🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Eversmart saying my deal isn't fixed.

Options

Comments

• JohnB47
    JohnB47 Posts: 2,553 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 28 November 2018 at 8:00PM
    Options
    Also checked my account on the customer portal and there is no mention of what Tariff I'm on or indeed any change to it, no bills or invoices after 5 months of supply....

That's certainly my experience too. The website gives no detail about the tariff you're on (name or details) and I've not had any invoices or requests for meter readings since my account (or the gas bit anyway) transferred to them on 10th Sept. (The elect. bit is still in limbo - still showing on my Octopus and Eversmart accounts - Octopus saying they can't close things until Eversmart give them a final reading, which I've done many times - to both of them. Octopus have given me a final bill, based on my final reading).

Also, regarding Eversmart saying that they can’t increase tariff on fixed term contract “unless your contract changes” which later on in the terms says can be done at any time ....". Surely this simply can't stand in law. How can any company say that something is fixed - a tariff or guarantee, until they say it's cancelled, because it's buried in their Ts&Cs that they could do that and you agreed to it. Absolute nonsense.
  • bigal257
    Options
    I switched to Eversmart "Welcome Home" in September and the switch went ok. In November, I had an email offering the "Family Saver" deal where they pay you "12%" on your remaining balance in return for paying 12 months upfront. I asked for the applicable tariff and was given figures 30% higher than my fixed 12 month deal, so. hugely more expensive even with the interest. When I pointed this out, I was told my current tariff was variable and would soon be going up by "a lot" I then had an argument, because my deal is fixed, but they insisted is wasn't - it was a mistake. I made a complaint and was called by the Principal, who admitted they had made a mistake in marketing Welcome Home as fixed, but backed-down on any threat to break the contract by increasing it within the term. However, he did try to persuade me Family Saver was a good deal and I've had a further email offering it at a slightly lower rate, which I've ignored. Anyone whose arithmetic is not too good could fall for it and be seriously out-of-pocket.
  • JohnB47
    edited 29 November 2018 at 10:10AM
    Options
    bigal257 wrote: »
    I switched to Eversmart "Welcome Home" in September and the switch went ok. In November, I had an email offering the "Family Saver" deal where they pay you "12%" on your remaining balance in return for paying 12 months upfront. I asked for the applicable tariff and was given figures 30% higher than my fixed 12 month deal, so. hugely more expensive even with the interest. When I pointed this out, I was told my current tariff was variable and would soon be going up by "a lot" I then had an argument, because my deal is fixed, but they insisted is wasn't - it was a mistake. I made a complaint and was called by the Principal, who admitted they had made a mistake in marketing Welcome Home as fixed, but backed-down on any threat to break the contract by increasing it within the term. However, he did try to persuade me Family Saver was a good deal and I've had a further email offering it at a slightly lower rate, which I've ignored. Anyone whose arithmetic is not too good could fall for it and be seriously out-of-pocket.

Was this just a conversation - have you had anything in writing about them 'backing down' on increasing your fixed tariff?

Note post #124. I keep pointing this one out in case people miss it in this very long thread.
  • Biggus_Dickus
    Options
    JohnB47 wrote: »
    I contacted OFGEM to flag this as a major problem but haven't contacted the Ombudsman yet. OFGEM came back to me asking for further details, which I supplied.

I was waiting for a response to my latest complaint to Eversmart that they simply closed my earlier one without any explanation - just 'Case Closed'.

Then I saw Post #124 on this thread and I though, OK, things are happening now.

Now that I see your post, I've decided to take the 'Case Closed' email as a deadlock message and I'll now contact the Ombudsman.

Oh and I've just received an email from Eversmart:

" Hi Mr XXXX YYYY

You may have watched The Martin Lewis Money Show last week. During the beginning of the show, he addressed our game changing new tariff; Family Saver Club.

Martin says that “If the interest's over 2% then it is a good deal”. He also gave extra reassurance: “if the company was to go under then you’re protected”.

At Eversmart, you’ll be pleased to know that we’re offering 12% annual interest!

Have you had your quote yet? Call 0161 332 0022 today to find out how much you can save on the cheapest fixed energy tariff on the market.

Thanks

Eversmart"

I can't believe that Martin is recommending anything from this company.

Eversmart are putting their own spin on his comments. :D

The viewers question was: “my supplier called and asked me if I’d like to pay for a years energy upfront in return for interest on my credit balance,....is this a good deal?”

Martins answer: “I don’t know what the interest is, but if it’s over 2% then it’s a good deal”...he then went on to mention (amongst other details) that credit was indeed protected if your supplier goes bust.

Martin Lewis answered a general question;...at no point was Eversmart or their Family saver club specifically mentioned.

The programme is available on ITV catch-up for anyone remotely interested; The Martin Lewis Money Show Live S2 Ep3...it’s one of the first items, 2 or 3 minutes in.
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This appeared in one of the tabloids today

The collapses followed an announcement last week that the energy regulator Ofgem had launched investigations into Spark Energy and another small supplier, Economy Energy, after failing to fulfill their renewables obligation scheme payments.

It also pulled up URE Energy and Eversmart with notice of a deadline in March 2019 to pay up. unquote

Fingers crossed they last until my fix finishes in April 2019.
  • Biggus_Dickus
    Options
    Eversmart failed to pay their ‘renewable energy subsidies’ obligation on 31st October and have been given until 31st March 2019 by OFGEM to settle the bill (in full!) by instalments.

I wonder if this looming ‘renewable energy subsidies’ bill is the motivation behind their offer of 12% interest on credit balances for customers who pay 12-months charges up front?
  • JohnB47
    Options
    I thought I'd flag up Eversmarts behaviour, regarding them suggesting that Martin is recommending them but I don't know the best way to do this.

A while ago I did send an email to them, about Eversmart not honouring the Price guarantee, using [EMAIL="news@moneysavingexpert.com"]news@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL] but I didn't get any response.

Is there a better way to flag things up to them? I'm not on twitter or facebook - I just use email.
  • Stratus
    Stratus Posts: 254 Forumite
    Options
    It's not just the Welcome Pack that indicates the Welcome Home tariff is fixed (or price guaranteed until...). The Citizens Advice energy compare site also holds information indicating it is a fixed deal.

Eversmart-Welcome-Home-Fixed.png

If you want reassurance that they won't go back on their fixed price promise you should have a read of their 'Our Vision' page on their website. There's no way such a warm and cuddly sounding company could ever do such a thing.;)

https://www.eversmartenergy.co.uk/index.php/Vision
  • Biggus_Dickus
    Options
    Notwithstanding some of the underhand tactics that we’ve seen in recent times it appears that the energy industry is a very difficult sector in which to operate.

Setting prices low enough to attract enough customers to be profitable, but high enough to cover ALL costs must be daunting;....but that’s business.

Having to pay ‘renewable energy subsidies’ levies must have played some part in the unprecedented number of small energy companies that have gone bust since January.,...and probably more to follow.

All of which probably means we’ll continue to face steeply escalating energy prices for some while to come.

Renewable energy infrastructure comes at a cost (as do Smart-meters! :D);... however, if we want the rainbow, we’ll have to put up with [STRIKE]the rain [/STRIKE]rising prices.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/736153/Ch6.pdf
  • JohnB47
    Options
    I've just submitted my case to the energy ombudsman. Eversmart are simply blanking me now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport