Once your kids are earning should you charge them Housekeeping?

Replies

• belfastgirl23belfastgirl23 Forumite
    8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Jacks, let us know how the conversations go :)
  • Jacks_xxxJacks_xxx Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    :wave: We-ell... after reading both the threads I started on this topic (I'm SO greedy!) my son IS going to pay some "keep" but we're still negotiating the amount. :rolleyes:

His opening offer was £12.50 a week - which he thinks is quite generous given that none of his mates - including his 21 years old and working full time girlfriend - have to pay a penny in their houses - and in fact, seem to be constantly getting parental hand outs if DS is to be believed.

I think it's a pretty low ball offer in view of the fact that we used to give him twice that just to pay for for food every week when he was at college and this "keep" is s'posed to be a contribution to the bills etc as well.

(It's funny how £25 was never enough when it was going one way but it's extortion when the money is changing hands in the opposite direction huh?! :rolleyes: :D:p )

But it's a starting point.... :rolleyes:

We are definitely in need of any extra money, and it'll help make a man of him I hope - like Geordie Joe mentioned. (Although in a weird Mum way I quite like it when he's calling "What's for tea?" when he's barely inside the door yet so I hope he doesn't grow out of that too fast. :o )

He is the most vociferous defender of the Sky + and the super fast broadband when they look to be in danger from my budget cuts so maybe he can help pay for them!

The accounts dept at work have told him that they don't expect him to pay tax until next March so he's got £1166 "pocket money" to play with every month.

He can spare a few quid then huh? ;)

Love Jacks xxx :D

PS We worked out How much a 10%, 20%, 25% and a third would be and he visibly paled as the numbers got bigger and bigger.

(He could see that shiny Peugeot 206, huge plasma screen and Wii slipping away from him as we talked!) :rotfl:
    Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. Einstein
  • Jacks_xxx wrote: »
    PS We worked out How much a 10%, 20%, 25% and a third would be and he visibly paled as the numbers got bigger and bigger.

You could always really shock him and show him how much you pay for the mortgage/rent, gas, electricity, council tax, water rates, TV, Sky, house phone, internet connection, buildings insurance, contents insurance, pet insurance, food, cleaning products...:rotfl:

Lil
  • Jacks_xxx wrote: »
    Do let me know what you think.:D

Yes. Without doubt. It just needs to be relevant to the YPs income- neither too high as to be unmanageable nor too low as to be pointless. roughly in the same proportion as the overall family income/housekeeping.

Depending on family finances you could even save it up for them for a deposit on a car/house/rented flat whatever. Just don't tell them that's what you're doing.

Otherwise you'll never get them out of the house these days!
  • honeypophoneypop Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    There were some statistics on a thread somewhere on this site last week that said it costs approx £40 per week to keep a teenaged/adult child at home, so I think to get away with paying £12.50 per week is a joke tbh. Without being rude, as I understand you do WANT him to continue living at home and are just asking for a reasonable amount for him to pay to teach him about financial responsibility, this will not teach him that.

I, and most people I know, paid on average 20% of take home pay per month to our parents to continue living at home. Although that was 10 years ago, before the days of broadband and sky bills etc which would increase the costs nowadays.

You should not look upon it as charging him rent to live in his own home, as you said, but more contributing towards housekeeping costs now he is an adult and in full time employment.

If he were to realise how much it would cost him for everything he gets at home, if he rented somewhere, he would realise he is getting a good deal. Perhaps show him how much everything costs and work out how much that equals per person living in the house? This is what my mum had to do for my sister to show her it was reasonable. She wrote down:

1. Mortgage (i know this is isn't his responsibility, but he would have to pay rent anywhere else)
    2. Telephone
    3. Broadband
    4. Sky
    5. Gas
    6. Electricity
    7. Water
    8. Buildings/Contents Insurance
    9. Council Tax
    10. TV Licence
    11. Food Bill/Toiletries/Cleaning Products
    12. Any other costs

I think that is everything, she wrote the monthly costs down and divided it by 3 (mum, dad and sister) to show how much it costs to run the house and what that would be per person. In fact, my sister realised that what mum was proposing she should pay was a lot less than that and offered to pay more, although that wasn't the point of mum doing that exercise. I know that you’d have these running costs anyway even if he didn’t live there, but it shows him how much it all adds up to.

Plus your son may be getting some meals cooked for him, washing and ironing done, cleaning done for him etc, all services which don’t come for free if he was living elsewhere. You may wish to deduct some money if he takes on these things himself. Another preparation for him living away from home in the future.

Also, so what if his mates and gf don’t have to pay their parents, they may be in a more fortunate position with money, which he understands you are not. You could shock him with the fact that you do need the money and can get say £400 per month renting his room out if he doesn’t want to pay, if he’d rather find somewhere else if he doesn’t agree with paying his way!!

As others have said, if you don’t NEED all of the money he gives you, put it away for him (secretly!) to give him back when he buys his first house or something.
  • Jacks_xxxJacks_xxx Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    :T Thanks honeypop :T

That's a really fab idea.

There are three wage earning adults in our house and the bills (inc the mortgage but not the debts) come to just over £1000 a month.

I wonder what colour he'd go if I told him I wanted him to pay £333? :eek: :D

I just want him to be a man and niot make all the mistakes we made.

My hubby had a horrible time when his wages stopped being his personal pocket money and most of it started being used to pay bills every month.

It caused a lot of upset between us and I'm hoping my son can get a clue now and hopefully not get the same shock as his dad when he moves out.

Love Jacks xxx :D
    Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. Einstein
  • GladGlad Forumite, Board Guide
    18.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"][email protected][/EMAIL]. :)
    STAY HOME - PROTECT THE NHS - SAVE LIVES
    I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    Compers please read the Comping Guide
  • shellsuitshellsuit Forumite
    24.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    He will be earning £1166 a month and wants to contribute £50 a MONTH out of that? :eek: :eek: :eek: That's a joke surely?! :rotfl:

If he gave you £50 a week, just £200 a month, he would still be left with £966 which works out at almost £250 a week to spend as he pleases.

When I started work full time, I got the grand total of £88 a week, I gave my parents £30 of that! :cool:
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
  • tweetertweeter Forumite
    4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭✭
    Surely when you're considering getting knocked up, you should think about the bosses who will take your sproggs off your hands when the time comes.
    And as you'll have been preparing your kids at great expense, why quibble about their living expenses, when you should be demanding from the bosses for services rendered. After all you haven't been doing all this preparation for nothing - then again in this topsy turvy world.;)
    Peel back your baby's eyelid to find no nationality or religious identity mark there. Peer at your baby's eyes for them to reflect back just people-throw away your flags and religious symbols...

• At 17 i was earning £350 a month... and my parents gave me £50 a month allowance, never mind taking money off me :T

I bet the majority of you wudda taken £100 a month off me :o
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES