New Diary - New Hope

edited 26 April 2020 at 8:45AM in Debt free diaries
113 replies 9.3K views

Replies

• Treadingwater02Treadingwater02 Forumite
    119 Posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Thought I would add just a little post today as haven't posted since last week.

Feeling much stronger than I expected this week, have arrange contact for the next two weeks between DD and her dad, have started sorting some bits out in the house that have been getting on my nerves. Need to sort out money going forward as hate feeling that I do not know where I stand, although everything is fairly amicable at the moment its normally the money where things go wrong.

Worse case scenario with money is if ex does not give me any money I can pay all the bills, but money will be extremely tight. I'm going to brooch this subject in the next couple of weeks before my next pay day so that I can plan a budget for December.

Any help or advice always gratefully received.
    LBM Debt at: £47454:eek:
    Current total 26th Oct 2020 £ 25,808.04
  • enthusiasticsaverenthusiasticsaver Forumite, Ambassador
    13.9K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Ambassador
    Sorry to hear about your relationship breakdown but sounds like you are getting to grips with your finances. Will you be making a private arrangement with ex about maintenance or will you go through CSA? If your circumstances have changed considerably and you can no longer meet the DMP payment you can get it adjusted. Just ring them and tell them your ex has moved out so you have less income coming in.

Priorities are rent/mortgage/utilities/food and essential bills. Debts presumably are covered in the DMP or do you have private arrangements with family re the credit they took out for you too? If your OH has done this before I would think twice before taking him back. Not fair to you or DD.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing foru[email protected] All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Save £12k in 2023 Challenge #8 £12,000/£5100
    The 365 day 1p Challenge 2023 #1 £670.00/£72.00
    The 365 £1 a day Challenge for Christmas 2023 #43 £1000/£300
    119 Posts
    Forumite
    I haven't been on here for awhile because just could not face everything but thought it was time for an update.

It's been very difficult but starting to get use to being a single mum, I suppose the main difference is doing everything on my own, housework, shopping, school etc, but each day it gets a tiny bit easier.

I managed to pay my overall debt down to £43,133 this year, the initial figure was £47, 454, not a huge amount off but moving in the right direction!

I need to try and get motivated again to do all those extra little things like surveys and ebay as I want to try and get my debt down to £35,000 by the end of next year if I can. I also need to build up my emergency fund again as it stands at £0.00 as I needed to use the money to pay bills whilst I sorted out money with my ex.

Any other suggestions would be great.
    x
  • Have you got a bit more breathing room now things have been sorted with the ex?
    119 Posts
    Forumite
    I do have a bit of wiggle room now as long as I'm am careful I should be able to manage. I want to build up that emergency fund again so I know I can pay for things like the car going wrong or an appliance breaking.

I've sold a couple of bits on ebay and made £60.00 so that will finish Christmas off and then everything else I make over that will go in the EF pot and once that is at least £700 I will start paying extra off of debt.

That's the plan anyway, now lets just hope it works!
    119 Posts
    Forumite
    So, I haven't posted for ages, mainly due to so much going on at home and trying to survive the festive period emotionally unscathed!!

Christmas was better than I thought, we managed to get through the first Christmas since the separation and it actually was surprisingly good!

Now I am trying to survive January, lots of birthdays. I have £85 left to get me through the next 9 days until pay day and this has got to cover food, petrol and one birthday, hoping I can make it stretch.

No good news on debt, just paying the DMP down..........slowly............very slowly.

More bad news I had to rip the kitchen out, mainly due to extremely dodgy wiring and the kitchen literally just falling apart every time you touch it! Doing it slowly though although it does mean currently we are living on a building site. I talked to one of my friends and she knows someone who can give me a quality second hand kitchen for free so that's excellent and has definitely saved some money.

In positive news my sister has offered us the chance to go away for a weekend with her, I won't need to pay for accommodation will just need to help with food and a bit of spending money. Also my dad is paying for us to go to Disneyland Paris in July, so will just need to save some spending money, I'm going to this by selling some stuff on ebay on being careful with food budget, cutting back where ever I can.

So 2019, I think this will be the year of ups and downs but lets hope mostly ups!!
  • jwiljwil Forumite
    16.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Glad you had a good christmas. Exciting about the new kitchen and the breaks!
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    119 Posts
    Forumite
    Right, so its time to get focused!

I really struggle in January, its seems one of the hardest months to get through. I have felt a little concerned this week that I'm losing control of my budget and spending so I'm going to try and renew my focus for when I get paid this month.

I am going to:
    1. Keep all my receipts this month to check what & where I'm spending
    2. Rejuvenate my meals plans as I feel like we are eating the same stuff week in week out!
    3. Stop procrastinating and get down to sticking stuff on ebay
    4. Commit to posting on diary at least once a week
    5. Have a go at no spend days (not tried this before so want to give it a go)
    6. Take a look at debt totals and apart from DMP decide which one to pay down first. (Hopefully this will give me a better sense of achievement)

I will update on progress as I go.
    x
  • jwiljwil Forumite
    16.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Good luck with the goals :)
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney