Would you like a surprise party?

Options
12345679»

Comments

• badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,835 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You have 2 sisters who are bullies. They have bullied your 3rd sister into going along with it. And they are bullying you into attending. Who are they going to bully next? How vulnerable are your parents? (Sorry if they are already gone, I don't remember you mentioning them) Once a bully always a bully.

When I hear about this sort of thing it always reminds me of an intervention (very American!) so is this what they are doing, intervening because after all everyone must like parties & you must be mistaken & need them to put you right? I do like a party, but a surprise party in my honour is the stuff of nightmares.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Wow. They've gone to a huge amount of effort to find people who were part of your life. They've booked and prepped and, yes, organised, to give you a big night for (I'm assuming) a big birthday.
    It's not like you actually are doing anything else for your birthday, is it? Of course you could have already planned a weekend away or a meal or whatever - but you haven't, have you?
    Has it not crossed your mind that your sisters (including the one who 'likes organising things') might be doing this because they want to help you celebrate? That they like you and want you to have a good time?
    I suggest you get over yourself, be grateful that you have people in your life who want to do this for you, put your party frock on, let your hair down and just enjoy it.

The thing is, is you want to do something nice for someone, you have to take into account what they would actually like.

This is OPs sisters. They know her, they know this is not something that she would like or want, they are not 'helping her celebrate', they are bulldozing over her known and stated preferences. It's actually very selfish of them. If they wanted to do something nice, or wanted to help her celebrate, they would have taken into account what she actually likes.

They could have (for instance) have involved her husband, and ensured that whatever they planned was to her taste (maybe a much smaller party, or meal out, for example)

These are not people trying to be nice. These are bullies, and they are selfish, doing something purely for their own gratification because they want a party, or to feel good about themselves. At best they are monumentally arrogant, as they are assuming that they know better than their sister what she will like, even though they have been told, explicitly, that she doesn't want or like this kind of thing.

OP, I would suggest that you make arrangements to do something with your husband which you will enjoy, maybe an intimate dinner
    out. Consider organising something for yourself, which your husband can issue invites for (maybe a small family gathering on/near your birthday).

And if necessary, send them an email of similar and say "I've heard rumours that you are planning a surprise party for me on [date]. As I've made clear, I don't like big parties and hate the idea of a surprise party, and Husband and I have plans for that date in any event, so we will not be able to come. I wanted to let you know, so that you can let guests know that it won't be going ahead as a birthday party for me. If you wish, of course you are free to re-purpose the party as a pre-christmas get-together, as I know it is something you enjoy"

This is not someone who has done something which they genuinely but misguidedly thought you would like, where the intention was good but they just misjudged it. If that were the case, then it would be nice to go along with it and thank them for the thought,. but this is different. They know that you hate this kind of thing and have made a deliberate, purposeful choice to do something they know you will hate.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    There's quite a funny episode of Bob's Burgers which covers this. :) Watched it last night.

Personally, it would depend on what kind of party.... There's a surprise night out, there's a surprise night in, there's the surprise office party. All different dynamics.
  • savingsmad
    Options
    If you don't make a stand, you will be expected to go along with this sort of behaviour in future- plenty more unwelcome surprises, I'm afraid.
  • klew356
    klew356 Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I cannot think of anything worse to the point that I have mentioned to friends and family don’t do it, its not even the centre of attention thing, its probably more looking round the room on arrival thinking why are they here and why are they not type thing just not for me
  • Maddie57
    Maddie57 Posts: 183 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My advice would be if you feel you have to go is to contact a few of your close friends and ensure they are going. As a poster mentioned earlier they might not be because they know you hate surprise parties. Then at least you will have a support network and you can discuss how they can help you (rescue you from awkward conversations, do your speech for you, keep your glass topped up, help rein in your sisters etc).

I would have a discussion with your sisters afterwards and stress if they ever do this again you will walk out/not attend.
    Growing old is mandatory:
    Growing up is Optional:
    SPC no:28
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,835 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Maddie57 wrote: »
    My advice would be if you feel you have to go is to contact a few of your close friends and ensure they are going. As a poster mentioned earlier they might not be because they know you hate surprise parties. Then at least you will have a support network and you can discuss how they can help you (rescue you from awkward conversations, do your speech for you, keep your glass topped up, help rein in your sisters etc).

I would have a discussion with your sisters afterwards and stress if they ever do this again you will walk out/not attend.

This sounds good & being a nice person - BUT - they know what they are doing is unacceptable/unwelcome. If she makes the mistake of going along with this, what will she & her other sister be bullied into next. As I said, once a bully always a bully.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    OP, I couldn't just read and run.

I'm not going to offer advice etc, you've had tons of that, but I just want to wish you the very best of luck, and if you do actually go, I truly hope it's not as awful as you fear.

I say this as one who doesn't do "gatherings" of any kind, let alone surprise ones - in fact I've told my DH if he ever tries to arrange something along those lines for me, I will kill him; and I'd expect him to defend me from anyone else trying to arrange one, also.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • 123xyz
    123xyz Posts: 436 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I feel very sorry for you, I'd hate a surprise like this too. However, as it now will not be a surprise you have time to prepare for it which might make you feel better than turning up in your gardening clothes. Smile your way through and think to yourself "this too will pass". In a couple of months time, it will perhaps not feel like the horror you are currently expecting. Keep your chin up and knock 'em dead x
    Just off the border of your waking mind, there lies another time ....
  • Happier_Me
    Options
    I'd start my speech with...

'Well, I don't know what my sisters were thinking when they arranged this for me because those of you that know me well will know I hate surprise parties.
    I'm not keen on giving speeches either so I'll keep this short and sweet and handover to the party organisers to say their bit soon...

I wanted to thank everyone for coming tonight, it's lovely to see you...insert some personal messages to key friends here..'

I've cut out some of the speech because I was on a sarcastic roll and I'm sure you don't want to create a scene:D I'd say it all with a smile on your face...and I'd be tempted to buy your two sisters a token gift, ideally something that is acceptable as a gift but that you know they won't like, as a thank you for the 'surprise party'.

Or is this too passive aggressive?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport