PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Opposite of thrift - what brand do you not cheap out on?

Options

Comments

• Dizzy_Ditzy
    Dizzy_Ditzy Posts: 17,462 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My cat will only eat Gourmet Perle too, fussy cow :rotfl:

Twinings Everday teabags for me - sell for anywhere between £3.50-£5 in most supermarkets for 40 but B&M do them for £1.99

Diet coke - there is no substitute and Pepsi just doesn't do it for me

Ariel washing liquid or pods - i end up with a rash whenever I try to use anything else

I'll only buy meat from my local butcher but he does offers which I'll stock up on and they last us ages

I'm mentally going through my cupboards now to think of what else I won't switch :rotfl:
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Health & Beauty, Greenfingered Moneysaving and How Much Have You Saved boards. If you need any help on these boards, please do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Quite a few saying they like Diet Coke/Coke, but for me I prefer Pepsi Max over all cola drinks and prefer Coke Zero to Diet Coke, Diet Coke tastes awful nowadays compared to Coke Zero.
  • mark55man
    mark55man Posts: 7,945 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Barny1979 wrote: »
    Quite a few saying they like Diet Coke/Coke, but for me I prefer Pepsi Max over all cola drinks and prefer Coke Zero to Diet Coke, Diet Coke tastes awful nowadays compared to Coke Zero.
    Lidl Freeway diet all day long instead of diet coke - can but 6 x2l bottles for under £3
    I think I saw you in an ice cream parlour
    Drinking milk shakes, cold and long
    Smiling and waving and looking so fine
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,785 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Gin & Tonic. Obviously.

Plymouth & Fevertree.
    Only if the purchaser has heard the story.

Which I hadn't - I had a really nice G&T whilst we were down there and found out they used Fentiman's as a matter of course whenever Plymmy was ordered. It made it taste so much better than the usual yellow one (and is nice enough to drink on its own), I decided there and then that I'd drink it from then on.

Mind you, the other soft drinks they do are also nicer, not so sugary as most are - the Rose Lemonade and Elderflower are superior in taste to me, as well.
    Fevertree or Fentimans?

I actually dislike the taste of Fentimans tonic so if having a (rare) G&T in Wetherspoons I don't 'upgrade' to that tonic.
  • Golightly72
    Options
    mark88man wrote: »
    Lidl Freeway diet all day long instead of diet coke - can but 6 x2l bottles for under £3

I agree with this, my 16 year old loves diet coke, but I served her the Lidl diet coke and she 100% could not tell the difference.
  • wondercollie
    wondercollie Posts: 1,591 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Handbags. Leather, Italian or Spanish. I’ve tried cheaper bags but they either scuff up badly or the handles give up. I have one true designer bag that was a gift from my husband. The mortgage was paid, the cars were paid for. He got a medal for his time overseas, he gave me a treat for a very rough time.

I’ve also discovered that several of my bags are from the same factories as a couple of big name French labels. For less than a tenth of the price. Same leathers, same craftsmen
  • Throwaway1
    Throwaway1 Posts: 527 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tampax Pearl, non compact. Nothing comes close to them in my opinion. The years I've spent having accidents and worrying with my heavy periods is like a distant memory now.
    MFW - OP 10% each year to clear mortgage in 10 years!
    2019: £16,125/£16,125
    2020: £14,172.64/£14,172.64
    2021: £12,333.62/£12,333.62
    2022: £10,626.55/£10,626.55
    2023: switched tactics to saving in a higher interest rate account than mortgage interest rate
    2024: mortgage neutral!
  • FluffityBunny
    Options
    PG Tips tea bags and Heinz baked beans
  • MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Marmite, and wine. I'd rather drink less, and stick to decent quality stuff. That said, sometimes Lidl/Aldi comes up trumps!

DH is the same with his Bourbon. He will have the Lidl stuff in an old fashioned but straight it has to be 101 Wild Turkey or similar.

Nothing else food related sticks out as something we're fussy about. I do buy MAC makeup though, which is a small fortune. I keep trying lower ticket brands then going back again.
  • charlotte1994
    Options
    Back before I used a menstrual cup, I would never buy anything other than Tampax, I found that cheaper brands were just awful!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport