you'll never have to pickup semi-decomposed horribleness off the floor, after your cheap bag split as you tried to wrestle it out of the kitchen bin.
  • Aveeno body wash - all the other irritate my skin
    Nespresso coffee pods
    HP Brown sauce
    Heinz Tomato ketchup
    Tayto cheese & onion crisps (a Northern Ireland thing...)
    Punjanna (Thompsons) tea bags (a Northern Ireland thing...)
    Heinz baked beans

I think that's it...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 345.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451K Spending & Discounts
  • 237.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 612.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.3K Life & Family
  • 251K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.