🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

NST Penny Pinching GoSober Stoptober

Options

Comments

• nannygladys
    nannygladys Posts: 3,097 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone
    I know I haven't been on here lately but what with laptop going awol with daughter ( hers has given up the ghost and shes needed one for a course), suffering from the inevitable lurgy and DGC sitting I don't seem to have had much time for me!
    Anyway I managed 15 sfd's so far as Ive been too busy and poorly to go shopping, so Ive managed to save a bit to pay for my caravan winter storage - yay!! big achievement for me, and Im glad its out of the way. BUT I have to pay for next years site fees so I will still be watching the pennies so I can afford to do it, I have until the end of March but its not that far really when you look at paydays and theres Xmas before that! so ….
    I haven't done much excerising this month unless you count playing with various dgc - lol. but Im pleased that I haven't really spent much on food as the lottie is still producing some bits of veg and Ive also got a freezer full of them! I seem to be making soup all the time!!
    Anyway lunch is calling - yes soup and I will go and have a shufftie round everyones posts
    Nannyg
    2024 is going to be a positive year for me, and it's starting now!! 
    Buys: All budgeted and paid by cash!
    Jan - fridge/freezer
              Hoover
    Feb - milk frother, curtain pole x2, roller blind - bathroom, toilet seat, bath sink taps, kitchen sink waste unit and an extra double electric socket.
    March - raised bed for garden, bathroom cabinet, roller blind - kitchen
    April - nothing
    May - nothing as yet 
  • Kerry_Woman
    Kerry_Woman Posts: 3,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    NSD today 18/20.
    Walked part of the way to and from the sorting office to pick up a parcel.
    Not much else today apart from chilling out.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
  • Shrewbie
    Shrewbie Posts: 747 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Hello everyone

Reporting NSD 14/15 today. Very pleased with that. Going to re-adjust target I think to 20 NSD.
    Desperately want to pay off debt and have savings before xmas. I hope it's manageable.

Challenge - Doing okay with spanish.

Banned - No booze and no sugar today.

Organise - needed to batch cook at the wkend and didn't.

Exercise - desperately need to work out how best to do this! Need a new pair of trainers which I need to budget for.

Today I'm grateful for sunshine and the thought of another bank holiday here next week (means only 3 days of work for me)
    Student loan £5849
    House deposit €18K/€40k
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,757 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Today I am grateful for dd making great progress at her swim school, for finding out that she can stay in the pool afterwards so tomorrow we can both swim, for sunshine encouraging me to get ouside, for removing half of my rasp canes (I want to create one of those square foot garden thingies), for pacing myself with the digging and therefore not wrecking my hands (always a good thing), for red tartan fabric making gorgeous bunny clothing, for dd making more sylvan1ans stuff, for still not needing to wear socks outside.
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • crazy_cat_lady
    Options
    Today I am grateful for spending time with my mam and her treating me to a trip to the cinema, for the kids being really well behaved whilst I attended an important online meeting this morning and being able to get a doctor's appointment for tomorrow (!) - it must be fate.
    And I have bagged a nsd as well :D
  • lcc86
    lcc86 Posts: 2,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Evening all, busy day at work today which is both unusual and good as it stopped me browsing and looking at stuff I don't need. Should be busier tomorrow as well. Picked up another NSD today which is good, I'm now on 14. Will need to pay for parking tomorrow but as it's a work expense that I can claim back I'll be cheeky and not count it as a spend :p

A week until payday and I still have a decent chunk of money left for the first time in ages. There are a few things I do genuinely need e.g. New carbon monoxide alarm and computer ink, so I'll save as much as I can for those sorts of things and try not to fritter it away like I normally do.
    Save £3,000 emergency fund #79 - £2,073.28 as of 05/24
    Pay off credit card by December 2024 - £392/£2,000
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,920 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    Had to induct a new staff member today - a temp of six weeks service inducting another temp as all other admins are off for half term. She said I was really helpful, bless her. Not sure why we need another admin when I have barely anything to do. Both bosses off until a Tuesday so I will be scratching around for Work. Ah well, think of the money. Talking of which the agency has transposed my NI number so some poor woman in Coventry has had her housing benefit stopped (received a letter at home addressed to the lady). A pure data breach which I need to sort out tomorrow grrr.

In challenge news NSD 9/15 I think. Had a small spend at the garden centre yesterday and bought some dried fruit snack at lunchtime.
    Food from stores, kids are on half term but I've got healthy stuff in for them.
    Made a list of Christmas pressies I will shop for on Thursday when I'm off. Nearly bought pigs in blankets to freeze on Saturday. I've been told everyone wants more than two each this year!
    Hope everyone has a good evening.
    Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP: HSC Winter Panel 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert 14/24
  • mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Plodding is working. Washed up until there was no more space on the rack or draining board, more rubbish out, clean washing brought upstairs, bathmat changed, socks, knickers, bras and t-shirts all folded and away in the drawers.

Messed the room up a bit (a lot actually) by going through the craft stuff but the good news is I shall see quite a lot leave at weekend (everything bought for a particular project that didn't happen or bought because it appealed). Small set of cardboard drawers nearly full and there will be 4 or 5 boxes worth of stuff going - they had loads of boxes last week but they seem to have disappeared.

Went to mum's, sat in the sunshine to eat my lunch (she had just had her nails done and the smell of the glue stuff bothers me) and stayed outside to do some little jobs as it was so nice. Fitted a screw inside the key box so they hang up instead of interfering with the lock. 'Hammered' a nail into some filler I did a while ago to hang mum's basket on. Did more jigsaw.

Today I am grateful for sunny weather, a peaceful time at mum's and reducing my craft stash.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,883 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Haven't posted for ages yet again, been really struggling with motivation but hopefully will try to post more regularly. Lost count of how many NSDs but know I've spent far too much. Ah well will salvage what I can of this month and aim to do better next month.
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10814.10/£15000 (72.1% saved). Emergency fund - £1562.44/£2000 (78.1% saved).
  • plumduff55
    Options
    Hi, another NSD for me today - that's me up to 11/15.

BUDGET I was out yesterday and bought a can of cola and a diary for 2019. If I hadn't desperately needed a cold drink I wouldn't have bought the diary. But just thought I might as well get hung for a sheep than a Lamb :rotfl:

NSD I visited Bournemouth today (first time ever) and ds treated me to fish and chips on the beach. So no money spent.

EXERCISE Yesterday I walked two miles each way to a local garden centre. Today I enjoyed a long walk along the promenade at Bournemouth. Beautiful and sunny.

I'm travelling home on Wednesday so spending will hopefully get back to normal then xx
    Debt free - Mortgage free - Work free ( in that order :) )
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 2 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport