Options

Comments

• J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 25 October 2018 at 9:47PM
    Options
    AlSto wrote: »
    Which BIOS version are you running currently?
    Not sure - sorry

A random bit of paper lurking on the desk says the following (and I *think* it's right - will check later)
    American Megatrends Ver = 402
    VBios Ver = 2175.I15X550.007
    E C Ver = BO1SO9OAO1

EDIT - details of BIOS confirmed ...

Is this the issue, wherein the screen flickers when on battery power, but not via an external monitor, nor when on mains power?
    Not tried an external monitor, don't have one, but could maybe use HDMI to plug into TV to check, but otherwise, yes, correct, even on 90% it flickers! :(
  • AlSto
    AlSto Posts: 138 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    J_B wrote: »
    Not sure - sorry

A random bit of paper lurking on the desk says the following (and I *think* it's right - will check later)
    American Megatrends Ver = 402
    VBios Ver = 2175.I15X550.007
    E C Ver = BO1SO9OAO1

EDIT - details of BIOS confirmed ...

Not tried an external monitor, don't have one, but could maybe use HDMI to plug into TV to check, but otherwise, yes, correct, even on 90% it flickers! :(

You'll need to run that test;
    I have an ASUS TP550LA and after weeks of searching the internet for an answer I have the answer. It is an inverter issue that is not converting the DC current of the battery to the proper AC current which is causing the screen to flicker under load/ cpu usage. I was thinking something was wrong with the battery only having half of the capacity, hence why it was flickering around 60% consistently and as soon as it is plugged into the wall adapter the flickering stops. I was able to pull apart my screen and separate it from the bezel and replace the old inverter which was soldered to the LCD with a new LCD screen. If this is done there is a model number on the back of the screen just search for it either on Amazon or Ebay. After purchasing the screen I was thinking that I would lose the touch screen functionality but there is a digitizer that is overlaying the screen. A sure fire way to test this theory is to hook up your laptop to an external monitor like a TV with the HDMI or another screen with the video out connection. If the external monitor isn't flickering but the laptop is then it is not the video card, driver or battery. I saw a lot of other posts talking about BIOS and drivers. These most likely aren't the cause either. Drivers load after initial boot so boot to BIOS and if the screen is flickering it is most likely the inverter. I hope this helps someone. I was going nuts looking for a solution and I tried EVERYTHING. This worked for me and as I sit here and type this on the laptops battery power my percentage is down to 33% without a single flicker and I have full brightness, phone charging and internet radio playing.

There seem so many variables, so difficult to pinpoint without having the device to hand.
  • J_B
    Options
    Is the BIOS ok?

There seem so many variables, so difficult to pinpoint without having the device to hand.

I'm taking it abroad next week - feel free to visit!!! :D
  • AlSto
    First Post
    Options
    Is the BIOS ok?

I'm taking it abroad next week - feel free to visit!!! :D

BIOS is the latest.

If there is no flickering using battery via HDMI, then it's not the Graphics chip either. Does it still occur if you disable the Graphics card?
  • J_B
    edited 26 October 2018 at 5:18PM
    Options
    BIOS is the latest.

If there is no flickering using battery via HDMI, then it's not the Graphics chip either. Does it still occur if you disable the Graphics card?

Will check and report back ....

EDIT - plugged laptop into TV with HDMI - TV was fine, whilst laptop screen flickered!

Not sure how to disable graphics card, will google...

EDIT2 - disabling both and/or either "graphics adaptors" (Intel & Nvidia) in Device Manager makes no difference.
  • J_B
    Options
    Last night when I went to bed, I pulled the charger cable out and left the PC running on battery - it's set to go to 'sleep' after 5 hours.

This morning, the battery was at 35% but the screen was completely black till I plugged in the charger.
    I left it charging for a couple of minutes and pulled the cord again and ... black screen, not even a flicker.

:(
  • J_B
    Options
    Does anyone have any ideas what needs replacing (?) to stop this flickering?

:o
  • AlSto
    First Post
    Options
    Last night when I went to bed, I pulled the charger cable out and left the PC running on battery - it's set to go to 'sleep' after 5 hours.

This morning, the battery was at 35% but the screen was completely black till I plugged in the charger.
    I left it charging for a couple of minutes and pulled the cord again and ... black screen, not even a flicker.

:(

This ok now?

Travelling soon....
  • J_B
    Options
    This ok now?

Travelling soon....

No - the screen still flickers. :(
    But works fine on the HDMI cable.

I've travelled already! ;)
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    No - the screen still flickers. :(
    But works fine on the HDMI cable.

I've travelled already! ;)

I meant the black screen.

Post #73 is a possibility. There is no way for me to be sure. Personally, since this is such a prevalent issue, if it were my device, I would be reaching out to ASUS for more information.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure