Share Dealing Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    tafer2uk wrote: »
    Thanks Biggles, I guess my other option is to hang onto the shares and wait to see if they re-list in the future.
    Absolutely. The company obviously think they'll do better unlisted and, if they're right, you may be better off eventually.

But you need to be aware that 'eventually' may be a very long time, if ever. During which time, you will probably not have the option of realising your investment.
  • cashbackproblems
    Options
    Anyone have any opinions on Legal and General and whether to buy at the moment?

All insurance firms have posted positive positives, and have come across 3 respected broker reports giving this as a buy and short term target of 100-120p (currently 80p), the company also has 40% profit margins etc.

In addition lots of director buys were recorded last week and talk of a t/o for a quick small return?
  • sabretoothtigger
    Options
    Ignore director buys most of the time, they will buy in groups because often they are signed up to various bonus schemes in shares. The results are released or theres a dividend and they'll buy automatically pretty much, almost obligatory

Broker tips, use a grit box with advice contained there. You will hear of their tips long after their paid clients have got the full report and your buying might even be met by those clients now selling

The insurance sector fell back from a nice peak recently, I was glad to be out at the right time personally
    chartimagecgi.png

I dont know LGEN especially but there was rumour of a bid at some point I think. Anyway, the sector seems prone to the fear factor in the market. As I understand it they must stay liquid and solvent and any failure (or fear of) to have this capital can lead to disaster for the share price.

SL has 3bn in reserve and is the best capitalised in europe afaik, how does LGEN compare
    I wouldnt buy for the reasons you've stated but their chart looks reasonable enough. I think its broken the march uptrend now?
    No interest for me, revenues mostly uk based and no growth prospects especially as far as I can see
  • deeps_10
    deeps_10 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

I am looking for some information on who to go with with regards to buying shares and who takes the least commission when I sell them. I am looking to make a one off investment of around £10k and purchases shares. I will not be frequently buying and selling these shares. I will let them sit for a minimum 6months to a year see if the price has gone up and then sell the lot,

Any information I would apprecite. I have an account with halifax and e-trade but I was wondering if there are any others out there that have a lower commission,

Thanks information I would appreciate,
  • cashbackproblems
    Options
    deeps_10 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am looking for some information on who to go with with regards to buying shares and who takes the least commission when I sell them. I am looking to make a one off investment of around £10k and purchases shares. I will not be frequently buying and selling these shares. I will let them sit for a minimum 6months to a year see if the price has gone up and then sell the lot,

Any information I would apprecite. I have an account with halifax and e-trade but I was wondering if there are any others out there that have a lower commission,

Thanks information I would appreciate,

www.iii.co.uk
  • DUS
    DUS Posts: 184 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

I would want to purchase shares of Bougainville Copper (ISIN PG0008526520) but neither Hargreaves Lansdown nor Selftrade seem to offer a trade in this stock. Does somebody know a UK stockbroker where I can purchase BOC shares? Thank you!

DUS
  • turbobob
    turbobob Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    Options
    DUS wrote: »
    Hi,

I would want to purchase shares of Bougainville Copper (ISIN PG0008526520) but neither Hargreaves Lansdown nor Selftrade seem to offer a trade in this stock. Does somebody know a UK stockbroker where I can purchase BOC shares? Thank you!

DUS

Don't know specifically but TD Waterhouse do have the facility to deal online in Australian ASX shares, which if I'm not mistaken is where this company is listed.
  • db2boy
    Options
    Firstly thanks to those who responded to my previous question - been away with work and travel and still researching but did join iii :-) I have a couple of questions that so far I'm struggling with as I try and learn and do some more research:-

1) Is there a name for the type of trading where you are watching a volatile stock that over a day to a few days moves up and down with some regularity? So you are buying and selling on this movement as frequently as it makes sense for your investment. Wait for it to drop x before a buy then sell when it reaches y.

2) Given this type of trade can happen frequently and I'm interested in some US stock, which is £15 per buy or sell transaction, are there any ways to mitigate this? Cheaper online traders or a way to use a US based online trader which are much cheaper? Regulations seem to prevent this.

Hope these are not to noobie :-)

Thanks

Ant
  • sabretoothtigger
    Options
    There are cheaper brokers for america, maybe half that or less but 15 isnt a bad high street charge for dealing afaik. Ask TDW & etrade maybe
    Trading a range is often done, clever if you can spot a price channel but watch the constant decline in currency as it confuses which number is worth what.

I would not trade anything you would not be happy to hold as we might touch the top dollar price and not come back for a decade or even worse with inflation vice versa & never :confused:

SP500 traded in gold looks like we have been going sideways like you describe since mid April but whose rich enough to trade companies with gold and we've only moved 10% since late August anyway so not worth the bother (on average)

spxgoldsc.png

http://stockcharts.com/school/doku.php?id=chart_school:chart_analysis:chart_patterns:price_channel_contin
  • tradetime
    tradetime Posts: 3,200 Forumite
    Options
    db2boy wrote: »

2) Given this type of trade can happen frequently and I'm interested in some US stock, which is £15 per buy or sell transaction, are there any ways to mitigate this? Cheaper online traders or a way to use a US based online trader which are much cheaper? Regulations seem to prevent this.

Hope these are not to noobie :-)

Thanks

Ant
    For US listed stocks Interactive Brokers charges $0.005 per share ie $5 (about £3 currently) per thousand, or up to a maximum of 0.5%.
    Due in part to a lot of idiots crying about how leveraged ETF's didn't produce the results they expected (because they hadn't bothered to understand the product before they traded it) you may find it hard to open an account without a reasonable amount of trading experience, but it might be worth a try.
    I would be cautious diving into any form of trading without fully understanding what you are doing, I know lots of people do it, but then 80-90% of them lose their money.
    Hope for the best.....Plan for the worst!

"Never in the history of the world has there been a situation so bad that the government can't make it worse." Unknown
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure