We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Share Dealing Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• sabretoothtigger
    sabretoothtigger Posts: 10,035 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    BHJRqOk.png
    Halifax wrote:
    May's Commission Countdown event is taking place on Tuesday 21st May. You'll be able to save £8.00 every trade, buying or selling UK shares online for just £3.95 commission between 12pm and 2pm that day.

Plus, we're offering the same £3.95 commission rate on international trades between 8am and 9pm. Foreign currency conversion charges of 1% either side of the available exchange rate will apply
  • saintalan
    saintalan Posts: 562 Forumite
    Options
    Hi I posted a thread on the ISA forum re a money Saving idea.

Alan
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The original ones I bought were 1p as listed on the certificate. The recent certificate said the shares were 284 at IR25 pence
    The figure printed on the certificate is never the price, it is the 'nominal value' of the shares (and that was an Irish penny anyway, not GBP0.01). It looks like the shares were trading around 42p in Apr 97, so that might mean you had spent around £1,800, as STT said, does that ring a bell?

They had a 25:1 consolidation in Sep 97, though how 4,444 old shares equate to 284 new shares is hard to fathom, though you mention a rights issue, you might have picked up a few more shares there.

284 would be worth, er, coincidentally around £1,800 today.
  • sabretoothtigger
    Options
    Getting shares for a penny when everyone else in the world pays 43p is a great deal.

Maybe if you worked for them? Every share has this label, sells for £20 but labelled 0.1 Euro
    I dont know why but I heed the warning, the base value of paper is just that; depends how they play the cards

284 would be worth, er, coincidentally around £1,800 today.

Fairly sure FT will adjust for share shenighans, if they consolidate the price changes just as much. DGO has risen in value and price
  • melbury
    melbury Posts: 13,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Does anyone know of a company that offers certificated share dealing at a reasonable price?

I had a letter from Lloyds today saying they are no longer offering this service.

I know it is very old fashioned, but I just like to have a paper certificate:o
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

• JoeCrystal
    JoeCrystal Posts: 3,051 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Indeed, I also had the same letter and also maintain the same feeling toward the share certificates. I will be doing some research but the problem is that the cheapest way is now most likely buying it online and withdraw it onto paper. :( Quite possible the only unique thing about Lloyds was the fact you can buy it directly online and have it posted straight away without any letters or hassle. I know no other company or broker that does that.

I will also be doing some research over the week so I will keep you posted if there is anything reasonable. :) My target is £25 or less for combined online purchase (not postal/phone but direct purchase) and withdrawal onto the certificates by letter (secure email would be better).

Cheers,
    Joe
  • JoeCrystal
    JoeCrystal Posts: 3,051 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 19 May 2013 at 2:14PM
    Options
    This is very depressing. Many online brokers got Halifax as their platform (which requires £25 or £35 to withdraw as share certificates). But it seems to be that the cheapest online way is SVS Securities with £5.75 trading charge and £15 for Share Certificates so that is £20.75. AND you can just send an email to convert the shares to certificates. Sounded perfect. So where the catch.... Either way, it is just perfect for my need. So I will go with SVS Securities from now on. Just established and funded the account today.

I hope this help melbury! :) At the moment, I genuinely believe that this is a cheap way of purchasing and withdrawing shares onto certificates unless someone else got an account that make it even cheaper (excluding regular investments of c).

Cheers,
    Joe
  • melbury
    melbury Posts: 13,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    JoeCrystal wrote: »
    Indeed, I also had the same letter and also maintain the same feeling toward the share certificates. I will be doing some research but the problem is that the cheapest way is now most likely buying it online and withdraw it onto paper. :( Quite possible the only unique thing about Lloyds was the fact you can buy it directly online and have it posted straight away without any letters or hassle. I know no other company or broker that does that.

I will also be doing some research over the week so I will keep you posted if there is anything reasonable. :) My target is £25 or less for combined online purchase (not postal/phone but direct purchase) and withdrawal onto the certificates by letter (secure email would be better).

Cheers,
    Joe

Many thanks Joe, please keep me posted.:T
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

• Just_landed
    Just_landed Posts: 608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Same company different question.

I am looking into buying Lloyds LLPC or LLPD no experience in these.

Q1:- What if any apart from the amount of dividend and cost is the difference ?

Q2:- Is there any problems buying & selling preference shares, they can be bought via II.

Q3:- is there any link I can go to find out the dividend payment dates ?

Yours Just landed :)
  • sabretoothtigger
    edited 21 May 2013 at 3:02PM
    Options
    Best cert cost I know of would be :
    £10 per holding for transferring investments to another Nominee provider or to your own name

If you require us to assist you in obtaining a replacement certificate involving a counter-indemnity, we will charge you 
    based on the work you require us to do. If we assist you in obtaining the counter-indemnity from the Registrar, we will 
    charge £25.00 (plus VAT) for our work, in addition to any charge levied by the Registrar. If we assist you in obtaining a 
    counter-indemnity quote from an insurance company, we will charge you £50.00 (plus VAT) for our work, in addition to any 
    charge levied by the insurance company. If you require more than one quote, we will charge you £25.00 (plus VAT) for each 
    additional quote obtained.

and its 50p to buy but you have to pay 25 a quarter for this account. Otherwise I think thats the cheapest as it sounds like its £10 to get a cert ? not sure. If you deal once a month its probably the best

Monday May 20 

INTERIMS 
    ITE Group 

INTERIM DIVIDEND PAYMENT DATE 
    Albemarle & Bond Holdings 

QUARTERLY PAYMENT DATE 
    Caterpillar Inc., Virgin Media Inc. 

FINALS 
    Cranswick, E2V Technologies, Mitie Group 

AGMS 
    Auhua Clean Energy, British Smaller Companies VCT 2, LMS Capital, Shanta Gold Ltd., TMT Investments 

FINAL DIVIDEND PAYMENT DATE 
    Communisis, GKN, IMI, Interserve, Miton Group, Resolution Ltd., Stanley Gibbons Group, Unite Group 

Q1 
    OAO Severstal GDR (Reg S) 

Tuesday May 21 

INTERIMS 
    Greencore Group, Paragon Group Of Companies, Renew Holdings, Zytronic 

INTERNATIONAL ECONOMIC ANNOUNCEMENTS 
    Producer Price Index (GER) (07:00) 
    All industry activity index (JPN) 
    M3 (Switz.) 
    Speech President St.Louis Fed (16:30) 
    Speech President New York Fed (18:00) 

GMS 
    Bankers Petroleum Ltd.(CDI) 

FINALS 
    Big Yellow Group, Bloomsbury Publishing, Burberry Group, Chamberlin, China Food Co, Intermediate Capital Group, JZ Capital Partners Ltd, Marks & Spencer Group, Telecom Plus, Vectura Group, Vertu Motors, Vodafone Group 

IMSS 
    Bwin.party Digital Entertainment 

SPECIAL DIVIDEND PAYMENT DATE 
    Standard Life 

AGMS 
    Alent, Cathay International Holdings Ltd., Chariot Oil & Gas Ltd., Concha, Escher Group Holdings, Glanbia, Hydrogen Group, Impax Environmental Markets, Instem, Invesco Perpetual UK Small Companies Inv Trust, JSC KazMunaiGaz Exploration Production GDR (Reg S), Kakuzi Ltd., Martin Currie Global Portfolio Trust, Regus, Royal Dutch Shell 'A', St James's Place 

UK ECONOMIC ANNOUNCEMENTS 
    Consumer Price Index  (09:30) 
    Producer Price Index  (09:30) 

Brady, Holders Technology, Kazakhmys, Rentokil Initial, Rotork, Standard Life, Taylor Wimpey 

Q1 
    AFI Development, X5 Retail Group NV GDR (Reg S) 

Wednesday May 22 

INTERIMS 
    Innovation Group 

Utilitywise 

INTERIM EX-DIVIDEND DATE 
    Bellway, Diploma, Euromoney Institutional Investor, Titon Holdings 

QUARTERLY EX-DIVIDEND DATE 
    Blackrock North American Income Trust , Carnival, M Winkworth 

Crude Oil Inventories (US) (15:30) 
    Current Account (EU) (09:00) 
    Existing Home Sales (US) (15:00) 
    MBA Mortgage Applications (US) (12:00) 
    FOMC Minutes (18:00) 
    Testimony Fed President Bernanke (15:00) 
    EU 27 Summit 
    Bank of Japan policy decision 

FINALS 
    Cable & Wireless Communications, FirstGroup, Great Portland Estates, HICL Infrastructure Company Ltd, Hogg Robinson Group, Shaftesbury, UK Mail Group 

SPECIAL EX-DIVIDEND PAYMENT DATE 
    Polyus Gold International Ltd 

AGMS 
    Advanced Medical Solutions Group, Aminex, Anglo Pacific Group, Bridge Energy Asa, Central Asia Metals, Churchill China, CSR, Henderson Global Trust, Legal & General Group, London Mining, Mecom Group, Mercantile Investment Trust (The), Michelmersh Brick Holdings, North American Income Trust (The), office2office, Optimal Pay, Panmure Gordon & Co, Pendragon, Roxi Petroleum, Serviced Office Group, Total Produce, Vernalis, W H Ireland Group 

BoE Interest Rate Minutes (09:30) 
    GDP 2nd release (09:30) 
    Internet Retail Sales (09:30) 
    Public Sector Finances (09:30) 
    CBI Industrial Trends Surveys (11:00) 

Chesnara, Dairy Farm International Holdings Ltd. (Singapore), FBD Holdings, Hongkong Land Holding Ltd. (Bermuda), Hongkong Land Holding Ltd. (Jersey), Jardine Matheson Holdings Ltd (Singapore Reg), Jardine Strategic Holdingd Ltd. (Singapore), Mandarin Oriental International (Singapore), Rexam, Serco Group, StatPro Group, Wood Group (John), Xchanging 

FINAL EX-DIVIDEND DATE 
    Belgravium Technologies, Burford Capital Ltd., Bwin.party Digital Entertainment, C&C Group, Capital & Counties Properties , Chime Communications, Clarkson, DCC, Dignity, Eastern European Trust, Elderstreet VCT, Empresaria Group, Fairpoint Group, Glencore Xstrata, Home Retail Group, Howden Joinery Group, Inchcape, Intertek Group, Journey Group, Maven Income & Growth 2 VCT, Menzies(John), Michael Page International, Nationwide Accident Repair Services, Netplay TV, Octopus Apollo VCT, Polyus Gold International Ltd, Provident Financial, Robert Walters, Share, SQS Software Quality Systems AG, Stobart Group Ltd., UTV Media, Witan Pacific Inv Trust, Xaar, Xstrata 

Thursday May 23 

INTERIMS 
    Mitchells & Butlers 

Ultimate Finance Group 

Consumer Confidence Indicator (EU) (10:00) 
    Continuing Claims (US) (12:30) 
    GDP (output, income & expenditure) (09:30) 
    Initial Jobless Claims (US) (13:30) 
    FHFA House price index (US) (14:00) 
    New Homes Sales (US) (15:00) 

FINALS 
    Aveva Group, Dairy Crest Group, Halfords Group, Helical Bar, Investec, Max Property Group, Mothercare, PayPoint, Pennon Group, QinetiQ Group, Quintain Estates & Development, SABMiller, United Utilities Group 

AGMS 
    Afriag, Air China Ltd., Bank of Georgia Holdings, BG Group, Centamin (DI), Dunedin Income Growth Inv Trust, Empresaria Group, F&C Commercial Property Trust Ltd., Guinness Peat Group, Henry Boot, Hydro International, Immupharma, IS Solutions, Keller Group, Leni Gas & Oil, Lombard Medical Technologies, PV Crystalox Solar, Salamander Energy, SIG, Stilo International, Travis Perkins, UBM 

Index of Services (09:30) 

Aggreko, Amlin, Hikma Pharmaceuticals, Norsk Hydro ASA, North Midland Construction, Prudential, Reed Elsevier, Total Produce, Zotefoams 

Q1 
    Bridge Energy Asa, Wentworth Resources Ltd (CDI) 

Friday May 24 

Swallowfield 

Durable Goods Orders (US) (13:30) 
    IFO Business index (GER) (09:00) 

FINALS 
    Global Market Group Ltd (DI) 

ANNUAL REPORT 
    Vindon Healthcare 

SPECIAL DIVIDEND PAYMENT DATE 
    Admiral Group 

AGMS 
    Beacon Hill Resources, Essenden, HSBC Holdings, Kcell Joint Stock Co GDR (Reg S), Kings Arms Yard VCT, Longships, OJSC Pharmstandard GDR (Reg S), Robert Walters, S & U, Vphase 

BBA Mortgage Lending Figures (09:30) 

Admiral Group, African Barrick Gold , BBA Aviation, Bovis Homes Group, Charles Taylor, Costain Group, DRS Data & Research Services, Dunedin Enterprise Investment Trust, F&C Asset Management, Fiberweb, Fidelity European Values, Greggs, H.R. Owen, Hydrogen Group, Inmarsat, Invesco Perpetual UK Small Companies Inv Trust, Kentz Corporation Ltd., Maven Income and Growth VCT 5, Mithras Inv Trust, Morgan Sindall Group, North American Income Trust (The), Octopus Second AIM VCT, Paddy Power, Petrofac Ltd., Playtech, Portmeirion Group, Powerflute Oyj (DI), RPS Group, RSA Insurance Group, St James's Place

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure