edited 26 April 2020 at 8:45AM in Debt free diaries
113 replies 9.3K views

Replies

• Treadingwater02Treadingwater02 Forumite
    119 Posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    £27.70/£100 - it's getting there!

Planned a couple of cheap days out next week, it will be nice to get out of the house and spend some quality time with DD.
    LBM Debt at: £47454:eek:
    Current total 26th Oct 2020 £ 25,808.04
  • jwiljwil Forumite
    16.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Great result on the water :T :T
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • Honeysucklelou2Honeysucklelou2 Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Hi Treadingwater02,

Just read through your diary...well done on getting the debt total lower. Sounds like you've had a lot to deal with house repairs etc. I'm a single parent too so cheering you on your journey to being debt free.
    paydbx2023 #36 £70/£4300 . 2023 savings challenge £10/£2000 EF £204. Savings 2 £000
    119 Posts
    Forumite
    Thanks Honeysuckle, it is hard being a single parent, I think what I find the hardest is saying no, it's those little things if we are out and DD says can I have.........and I have to say no because I just cannot afford it, but I suppose that in the long run it does teach the value of money.

I've set up a bank account for DD in her own name and she has the banking app on her phone and I encourage her to regularly check her balance and get her to work out how much she has left if she wants to buy something. I desperately want her to understand money and not be like the former me!!
    119 Posts
    Forumite
    Total so far: £119.17/£100!! YAY I did it!!

I'm going to roll the extra £119.17 over to next month and see if I can make another £100.

This debt busting is a total emotional roller coaster, some days I feel like "yes, I can do this" then others I'm "I'm so fed up and feel its never ending" and that's without all the other curve balls that life likes to throw in!
    119 Posts
    Forumite
    Pay Day Today!!

I look forward to paid day every month as i know its another month that I'm paying my debt down and in fabulous news when I get paid next month my debt total will officially drop from the 40k bracket into the 30k bracket!!! Never thought I'd get there but its within touching distant now and feels like a real achievement, I know its still a big amount to owe but its going in the right direction.

I've joined the sealed pot challenge as an extra to keep me motivated and have potted a little bit here and there, I'm going to take a look at some of the other challenges as I feel ready to take on a bit more action!
  • enthusiasticsaverenthusiasticsaver Forumite, Ambassador
    13.9K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Ambassador
    Well done on getting that debt paid down in spite of your separation and house issues. Hopefully your kitchen is coming along ok.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected] All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Save £12k in 2023 Challenge #8 £12,000/£5100
    The 365 day 1p Challenge 2023 #1 £670.00/£72.00
    The 365 £1 a day Challenge for Christmas 2023 #43 £1000/£300
  • Honeysucklelou2Honeysucklelou2 Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Wow well done for smashing through your £100 target for April.
    paydbx2023 #36 £70/£4300 . 2023 savings challenge £10/£2000 EF £204. Savings 2 £000
  • jwiljwil Forumite
    16.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    It's such a huge thing going into the next '000 bracket, well done :T
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • Fla603Fla603 Forumite
    43 Posts
    Forumite
    Fantastic news on your new bracket!! I’ve just read your diary and it sounds like you are doing a great job managing your situation and raising your DD.

Having the house repairs carried out is a massive achievement too but just made me wonder if XDH is on your mortgage jointly and if he is still contributing? My concern is that you are carrying out all these repairs at your expense, and ultimately they are home improvements which could affect your house value. I would hate for you to pay for the repairs from your own purse only for him to reap the rewards in the future. I can’t say I know very much about it, but it might be worth chatting to someone, maybe citizens advice?

I hope this doesn’t cause you any added stress, as you say regardless of cost your child’s safety is paramount!