NST Penny Pinching GoSober Stoptober

Options

Comments

• thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 October 2018 at 8:14AM
    Options
    Well, that shall be a fun evening. The decision on how to approach the finance chat and IF is made.

Another letter arrived for DH last night, I opened it this morning after he left for the day. He increased his OD by another £100 :mad:.

So I left the open letter on the counter, see what he has to say when he comes home.

On a positive note, Asda substituted their own brand hoops cereal with the Nestl3 one and DS said he likes the cheaper ones better :)
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • GlendaSugarbean
    Options
    Thrifty that sounds very sensible. Can you also agree a fairer split of bills and holiday costs? Maybe say that you need to build up your savings/EF and if there isn't a real reason not to split the bills you would like to go back to that. At that point, his finances are for him to manage. Are you due any joint financial decisions like a remortgage? You could be saving for a lump sum for that, it it might also focus his tiny money mind?
  • GlendaSugarbean
    Options
    Amazingly, I achieved a NSD yesterday so am up to 9/15. We are off to visit family for a few days and we have some food in the house, so shouldn't need to do s food shop (other than for cat supplies) until next week :j

Organise: I mucked out my handbag, which was in a right state. Among the usual detritus I discovered seven (!) pens, a torch, a tube of antiseptic ointment and a fork.
  • crazy_cat_lady
    Options
    Morning all :hello: :coffee:
    I was too tired when I got home last night to get online, so here I am now - bright(!?!) and early on a Saturday morning. I went back to work yesterday and survived the day and now have half term to try and rest a bit.
    Things are a bit up and down - the finances are dire and there's no end in sight re the divorce settlement, so that is stressing me. My anxiety is high and self esteem low. Mothernerd - thank you for another incredibly inspirational post. I find the things you say so reassuring, and it makes me feel like I can get through this and everything will be ok.
    No nsd's to report at the moment, but I should get one today. I'm just about to have a coffee and try and pull myself round a bit - I've woken with a bit of a fuzzy head.
  • Saving_Glut
    Saving_Glut Posts: 212 Forumite
    edited 21 October 2018 at 4:17AM
    Options
    Belated update for Friday:

NSD: 11/15

Christmas Planning. More research on Mum’s pressie; the idea s slowly forming!

Income: Sold another item on Facebook & completed another survey (33% way through earning my £50 reward). Total extra income for October: £170.60. Have visitors this weekend, but will aim to advertise one item for sale each day until the end of October.

As an aside, I cheekily took up an offer with a company to spend 30 minutes on a Sales Skypecall with them to earn a free Alex@ dot worth £50. Had the
    call yesterday which actually was very worthwhile. Yeh!

QOTD: “Where Focus Goes, Energy Flows.” Tony Robbins.
    IO BTL1 Mortgage was £97,693.54 on 09/08/18; £83,140 on 31/12/19.:D
    Sealed Pot Challenge 12: #078: £150.36
    Save £12k in 2020;
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 21 October 2018 at 7:00AM
    Options
    Thrifty that sounds very sensible. Can you also agree a fairer split of bills and holiday costs? Maybe say that you need to build up your savings/EF and if there isn't a real reason not to split the bills you would like to go back to that. At that point, his finances are for him to manage. Are you due any joint financial decisions like a remortgage? You could be saving for a lump sum for that, it it might also focus his tiny money mind?

The last remortgage went through fine as they never ask about his OD but my CC!

We split the bills the way we did to enable him to pay his OD off but he obviously abused this trust.

I'll be back on Monday to reply to other posts too. Have a nice weekend everyone
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,887 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    Haven't managed to get on for a few days. Lost 1.5lb at fat club on Thursday :) Met former work colleagues on Wednesday, helped out at a church fundraiser last night - busy busy. Looking forward to running some errands today and having a relaxing evening in front of SCD.

CCL - glad to hear you are feeling slightly better. Hope you get lots of rest this week.
    Thrifty - Although DH doesn't have an overdraft, he too is a bit rubbish with money. Gets £500 personal spends each month and does the lot - lunches (too senior to be taking in packed lunch apparently), tobacco, pub visits once a week. I manage on £165 by taking in lunch and still manage to fund my SW weekly fee, girls weekends away (Lisbon this year), presents for DH (he charged mine to the joint CC!) etc. All bills and savings are from our joint income though, we just have personal spends as well.

On the challenge front - I've managed 9/15 NSDs which is rubbish compared to the rest of you. Will be a spend day today as I'm buying the weekly shop. DDad is apparently staying for part of the week too, so I need enough in to cover 6 people for dinner on some nights. DD needs her nails infilled and I need to go to Boots for hair dye and foundation (have a voucher for some money off).
    Exercise - still managing my steps - did 17k on Wednesday.
    Christmas - I have Thursday and Friday off this week so will be making a proper start. Still need to go to Debenham$ for my order - will go this weekend.
    Have a good day all,
    Coxy x
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading Into the Water by Paula Hawkins 14/24
  • Chandelier.
    Options
    Afternoon,

Today has been a spend day, so I'm still on 7/15 NSDs.

The boy went to an indoor trampoline place, total spends £17.50. We spent a total of two hours there and the boy loved catching up with his friend outside of school. He is now worn out and chilling out with some snacks infront of tele.

We went Christmas shopping and I spent £48 on presents for my brother, his wife, son and daughter. I set a budget of £50, so came slightly under. I then bought two photo frames for £6.78, which I will put a nice picture of the boy in and give it to his dad/grandparents for Christmas. I just need to get the photo copied and reprinted- I can't see that being expensive. I set a budget of £15 each for his Dad/Grandparents so will hopefully come way under all of that as its more of a token present then anything.

So that is six presents out the way. I am trying to do the small bits as I go along and will concentrate on the bigger bits in the future. I will move money over from my Christmas fund later to cover all these outgoings .

Whilst out, I also treated myself to some new earrings, bedding and some pretty spends. The boy also got some slime, yak. Our total spend there was £36.90. I got a 30% discount on the bedding and the thing I love the most about it is although the design is rather simple, it's quite elegant and will go with the colour scheme of my new bedroom when I come to redecorate.

So yes, it has been quite a spendy day but all is covered money-wise. Nothing has gone onto a CC which is a bonus. I am going to start leaving these at home.

I have a few things left to do on my to do list.

- Sort out paperwork/post and shred what is not needed.
    - Put makeup/brushes into organiser.
    - Declutter one corner of my bedroom.
    - Tea from stores, it's pizza night tonight.
    - Organise and make an inventory of food we have in freezer.

That is pretty much it. I am working tomorrow so should have another NSD. The same goes for Monday.

I am trying to make plans with people, more to get myself out the house so I don't withdraw myself any furher. I am finding it hard to balance at the moment but at least I am trying. This ship won't sink.
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    £104/£619.

Check out my Diary
    :D
  • Kerry_Woman
    Kerry_Woman Posts: 3,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Was a spend day - which included food shop and haircut. The money spent has been put into my spending notebook.
    Am hoping that I do not have to do any food shopping next Saturday.
    Did park run - walked the 5k route.
    Went to the cinema and watched the film with Rowan Atkinson. Really enjoyed it.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,728 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Today I am grateful for some washing nearly drying outside, for another huffing and puffing 'run', for discovering that the venue has showers - so I grabbed one, for still having more fresh rasps, for dd's friend being outside for her to play with, for finding some rugby on the box, for fat knitting needles meaning quick progress (tho I've had to re-start as I overestimated the number of stitches by about 1/3, oops), for finding a S Wars hoodie for dh in a ch shop.
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure